What's the biggest thing you've done to improve your diet?

Replies

• kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    This will sound weird, but I started eating.

I used to work 12 hours days, 7 days a week and would have coffee in the morning, no lunch (didn't get a break) and then the first thing I actually ate every day was dinner at around 10pm. I do believe the work hours, coupled with lack of breaks and me not even eating breakfast was going to kill me. And I mean literally.

So I quit that and now I eat at least breakfast or lunch every day. (I know it isn't perfect, but I'm making progress.) Most days I do get three meals in and I feel much better than I did in those 'dark years'. I have more energy and I just generally feel like I'm healthier.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Anyone notice when you stop eating alot of processed sugary stuff, fruit tastes SO MUCH BETTER!? Now if I want something sweet, i eat a banana and Im sassified :)

The thought that some people don't experience the sweet delicious wonderful awesomeness of fruit deeply saddens me.

I eat dessert with every meal. I love fruit!! <3<3
  • skywaka
    skywaka Posts: 2 Member
    Nailed it right on the head; don't buy junk food, don't have junk food later when you need a snack. Nicely said, +1 !
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    I stopped buying/eating crackers and chips. Salty foods are a weakness for me! Can't have them around! Also, I cut out diet coke! Got to the point I would drink 3 or 4 a day. No more! Maybe 1 every few weeks and it doesn't even taste that good to me anymore.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    The biggest and best thing I've done to improve my diet is to eliminate most processed foods. That covers a huge range of things and most of them won't be found in my kitchen. The few exceptions are things like mustard.
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    For me it was sugary soda and cut down my portions.

Logging my meals was a big help in watching my
    portions.
  • paraif
    paraif Posts: 1 Member
    Switched to mostly raw fruits and vegetables. Whether it be in salads, smoothies, home juiced juice, or just straight. It's done more than help me lose weight. I have my energy back, its easier to work out, I have more stamina and I sleep better at night.
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    One of my biggest changes has been a reduction in my alcohol intake, a combination of conscious calorie reduction and just not wanting to drink as much when I'm waking up at 5 for a 70 miles ride.

It's not even the booze itself that is the caloric killer, it was all the mixers that are sugar bombs.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Eating whatever I want, just eating less of it.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Eating breakfast, I always used to skip it but now that I have protein smoothies for breakfast it helps my energy levels a lot. I guess that would tie into now eating fruit, I used to loathe it but now I have it every day.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Cut way down on the alcohol. TONS of calories there.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Back around mid October I was nearly out of food in the house. Except for a carton of oatmeal. Well, I didn't want to go out and get groceries right then and there and then come home and make breakfast, so I decided I would eat some oatmeal. It was great. So, I started eating oatmeal for every breakfast except for the time I ran out and I wanted to see how it felt to not have oatmeal. So, I went a couple of days and it wasn't good. So, I don't let myself run out of oatmeal anymore. This summer I will be eating it cold after soaking it in almond milk overnight.

A lot of things started happening after I made that change and things are still in progress so to speak. At that point I hadn't eaten meat for about 10 month's, but shortly after that I quit eating eggs. Then a couple month's later I quit eating dairy as well. I can't handle having as much sodium as I used to either and I really love salt. Food in general just tastes better. I have recently and this is just in the last week or so fallen back in love with grapefruit. I make a lot more food from scratch. I don't eat out very much anymore, besides it's hard to find vegan options on most menus anyway. I never liked junk food much anyway so maybe that is part of the reason I don't crave it, but now it's gone beyond I don't care for it to it sort of makes me ill to look at it. So, I am not even tempted to buy it when I go shopping.

I can't say how much weight I have lost since October because I didn't weigh myself at that point. I wasn't trying to lose weight or anything. I was just too lazy to go buy what I normally would have had for breakfast. But, after a month I noticed my tops were looser of all things, so then I tried on a pair of pants I couldn't wear the month before and they fit, yippee. I still don't have a scale. So, I put my starting weight at what it was when I went to the doctor's office recently. But, I was really much heavier than that, I just don't know if it was 20 lbs or even as much as 30 lbs.
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 253 Member
    I gave up sweet n low. I used to put it in my tea, on my cereal, on my fruit-- it was even in my diet coke. I gave it all up-- I now have my tea plain-- giving up diet coke was not as hard as I thought it would! Also-- I eat way less now!
  • Stop snacking between meals times or when I'm bored.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    I cut out the 6 Mt Dew's a day, and reduced portion sizes ...started counting calories ....
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    I started doing this years ago and never really gave it much thought or credit as it seemed somewhat obvious to me. Basically I don't buy any junk food from the grocery store. This way I don't have it around when I'm feeling snacky. "Junk" is up for debate of course but basically I don't buy anything that can be easily consumed on it's own that has a poor protein/fat/carb ratio. There's a least one point every evening that I get a snack craving and if I had junk around I'd probably eat it! Thankfully I'm far too lazy to go to the store to satisfy my craving so I end up making something simple and healthy instead.

What's your best tip?

3 things:

1) I learned how to cook which meant that I no longer was dependent on restaurant or fast food high in preservatives, saturated fats, etc.
    2) A shift from a meat/protein rich diet to a more complex carb diet. I eat 3 servings of fruit per day and one serving of meat, either chicken or fish, per day.
    3) Last but not least. Started counting my calories. This was huge.
  • kistockman
    kistockman Posts: 80 Member
    Enjoying food by cooking and trying new healthy foods and recipes all of the time. Staying engaged with the food I eat, which includes tracking my food is the one thing that keeps my weight maintained.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    I bring my lunch to work. I pack up healthy stuff and actually look forward to it. If I'm left to decide on where to get lunch, I always end up regretting my decision because I pick something bad when Im in a rush.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Awesome guys. Looks like cutting out crap is the most popular choice! Just last night I had the munchies and would have destroyed a large bag of chips if they were around. Had to "settle" for yoghurt and hemp hearts plus a protein shake ;)
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Eating whatever I want, just eating less of it.
    This is what I do.