HELP - BREAKFAST SUCKS

Options

Replies

• shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I LIVE for my breakfast :)

fat free greek yogurt (right now mostly yoplait source vanilla greek 0%
    1 cup frozen blueberries (thawed and slightly warm)
    1//2 cup frozen cherries (thawed and slightly warm)
    1 small banana sliced
    1/2 serving of a high fibre cereal (all bran bud or low fat granola
    10-12 almonds

stir it all up and YUMMO!! :D

It's between 350-450 calories depending on the yogurt and how much I put in of each ingredient.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I got this breakfast parfait recipe from Jillian Michaels' website and have modified it just a bit:

1/2 c plain non fat yogurt
    1/4 c non fat cottage cheese
    1/4 t vanilla
    1 packet Truvia sweetener
    Mix the first four ingredients together

1 T chopped walnuts
    1/4 c Uncle Sam cereal
    Mix the walnuts and cereal together (not with the yogurt mixture)

1/2 c blueberries
    1/2 banana diced
    Mix the fruit together

Layer in a tall glass, 1/2 of the yogurt mixture,1/2 of the cereal mixture, 1/2 of the fruit mixture, repeat. The cottage cheese can be somewhat high in sodium but you can find low sodium cottage cheese or go all yogurt and omit the cottage cheese.

I also do egg whites with veggies and just a little cheese, or oatmeal with blueberries and walnuts. The Uncle Sam cereal has no added salt (or anything else for that matter, it's just wheat and flax), so you could eat it for cereal. Kashi waffles (or homemade) with fresh fruit instead of syrup (no butter), or homemade whole wheat pancakes with fresh fruit.
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Eat non-breakfast foods! Make a salad with protein and healthy fats and lots of veggies...you'll be full all morning and have great energy!
  • tiffanyarowell
    Options
    check out the Nature's Path brand cereals, they are low sodium and made with whole grains. I like the sunrise vanilla and the heritage flakes with half a banana mixed in.
  • bertabird
    bertabird Posts: 52
    Options
    I love oatmeal cookies with cherries and nuts for breakfast. I also love to eat oatmeal (I use salt substitute for my husbands') with chopped peaches, cinnamon and I throw in some protein powder (vanilla or non-flavored). The protein helps to fill you, the oatmeal has a good amount of fiber and it is a lower carb option. Don't skip breakfast... it is the most important meal of the day. Breakfast breaks the fast your body was on while you were sleeping. Eight hours without food. Your metabolism works better with fuel to kick start it in the morning. ;o) My friend hates breakfast foods. She eats a sandwich with whatever she wants in it. There is always a lean protein, a dairy (cheese), and veggies. Another friend eats a smoothie. She loves yogurt, frozen berries, protein powder and almond milk (use regular milk if you'd rather). It's filling and tastes amazing!
  • jannemarie74
    jannemarie74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Over in the recipe section someone posted a recipe using eggs, spinach, mushrooms and cheese and baking them in muffin tins. My husband makes these about once a week and stores them in the refrigerator so I can take them to work for breakfast. She posted them as 62 calories each but I came up without about 50. I like to add some salsa to them too.

Other days I have oats or yogurt with blueberries.

i think i must be a bit dim because i cannot find a recipe section (only my own recipes) could someone please tell me how i access this part of the site? thanks in advance!
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    So don't eat regular "breakfast" foods. You can have lunch foods for breakfast if you like and especially if they fit nicely into your calories/macros. I had a tuna sandwich for breakfast this morning =)

This for sure. Once I realized it was not crazy to eat grilled chicken and veggies or a turkey and cheese rolls ups, etc. for breakfast, I was able to keep my carb intake in check, and also felt more satisfied until lunch time.
    This morning, I had 2 crustless quiche muffins (eggs, bacon, scallions and cottage cheese baked in a muffin tin), and cut strawberries.
  • mnqi
    mnqi Posts: 36
    Options
    I love breakfast, I am a cereal girl....but I guess that could be one reason why I am overweight. When I eat healthly, my go to breakfast has always been oatmeal and fruit.....right now, I am trying to load on protein so it is eggs. Here is my problem, I feel like once I start eating....I can't stop. So, I try to hold off on breakfast and have an early lunch. I am sure the "right" thing to do is eat in 2 hours of waking up....something healthy with protein....but, I just know myself....once I start...it is like, yum food.
  • cougar2007
    Options
    Some of my breakfast meals:

1) (3) Egg whites and whole grain toast
    2) Protein Shake with water and strawberries
    3) Oatmeal (no flavoring, just plain) with a tsp of honey, pinch of cinnamon and 1 cup of milk. Sometimes I will add strawberries of blueberries
    4) (4) Turkey Sausage links for Jimmy Deans (awesome booster of protein for the morning)
    5) Protein Bar
    6) Protein Pancakes.
  • HomeBody52
    Options
    My kids like oatmeal, but I don't, so sometimes they get that while I do something else.

I mentioned on another forum on another site that I really wanted to like oatmeal, but I just didn't like it and I hated the texture. Someone suggested that I try Bircher Muesli. You put the ingredients together at night, pop it in the refrigerator, and eat it cold the next morning. The texture is so much different and I've learned to like it a lot.

I started with 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup milk, Splenda, walnuts, fruit, and then put it in the fridge overnight..

Now I use 1/2 cup quick rolled oats (you can use old fashioned rolled oats, too, but I prefer quick), about 3/4 cup milk, a drizzle of honey, and walnuts, and put in the fridge overnight. I usually have a banana with it, but I've also tried apple, peach, pineapple, and mixed berries. All are good, but banana is my favorite. When choosing bananas as the fruit, add it in the morning. They don't do well spending the night in the oatmeal.

Since all I have to do is take it out of the fridge and grab a banana, it's perfect for a busy morning. I don't need a mid-morning snack when I have this for breakfast, either.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am fine with balancing my foods for lunch and dinner but breakfast kills me!

I never know what is a good breakfast. Cereal is high in salt (which I have to watch) eggs can be fatty and high in cholesterol... I am stuck and about to give up on the normal sense of breakfast and switch to eating things like lunch and dinner foods in the morning!

Please tell me your favorite "Healthy" breakfasts.

There is no evidence that eggs raise bad cholesterol. They do have a lot of calories. Eat one or two.

For breakfast, I often have no fat Greek yoghurt with muesli. I add whatever fruit is ripe. It has fiber, protein, no salt, and tastes good.
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Omlette with some diced mushrooms spinach and tomatoes with a sprinkling of cheese on top season wirh oregano- yummy :)
  • wannabfitnevarez
    wannabfitnevarez Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    :drinker: coffee for sure, and i usually have the honey wheat thins that are only 100 calories for both slices with a little bit of butter for taste, and a special k strawberry cereal bar which is only 90 calories. that keeps me good for breakfast on the go. and if i decide to snack inbetween breakfast and lunch which i always do i reach for a granola bar, or pudding cups or have special k chips cheddar which are an awesome snack because you can eat 27chips only 110 calories.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Cook oatmeal. A serving of Quaker Steel Cut Oats has 0 sodium. They recommend adding salt during the cooking process but I don't and it comes out just fine. And you can eat it cold if you want to - I do this all the time because I'm lazy. LOL

Also, I'm sure there are some dry cereals out there that aren't too bad sodium wise. Do some research and check the labels.

Or just eat whatever the hell you want for breakfast. There's been plenty of times where I've eating leftovers or a tuna sandwich because that sounded better to me than a bowl of cereal. Who cares?!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of cottage cheese and fruit or greek yogurt for breakfast
  • aaronsparrow7
    Options
    do not be affraid of eggs!!! they are NOT BAD FOR YOU YES EVEN THE FAT! (YOLK) eggs are one of the very few foods that are used by the body 100% if you dont like the fat/colesterol even after reading a article remove the yolk you then have pretty much just protien and about 17kcals from the egg left
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat breakfast at 6:00 in the morning so I always have a "portable" breakfast to eat at my desk...usually instant oatmel or hard boiled eggs and then an orange or something for midmorning...

Same here, except I do reduced-sugar oatmeal with a greek yogurt.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing pretty much every morning. Coffee with Stevia and sugar free coffee creamer, sliced strawberries (1c) and 1/2c lowfat cottage cheese.
    Oatmeal and blueberries or cinnamon is also a good choice.
    Greek yogurt and berries and almonds or sunflower seeds and honey.
    Low sodium turkey bacon with one egg on a slice or two of whole grain or rye toast.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Eggs are not bad for you. The cholesterol in eggs does not affect your levels like it was once believed to. I eat 2 or 3 eggs most mornings, sometimes with whole grain toast and/or fruit, sometimes not. Otherwise, I make a smoothie with yogurt, berries, almond milk, protein powder and a little stevia.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I nearly always eat either eggs with some meat and toast, or pancakes with some meat. Be careful not to obssess too much about your food choices. Set your protein, fat, and carb goals and work to meet those each day. If you are cutting out things like eggs, then you might want to consider evaluating your diet. IMO, there is no such thing as an unhealthy food, rather your diet as a whole, as in everything you eat, is what is either healthy or unhealthy.