Sugars in fruit?!?!

Options

Replies

• Pgonzalez312
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is not harmful. You benefit from a lot of other wonderful properties like antioxidants, fiber, vitamins and minerals. You won't get these compound bonuses from eating a danish or a piece of candy. Focus on consuming your daily recommended servings of fruits which are 2 cups per day. You can always substitute for lower sugar fruits like green apples and berries.
  • Jon_Bixler
    Jon_Bixler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic natural sugars, such that are found in fruit, vegetables, etc., are more than acceptable to consume. These are not processed sugars or complex carbs that can cause problems with your body. I typically go over my sugar based upon MFP as well. IF you are overly concerned about it, ask a nutritionist or your doctor.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have a medical condition that requires you to limit your sugar intake, you are fine. If anything, watch your unnatural sugar intake, not natural. Sugars from fruit are fine. I go over my sugar limit daily and it hasn't stopped me from becoming a healthier, smaller me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the sugars in fruit. Worry about refined or processed sugars. As long as you have your fruit with some protein (cottage cheese, protein shake, meat, etc.) the protein will slow down the release of the sugars so that they do not cause a large spike in your insulin levels.

Not sure if srs, protein + sugar results in a larger insulin spike than either of them eaten separately
  • Acg67
    Options
    I ignore all sugar from natural fruit. By this I mean I won't count an apple but I will count apple juice. It's one of the things that most people wish MFP could do but can't, distinguish between natural and added sugar.

And metabolically speaking what would be the difference from let's say natural and refined sucrose?

I have no idea scientifically speaking but I couldn't follow a plan that wouldn't let me pick apples from a tree and eat them.

Guess what? Your body can't distinguish between the sugars just like mfp can't
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    If you are watching your sugar intake for medical purposes-- like if you are trying to control diabetes or something-- then all sugar counts, whether it's from a healthful source or not. If that's the case, try having more vegetables to keep consuming nutrients while cutting sugar intake. Otherwise, it's not too big a deal. The American Heart Association recommends limiting only added sugars to 6 teaspoons for a woman and 9 for a man if I remember correctly.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I ignore all sugar from natural fruit. By this I mean I won't count an apple but I will count apple juice. It's one of the things that most people wish MFP could do but can't, distinguish between natural and added sugar.

And metabolically speaking what would be the difference from let's say natural and refined sucrose?

I have no idea scientifically speaking but I couldn't follow a plan that wouldn't let me pick apples from a tree and eat them.

Do you have evidence to substantiate this claim?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yes do! Thats why chimpanzees are so obese! I almost became 400lbs because I would eat nothing but bananas and strawberries I was jogging like 20miles everyday and doing 16 hours of lifting. It is the road to obesity beware the innocent blueberries.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    no one has ever gotten fat from fruit.
    period.
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    The sugars that want to stay away from is refined/processed sugars. don't add additional sugars to your diet
  • Acg67
    Options

Do you have evidence to substantiate this claim?

Sure, tell me below if it is refined or natural sucrose

1294895917UA3r2E.jpg
  • lhalket
    lhalket Posts: 75 Member
    Options

I guess using the word "count" is not right. I log everything but I just ignore the sugar column if it came from a natural source.

I do the same thing - sugar from fruits is digested more quickly and turned to energy vs processed sugars from sodas, candy, etc.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating too much fruit.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Weight loss? Fat loss? I think you should probably take everything off your diary except protein, carbs, and fats until you learn how to eat properly. The question of whether you should stop eating fruit because of the sugar makes it pretty obvious that you need to take a higher level look at this whole nutrition thing.
  • puhterradactal
    Options
    While sugar is sugar, the vitamins, minerals and fiber in fruit make it way better than refined sugars. The fiber and water content of fresh fruit will make you feel more full than say a candy bar of equal calorie. Only in extreme conditions would eating too much fresh fruit actually be bad. This doesnt apply to dried fruits or fruit juices though as they tend to have added sugar and are more calorie dense.
  • Heypapajinx
    Heypapajinx Posts: 12 Member
    Options

For a second suppose your succinct answers can be confusing to people who attempt to do their own research and find things like this:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/546655-does-the-body-process-fruit-sugars-the-same-way-that-it-does-refined-sugar/

...telling them that their body will have a more difficult time breaking down and metabolizing refined sugars. Perhaps being helpful could be more, oh, I don't know, informative and less like sarcasm.
  • jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat nothing but fruits and vegetables for breakfast and lunch.

You need to incorporate some protein with your fruits and Veggies. You may be new to losing weight so I suggest googling (or reading the forums here) why and how much protein your body needs ;) I am not being rude I just don't know how long you have been on this journey and maybe you don't know :)

I am amazed by how much protein I consume just through veggies (2 Roma tomatoes have 7 grams! 1/2 of an avocado 10 grams. Who knew?) and a few seeds and nuts in very small portions. With no animal products at breakfast or lunch, I still easily get my protein in every day. I'm exceeding sugar when I eat fruits, since I eat so many veggies and most of those have some sugar, but I'm going to eat nutritious foods in moderation and not worry about it.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Anyone looking for a scientific study can google metabolic reaction to fructose, glucose and get many, many studies saying that basically your body treats them the same. There are a few that suggest maybe, for some diabetics, the insulin spike is lower with fructose than added sugar. Notice that there is still a spike :) I wasn't sure so I just checked.

But, like many people above, I love to eat fruit and will continue to do so for taste, fiber, vitamins, etc. When I was chubby it wasn't because I had berries in my high-fiber cereal for breakfast and then a banana before going to the gym, it was because I had McDonald's for breakfast, followed by Sonic for lunch, followed by sitting on the couch.

I'm going to continue to eat my fruit and not monitor my sugar intake (as I have no medical reason to do so).

:flowerforyou:
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you have 2 pieces of fruit or so and go over, don't worry about it. If you are eating 8 bananas a day, ok, you'd need to cut back.

If you are closer to the 2 or 3 pieces a day, then just focus on keeping sugar from non-fruit sources as low a syou possibly can. It's been very effective for me.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mmmmm..... fruit!

fruitsalad3.jpg