HELP - BREAKFAST SUCKS

Options

Replies

• IHTSM
    IHTSM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    2 slices of Stonemill fruit and fiber bread with almond butter and banana cut up on it - Mon-Fri for me, seriously delicious and nutritious
  • scarley13
    Options
    I always have a low calorie shake for breakfast, then i do all my chores so its quick and easy, puts me on till lunch. I also think they are yummy lol.
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I eat plant based and found a breakfast I love and have every day now - it's the Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread - I toast 2 pieces every morning and then put on a little peanut butter (organic, no oil, nothing added but crushed nuts) - it is yummy!

Some mornings if I want a little more kick I put just a tad of the Bonne Maman strawberry jelly as well - with the toasted warm cinnamon raisin bread (house smells amazing as it is toasting), it is so good I salivate every morning looking forward to having it - I also throw in on the side some cantaloupe pieces or pineapple - a fresh fruit - and maybe decaf coffee and 1/2 cup of an unsweetened almond milk, vanilla flavor..............all plant based, good for you and tastes great!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have an egg white omelette with mozzerella cheese, spinach, tomatoes and some kind of meat almost daily. Last week we bought a roll of sausage and cooked it up and stored it for our omelettes for the week.

I don't usually like bagels because of the calories but I have been buying whole wheat or 'everything' bagels and toast em and spread a bit of butter on.YUM!
  • danmoxon1
    Options
    buy a big bag of oatmeal (its ridiculously cheap)

then some dried fruit

then some honey or jams

and keep some fresh fruit and yoghurt in

you can turn these things into
    porridge
    granola
    museli
    yoghurt with nice stuff in

all sorts of great combos and all really healthy - but this is all base don making it yourself, if you buy the processed equivalents it will be much less healthy
  • ShannonS2714
    ShannonS2714 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    -- Cereal w/ banana and skim milk (none of the cereals I eat regularly are high in sodium)
    -- 0% Greek Yogurt
    -- Fruit and English muffin
    -- Oatmeal w/ fruit
    -- Cream of Wheat w/ brown sugar
    -- Egg white omelet
    -- Protein shake

I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of more right now.
  • psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    My husband really likes yogurt with berries and a little granola. I looooooove cereal (so bad for me!) but lately I've been eating more eggs and fruit - sad to hear you can't do eggs :(
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My favorite: Vanilla Yogurt topped with fresh berries (normally strawberries and blueberries) and natural granola! YUM....
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    This is my breakfast parfait that I eat 3-4 days per week.

2/3 cup 1% plain yogurt
    1/3 cup 0% vanilla greek yogurt
    1 tbsp chia seeds - for some fibre (optional)
    1 tbsp flax seeds - for fibre and cholesterol lowering benefits (optional)
    2 tbsp chopped nuts such as pecans, walnut (optional) - this adds calories, but also good fats...plus it gives you something to chew
    1/2 cup fruit (berries, or whatever is in the fridge).

Chia seeds are better if you let them sit in the yogurt for a least 30 minutes. Sometimes I make them the night before and stick them in the fridge to grab and go in the morning.

Depending on the optional additions it can be as low as 200 calories or up to 350ish. That keeps me full for 5 hours.
  • Aviflora
    Aviflora Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Be like the Europeans and have deli slices on toast with fruit! Muesli too, maybe. And tea, of course.

Can't forget the tea.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    BREAKFAST DOES NOT SUCK. IT'S CONSIDERED BY SOME TO BE THE BESTEST EVERRRRRRRRRR MEAL OF THE DAY.

(i'm partial to a good, delicious brunch type breakfast. om nom nom).

but suggestions for a gal on the go?

- whole grain cereal with berries
    - oatmeal
    - protein shake
    - banana and protein bar
    - egg mugs
    - yogurt with granola or nuts or berries

breakfast rocks!
  • rayraex
    rayraex Posts: 50
    Options
    I read that the best breakfast for you to eat is fruit because it is the only food that is digested separately from food that may be left over in your stomach from the night before, which makes it easier for your body to burn.
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options
    line muffin tins with turkey bacon, crack a while egg, top with cheese/diced toms/chiffonade spinach and back at 375 for 20. portable and delish.

make protein bars over the weekend and eat one with a piece of fruit.

apple sliced with PB or PB2

smoothie of course (fruit/greens/skim milk)

cottage cheese with berries and hemp seeds

low fat greek yogurt, low sugar granola and berries in a parfait

those are my go-to bfasts!
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My kids like oatmeal, but I don't, so sometimes they get that while I do something else.

I mentioned on another forum on another site that I really wanted to like oatmeal, but I just didn't like it and I hated the texture. Someone suggested that I try Bircher Muesli. You put the ingredients together at night, pop it in the refrigerator, and eat it cold the next morning. The texture is so much different and I've learned to like it a lot.

I started with 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup milk, Splenda, walnuts, fruit, and then put it in the fridge overnight..

Now I use 1/2 cup quick rolled oats (you can use old fashioned rolled oats, too, but I prefer quick), about 3/4 cup milk, a drizzle of honey, and walnuts, and put in the fridge overnight. I usually have a banana with it, but I've also tried apple, peach, pineapple, and mixed berries. All are good, but banana is my favorite. When choosing bananas as the fruit, add it in the morning. They don't do well spending the night in the oatmeal.

Since all I have to do is take it out of the fridge and grab a banana, it's perfect for a busy morning. I don't need a mid-morning snack when I have this for breakfast, either.

hmm, thanks! I look into that! I cannot do the bananas though....I don't what it is about them, but they always give me a tummy-ache. But I love blueberries!
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I eat the same things every day... 1 cup of bran flakes mixed with one container of Dannon light & fit yogurt and a cup of berries. Only about 250 calls.

For lunch I eat a lot of breakfast foods...my favs are 2 egg white omelet with spinach, a tiny bit of cheddar or mozzarella cheese...sometimes i chop up a link of turkey sausage to add in, with one slice of 100% whole wheat bread and some fruit.
    I also eat oats with blueberries. Not instant oat packets, but the regular quaker ones. Other times I cook one egg white (I have one of those teeny egg skillets) which makes it a perfect size to fit on a whole grain Thomas english muffin, maybe a sprinkle of cheese on it. Again with fruit or a veg...

I watch my sodium as well. SO, I try to avoid a lot of meats like ham...that turkey sausage I use is a rare occasion anymore..
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Who says breakfast has to be breakfast food? Whatever you can make work into your eating plan is fine. About eggs...you can eliminate the yolks which are most of tge colesterol. If you like salsa you can add that to the egg whites for flavor. How about a fruit smoothie? Real fruit and unfkavored yogurt. Oatmeal is always a good breakfast food. But like I said it doesn't have to be breakfast food to eat it for breakfast. Good luck
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    5 egg whites, unlimited vegetables, 1 serving of starch..

Starch ideas: 1 serving of brown bread (ezekiel is good), 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 4-6 oz sweet potato ( good idea for home made hashbrowns!!!), 1/4 cup cooked quinoa, the list goes on.

As long as you have your protein, vegetables and starch, you can eat anything. Google clean eating for breakfast foods. heres some ideas: http://www.oxygenmag.com/nutrition/articles.aspx?keyword=Breakfast
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I have 6 oz of low-fat Greek yogurt, a quarter cup of unsalted cashews, some fresh berries and a drizzle of raw honey.

Delicious and the numbers are great:

317 calories
    27g of carbs bc my brain needs energy, yo!
    14g of good healthy fats
    23g of keep me fuller longer protein
    2g of fiber... to keep things moving.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You could look into a meal replacement like a shake.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I read that the best breakfast for you to eat is fruit because it is the only food that is digested separately from food that may be left over in your stomach from the night before, which makes it easier for your body to burn.

You shouldn't believe everything you read...