Silk almond milk unsweetened vs regular

Options

Replies

• IHTSM
    IHTSM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    yes the Blue Diamond almond milk is amazing - and only 40 calories :)
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I don't care for the Silk almond milk- I want to say that they use soy in their milk- though I may be a liar. I really like unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk. It's like heaven in my mouth.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I really prefer unsweeetened. I prefer it because it reduces my sugar cravings.
    Also, you should try unsweetened soy milk. Tried it for the first time yesterday.
    B-b-blowwwwwn away by the taste. It's a bit creamy too. 45 calories/cup (a serving).
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 0%, skim milk.. I've tried unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk.. let's just stay I'm sticking with my skim milk lol.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I love Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla, I cook with it, use it on cereal, add it to coffee and to make my protein shakes, and drink it by itself. It's super yummy and only 30 cals per serving. :)
  • finallydetermined
    finallydetermined Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A former skim milk LOVER who tried almond milk "for a few weeks" based on a diet my trainer gave me to kick-start my weight loss. I am now hooked. I always buy the unsweetened almond milk. Typically buy Blue Diamond brand but bought Silk this morning becasue it was on sale. Definitely prefer Blue Diamond
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I get the plain unsweetened, either Silk or Blue Diamond, whichever is on a better sale. I actually have a carton of Kroger's Simple Truth brand in the fridge that I haven't opened yet, too - so I'll have to report the verdict on that when I try it :)

I like getting the plain unsweetened because I can use it in sweet or savory dishes as a milk substitute, and if I need more sweetness, I can always add something (I use stevia from time to time).
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My fiance loves Blue Diamond Almond Vanilla Sweetened. I find it too sweet, but the unsweetened does not taste good to me. Either choice is going to be better for you than cow milk. Good luck!
  • MrsNwokolo
    Options
    The unsweetened is gross. It taste just like water. I use it in like smoothies but not on my cereal, cow's milk only!! :happy:
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I abso love almond milk, whether its in a bowl of cereal or a glass with a meal. I do keep cows milk for recipes that call for milk. I'm too scared that the sweet taste of the milk with ruin the taste of the food.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond/coconut blend is where it's at!!! GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTT in protein shakes :)
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i make my own almond milk with regular unsalted almonds and water. i can buy a bag for like 10 dollars at costco and make probably 20 gallons with it (using a grinder or powerful juicer with blades rather than the kind you push fruit down into).

just a suggestion. then if you really want you can sweeten it yourself and you have complete control over the results.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The first time I bought almond milk, I got the Silk unsweetened original. It was good. When I wanted it a little sweeter, I added 1/2 packet (or less) of artificial sweetener to it (I know, I know... bad... but it dissolves better in cold things than sugar). I don't eat cereal, so I don't have any experience with it and almond milk.

The next time I bought it, I got the unsweetened vanilla from Aldi (store brand), and the vanilla is a little strong. My husband just started making protein shakes and the bag of protein powder we bought is vanilla. He said it was too sweet and too thick mixed with the almond milk (using the unsweetened vanilla milk). I have used both the plain and the vanilla in mashed potatoes, and couldn't tell the difference from dairy milk, but that may be because I put sour cream in my mash and the tanginess hides the vanilla flavor.

EDIT: Adding that a friend of mine who is also losing weight right now has noticed that she has a definite preference for one brand over another. She said that the store brands where she is taste better to her than the Silk or Blue Diamond. So try more than one until you find one that suits your palate.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I drink all the milks! (except soy)

If you're coming from cow milk, I recommend starting out with the sweetened almond milk and then stepping down to the unsweetened almond milk when you're ready for it. I also prefer the almond/coconut blend. Almond Breeze almond/coconut unsweetened is my go to drink.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options

Almond milk sure is great in calcium and nothing beats 30 calories for 8 oz.

Read labels very careful. There are HUGE differences in calcium levels between the brands (and between shelf stable and refrigerated versions). Some brands have basically no calcium in them.
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I do unsweetened to keep my calories low but I always have vanilla flavored and I LOVE it!
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    unsweetened vanilla almond milk > all other milks (taste-wise/nutrient-wise/health-wise/et cetera)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I love the almond drinks as a drink on there own but that's the only way.
    I have soya milk unsweetened in tea/coffee and cerial but if you use the sweetened if you make a milky drink(latte ect) it froths up and is super creamy like a real treat! :drinker:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I moved from whole milk to Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I could drink it straight from the carton, I love it so much. It's not the same as dairy, and I'm not going to tell you it tastes better, it just tastes different. Get a small thing of it to try first. If you like it, great, if you don't, you're not out a lot of money.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own almond milk. It is a lot healthier than what is sold in the stores. First there are no chemicals and sugar added, just almond and water. It is a lot cheaper and you know exactly what is in the milk. Google making almond mild, it is real easy. I refuse to pay for something that I can do better myself.