Replies

• 1jobean
    1jobean Posts: 84
    Options
    Agree
  • JCES10
    JCES10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How would I like my heart attack? By eating the unhealthy pleasures of life or by stressing out on what to eat? Definitely by eating what I like, just kidding! Life is to short and youth even shorter so just have whatever makes you happy with MODERATION.
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    And don't be scared of FAT! I eat 5% carb, 65% fat and 30% protein. If you reduce carbs, the fat keeps you satiated. If you find yourself sensitive to grains and sugars that trigger cravings, then this is the way to go. Research it for yourself.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. I have tried to incorporate meat into my diet, but it just doesn't make me feel well. I will eat fish and eggs. My food diary is open now. Constructive comments would be great.
    I'm a vegetarian, too. I eat tons of egg whites because they're all protein and I add protein powder to my oatmeal. There are tons of way to reduce carbs/increase protein on a vegetarian diet. I did vegan keto in the past (carbs >50g net). It was hard, but it's possible.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    And don't be scared of FAT! I eat 5% carb, 65% fat and 30% protein. If you reduce carbs, the fat keeps you satiated. If you find yourself sensitive to grains and sugars that trigger cravings, then this is the way to go. Research it for yourself.
    Fat is actually super satiating. I can eat a tsp of peanut butter and some fried seaweed and be full for quite a while.
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Kristie,

Could you give me an example meal for these percentages?
  • grace42d
    Options
    I am only 5' 2". I was at 108 for most of the last year. I would be happy with 105.

I am limiting carbs for several reasons. My son was diagnosed with severe food allergies a few years ago. He can't have gluten, eggs, corn, eggplant. So the household is generally gluten free because it is hard for him to have it in the house. Now, when I do eat wheat, I have a hard time digesting it. I must have lost some ability to deal with it since the household diet has changed. Lastly, I am trying to eat more protein, veggies, fruits and fiber but my appetite is generally really poor. So I have to cut out some things to make room to eat other things.

I just found a recipe for baked hard-boiled eggs, so will try to increase eggs, protein powder and fish.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I am only 5' 2". I was at 108 for most of the last year. I would be happy with 105.

You do realize you're talking about 3lbs, right? Most people fluctuation that much daily... how are you going to evaluate progress in such small increments?

Additionally, will 3lbs really make any difference? Is that even noticeable?
  • grace42d
    Options
    115 to 105 is 10 pounds. Or about 10% of my body weight. It will make a difference to me. Especially if I can eat healthier and drop a few pounds.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I thought you were at 108 tryign to get to 105.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. I have tried to incorporate meat into my diet, but it just doesn't make me feel well. I will eat fish and eggs. My food diary is open now. Constructive comments would be great.
    I'm a vegetarian, too. I eat tons of egg whites because they're all protein and I add protein powder to my oatmeal. There are tons of way to reduce carbs/increase protein on a vegetarian diet. I did vegan keto in the past (carbs >50g net). It was hard, but it's possible.
    I know a few diabetics who are vegetarian and vegan. The vegetarians (who are both ovo/lacto-vegetarians) find it much easier (obviously) to eat a very-low carb diet. Both groups of people have done ketogenic diets to treat diabetes - one of the vegans I know of switched from vegan to vegetarian to maintain ketosis while getting enough food...

So as JSRG said - not easy, but can be done.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Eat fat. Seriously. And less fruit.
  • lhourin
    Options

Same here. Maybe slightly more carb/less protein, but very similar. Very satisfying, and I weigh/look the same as I did 10 years ago as a fitness model...after two kids and a previous 10 lb weight gain. Plus my bloodwork is much better than before I ate so much fat. Don't be afraid of it.
  • albertabeefy
    Options

Same here. Maybe slightly more carb/less protein, but very similar. Very satisfying, and I weigh/look the same as I did 10 years ago as a fitness model...after two kids and a previous 10 lb weight gain. Plus my bloodwork is much better than before I ate so much fat. Don't be afraid of it.
    I eat two different ratios depending on if I'm mass-building or dieting/maintaining:

Mass Building Phase: under 8% carbohydrate, ~30% protein and the rest (62-66% usually) fat.
    Dieting / Mainenance : about 5% carbohydrate, 25% protein and 70% fat.

We're all different, but that works great for me. Both for weight-loss and in controlling my diabetes.
  • tracyschreier
    tracyschreier Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This sounds interesting, but what foods do you eat where you can reach a 70% ratio of fat? I can't even imagine doing that without also increasing calories, increasing carbs, hell, increasing everything!
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    This sounds interesting, but what foods do you eat where you can reach a 70% ratio of fat? I can't even imagine doing that without also increasing calories, increasing carbs, hell, increasing everything!
    My typical breakfast is whole eggs (free-range chickens) fried or scrambled in bacon grease, 2 strips of naturally-cured bacon and a large chorizo sausage link (both from a good butcher who uses free-range product). This is usually about 600 calories, 1g of carbohydrate with about 50g of fat and 30g of protein. I often eat this with 1/2 a granny smith apple if it's pre-workout just for a tiny bit of glucose to help fuel my anaerobic activity.

Some mornings I don't feel like bacon/sausage/eggs and I'll have some low-carb pancakes covered in butter and walden farms 0 carb syrup, along with whatever I want that helps fit my macros.

I have two protein shakes a day - but they're not just protein. I also add 1/2c of heavy cream and a small handful of mixed berries. This typically comes to 560 calories, 7 net grams of carb, 44g of fat and 38g of protein.

Then I usually have something like some grass-fed steak (a fatty cut) grilled with added butter, chicken with the skin on (often covered in a low-carb bbq sauce, cheese and crumbled bacon), a fatty fish cooked with oil, etc. along with about 6 cups of leafy greens (I like the Costco spring mix and baby spinach mixed 50/50) and the highest-fat dressing I can make. (I don't like most commercial dressings, too many are made with highly-refined oils.). For meals where I don't have the leafy greens I'll have steamed broccoli and/or cauliflower covered in butter and a rich/creamy cheese sauce.

That's a typical 2,200 calorie day for me that keeps a very high fat ratio.

On higher calorie days I simply add another shake or meal... things like low-carb/high-fat chicken salad lettuce wraps, etc. Or maybe snacks which might be lots of cheese with a small serving of lower-GI fruit, maybe a 1/2 an apple with a big side of home-made peanut butter, celery sticks with peanut-butter, etc.

Basically there's lots of things like heavy cream, butter/ghee, home-made mayo, home-made nut-butters, cold-pressed nut and olive oils, full-fat cheeses (there's usually about 6 different kinds of cheese in my fridge at once), meats, fish, coconut and red palm oil, etc., etc.
  • lhourin
    Options
    ]My typical breakfast is whole eggs (free-range chickens) fried or scrambled in bacon grease, 2 strips of naturally-cured bacon and a large chorizo sausage link (both from a good butcher who uses free-range product). This is usually about 600 calories, 1g of carbohydrate with about 50g of fat and 30g of protein. I often eat this with 1/2 a granny smith apple if it's pre-workout just for a tiny bit of glucose to help fuel my anaerobic activity.
    Then I usually have something like some grass-fed steak (a fatty cut) grilled with added butter, chicken with the skin on (often covered in a low-carb bbq sauce, cheese and crumbled bacon), a fatty fish cooked with oil, etc. along with about 6 cups of leafy greens (I like the Costco spring mix and baby spinach mixed 50/50) and the highest-fat dressing I can make. (I don't like most commercial dressings, too many are made with highly-refined oils.).

Basically there's lots of things like heavy cream, butter/ghee, home-made mayo, home-made nut-butters, cold-pressed nut and olive oils, full-fat cheeses (there's usually about 6 different kinds of cheese in my fridge at once), meats, fish, coconut and red palm oil, etc., etc.

I eat similarly, too. Well, except maybe just an egg or two in the morning, with my coffee with heavy cream. :)
    And ditto to making your own mayo and salad dressing (both are so easy!). Almost all the ones you can buy have crap oils (like canola) in them. Avoid low/non-fat products (which only have some sort of sugar added to them to make up for the loss of fat anyway), use heavy cream for coffee (or over berries--delish!), snack on cheese, nuts, or veggies. It's not that hard. And the thing about calories is that the fats are more satisfying, so it's not that diifficult to stick within a calorie limit, if that's your goal.
  • grace42d
    Options
    Wow, very helpful. Thanks. This is going to take a major mind-shift for me, but I will give it a shot by increasing my nut butters, dairy, and coconut oil.