Any heavy lifters with breast implants?

Options
I'm getting a breast augmentation the first week of May & I'm concerned about losing muscle mass while I'm recovering. I wanted to know how anyone who does intense work outs, that has gotten implants has dealt with this? How much time did you take off? Were there any lighter exercises that you were able to do to keep in shape? Thanks!

Replies

• sindikumva
    Options
    This is really something you should be asking your doctor about. The basic rule though is that you should take it easy after having major surgery.
  • sindikumva
    Options
    Also, I'm not speaking from experience. Woot woot to au-naturale!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I just want this to appear in my thread :) Carry on.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether you have them under or over the muscle. Under muscle, you have to be careful for a while longer, not to dislodge the implant and end up lopsided. Above muscle, probably 4-6 weeks is sufficient, but ask your doctor for the official answer. You won't lose a huge amount of muscle in that time. It is more important to make sure you are healed properly. You can add the muscle back later. Over doing it too early can result in having to have more surgery to repair, and an even longer recovery. Make sure you are eating plenty of protein during recovery time, to help preserve as much mass as you can.
  • BlackEyedPanda
    BlackEyedPanda Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My mom got her breasts done a few years back and she was allowed some very light exercise the same wee as the surgery - can't remember exactly how many days it was. The exercise wasn't heavy and she didn't really lose any muscle mass so that it wouldn've been notable.

Look it up
    http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/bcc_exercises06_web_0.pdf

You will need to check with your doctor when you can start heavy lifting and it will all depend on the type of surgery you are having as well. But don't worry, you shouldn't lose too much muscle :)

And good luck with the surgery!
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a breast augmentation the first week of May & I'm concerned about losing muscle mass while I'm recovering. I wanted to know how anyone who does intense work outs, that has gotten implants has dealt with this? How much time did you take off? Were there any lighter exercises that you were able to do to keep in shape? Thanks!

This is something you need to ask your surgeon. As every surgeon has their own post op instructions.

It is important that you follow your surgeons instructions,as you want to heal properly and not mess up anything.

I think the average time off is about 6 weeks post surgery.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I just want this to appear in my thread :) Carry on.

^^this
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far. Yeah, of course I will do exactly as my Dr. says & take the proper amount of time to heal. But I just was curious about other ladies who are very active & do intensive workouts what it was like for them to take time off etc. My diet is normally very high in protein so that is good & I'm going to keep working out right up until the day before surgery so that I can get as much in as I can before I take that long period of down time. I've wanted to to this from the time I was in my early 20's (I'm 32 now) so I definitely will not take any chances of messes them up or having them not heal right.
  • McButtski
    McButtski Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Well done to you for doing nothing, no really, how proud you must be of your genetics.
  • BlackEyedPanda
    BlackEyedPanda Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Reasons for breast surgery are many and while a lot of men claim they like "natural" breasts, most people could not tell a well done boob job apart from the 'au naturale'.

My mom had a boob job because she ended up with one and a half boobs after breast surgery, my sister had breast reduction surgery to help her with back pains and a friend had surgery because her one breast was nearly two cups bigger than the other which was causing a load of back problems on her and she could not find a bra to fit &had to wear padding on the other side. Most breast surgery is not done to get "nicer" boobs. Don't just assume, it may offend people who don't have a choice.
  • camarogirl2011
    Options
    I've been augmented twice.... Don't worry about what you will lose like I did. I stressed about it and its little if any.. I think you will find after your break, you will come back stronger and with more ambitious than ever!
    Speedy recovery to you :-)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the surgery, how long it takes for your scars to heal, the number of internal and external stitches, under the muscle versus over, partial under or complete under with mesh, etc. The size of the "pocket" that your doctor creates will also impact this. If the pocket is too small and you work out too soon, you could develop scar tissue and you'll end up with super hard implants that look horrible.

I have under the muscle with mesh because I'm a bilateral mastectomy person (woot woot for Natrelle brand silicone that won't kill me). I waited several weeks (8ish) before I incorporated arm exercises, and several months (almost a year) before I started doing major chest work like the bench press. I know I have a different reason for having them, but implants are implants and they basically do the same thing.

For what it is worth, I spent a bit of time on other websites reading threads about bodybuilder women with implants. LOTS of women bodybuilders have implants, so the topic is discussed pretty often in online forums. It should give you some understanding of how they work with them.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Reasons for breast surgery are many and while a lot of men claim they like "natural" breasts, most people could not tell a well done boob job apart from the 'au naturale'.

My mom had a boob job because she ended up with one and a half boobs after breast surgery, my sister had breast reduction surgery to help her with back pains and a friend had surgery because her one breast was nearly two cups bigger than the other which was causing a load of back problems on her and she could not find a bra to fit &had to wear padding on the other side. Most breast surgery is not done to get "nicer" boobs. Don't just assume, it may offend people who don't have a choice.

Exactly. It's really rude actually. I'm not someone who has small boobs & just wants them bigger. I wouldn't mind having small & cute breasts, but that's not the case. Without going into detail, they are basically deformed looking & It's something that has always bothered me, but I've never been in a place where I could afford to have it fixed. Now I am so I am treating myself, I've worked very hard on my body to lose weight & tone up & I want to feel proud when I look in the mirror, not self conscious & ashamed.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    It all depends on the surgery, how long it takes for your scars to heal, the number of internal and external stitches, under the muscle versus over, partial under or complete under with mesh, etc. The size of the "pocket" that your doctor creates will also impact this. If the pocket is too small and you work out too soon, you could develop scar tissue and you'll end up with super hard implants that look horrible.

I have under the muscle with mesh because I'm a bilateral mastectomy person (woot woot for Natrelle brand silicone that won't kill me). I waited several weeks (8ish) before I incorporated arm exercises, and several months (almost a year) before I started doing major chest work like the bench press. I know I have a different reason for having them, but implants are implants and they basically do the same thing.

Thank you, this is great information. I know from going to being totally flat chested, to being where there is something new & kind of in the way is going to be a huge adjustment in general, let alone when I start working out again lol! This should be interesting.....
    For what it is worth, I spent a bit of time on other websites reading threads about bodybuilder women with implants. LOTS of women bodybuilders have implants, so the topic is discussed pretty often in online forums. It should give you some understanding of how they work with them.
  • Flickenstein
    Options
    need pictures for proof
  • nyla2120
    Options
    I've been augmented twice.... Don't worry about what you will lose like I did. I stressed about it and its little if any.. I think you will find after your break, you will come back stronger and with more ambitious than ever!
    Speedy recovery to you :-)

Thank you so much! This makes me feel really good about things :wink:
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have thought about getting implants because I had pretty sizeable boobs and then they just deflated as I have been losing weight... I think I actually lost there first.. Grrrr... Mine is strictly for asthetic purposes.. My guy is the only thing holding me back (and the cost) because he says natural is better...
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It's been 3 months since mine and I still feel pressure lifting, in to read later.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    You should probably ask a medical professional.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Don't have an answer to your question but I just want to say be careful. My sister had hers augmented (mainly to help with the way they sagged after two pregnancies) and now they look atrocious and she has no feeling there because of nerves that were severed. Do your research on the best surgeons in your area.