A queston for ladies who use the barbell

Options

Replies

• JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I always wear gloves. Those metal barbells/dumbells are MURDER on the hands. I think he was flirting.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Wear your gloves and own them :smokin:

Try to forget about what others might be thinking about you :flowerforyou:

Most everyone is self conscious :embarassed:
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    I wear gloves when I lift so I can lift longer without my hands hurting. The guys at the gym snicker if they have never seen me lift before, but usually that only lasts about 30 mins when they see that I AM STILL LIFTING! I use kettlebells, barbells, and the smith machine for my arm and leg workouts. AND I LOVE TO DEADLIFT! I am up to 50lbs and very excited.

I wouldn't worry about what ppl think at the gym, ESPECIALLY WHAT MEN THINK. Unfortunately, men are not that smart. They wish their own significant others lifted and had the drive you did. Kudos to you!
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves and I don't care what anyone thinks of it. I don't care what anyone thinks about anything I'm doing in the gym. I'm there for me.
  • jcartwright2008
    jcartwright2008 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves, my hands get sweaty and I can't grip without them. No comments so far. :glasses:
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves, I hate the smell of the metal on my hands, and it hurts without gloves.

I have never had comments, and if I did, I wouldn't care.

Wear your gloves and rock them!!!!
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Why would you feel embarassed? I take that he thinks you are smart for wearing gloves , I wear gloves all the time kills my hands if I don't plus I hate the smell
  • Firewhirrrl
    Firewhirrrl Posts: 144
    Options
    Never you mind the retarded, insecure male. He was unable to say, "hi, my name is ..... And feel free to ask questions", so instead he epically failed at meeting you.

Never worry about little boys. And I've got the calluses. I forgot all about golves... Thanks for the reminder. Wonder if they come in pink.
  • blackwidowdancer82
    blackwidowdancer82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. :smile:
    That guy was probably trying to find a way to talk to you. It does sound like he was trying brag and get attention from you. I'd try to take it as a compliment even though what he said may have come off as condescending. Guys sometimes say really stupid things I've noticed. I started lifting when I was 16 for conditioning reasons. I'm a dancer and wanted to be in the best possible shape when I entered my college dance program. Guys in the gym typically though will be friendly and impressed I think by women who lift. That's been my experience. I was benchpressing one time and put way too much weight on and two big guys had to help lift it off of me. That was embarassing! I didn't ever want to go back to the gym after that happened! But I did. :smile:

I haven't been lifting for several months, but when I started lifting I used gloves. After a couple of years of lifting I made the decision not to use gloves any more because I felt I had a better grip and connection with the barbell without gloves. I lifted medium to heavy 3 times a week and did get some calluses. But I was proud of them! Proof of building a stronger and healthier body.

Keep up the great work!

Kelly
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Ignore the uneducated comments. Anyone paying that much attention to what someone else is doing needs to look at the quality of his own workouts. He sounds like a cardio bunny to me. lol...

I have always used gloves for lifting & have never received a negative comment. While you might not technically need the support of gloves when you first start lifting, you will as you increase your weights - and that can happen quickly.
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just recommend doing what works for you, who cares what you look like, it's your workout, and you are the one who will look more awesome for it!! Do what you need to do!

I lift and don't wear gloves. I do have callouses, which I was very self-conscious about, but now I just don't care because they help!

I may need to invest in gloves now that I'm doing heavier lifts, as I'm having trouble with my grip....
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I've worn gloves as long as I've been lifting. No one has ever said anything criticial to me at the gym about anything, but then again I'm the type that could really give a crap what 99.9% of people say or think....

This!
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way at first!! Now I don't care, my hands feel better and I have a better grip. I do still get callouses though just not as bad. BTW my gloves are pink and black and used to match my sneakers (just got a new pair) doesnt get much girlier than that! :) I'm sure he didnt mean it to be douchey but def came accross that way.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    talking to a friend of mine here (and i use the term loosely... he knows who he is) he convinced me to leave the gloves at home. then i told him how my palms were hurting, and even showed him a picture of my calloused hands.

he told me i was doing it wrong. you shouldn't be having some super death grip on the barbell. thats what causes the skin to get scraped off. for dead lifts, just curl your fingers around the barbell, and start developing some grip strength.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I use chalk. I have tiny hands, and gloves just screw with my grip. I think there is value in the tactile feedback you get when holding a heavy bar in your bare hands. You don't get the same response with gloves.
  • LeslieC1970
    LeslieC1970 Posts: 160
    Options
    I think you might be looking too much into what was said. He could have actually been trying to be complementary. "When you start proper lifting" could have been about the act of lifting, not you actually lifting proper. If he was saying it with a bit of attitude to be a jerk, then just dismiss his comments. He isn't worth the time spent worrying about it.

I do wear gloves and have for a while. I needed them at some lighter weights as well. I am more concerned about completing my reps than having to abandon a set because my hands hurt. What others think is their issue. Don't let it affect your program.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I HAVE gloves. Occasionally i'll use them for my iso lifts. BUT. They inhibit my grip strength when I am dead lifting. I do NOT use them for dead lifts, bc i'd rather be able to do more reps and have callouses.

Then again, i had callouses before lifting so...not a big deal.
  • cljabusc
    cljabusc Posts: 48
    Options
    He doesn't sound like a jerk, or uneducated, or 'retarded' (which is a completely ignorant word, and should not be used to describe anyone...i'm just quoting someone else), he just obviously wanted to chat with someone/you about lifting and blurted out the words 'lifting properly' not knowing you would take offence to it. If you think he was trying to intentionally offend you...i think your mistaken.

he may have chosen the word "properly" because he saw weights you were lifting, although they may have been heavy for you, might not have seemed heavy to him.... But i agree that 'lifting properly' is not the right choice of words. maybe he should have said 'lifting heavier.'

Dont read into it, don't let it offend you, put on those gloves and keep doing what you're doing. see? like water off a ducks back.

Edited to add: I don't wear gloves, because caluses make me feel bad aaaa..
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I already had calluses from riding my Harley.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I started doing deadlifts a few weeks ago and after a few times going II started getting callouses on my hands so bought some gloves.

I am quite a self-conscious person and I end up feeling all embarrassed when little old me goes to the barbell and put on my gloves like some hardcore heavy weight-lifter. I heard one guy laugh and as I looked up he he said "Hands getting f**ked?" and I just smiled, he came over and showed me his gloves and laughed and said "When you start proper lifting you will be pleased you got them, look at the state of my gloves, that would have been my hands!"

After that comment it has made me feel so much more embarrassed, I know I am probably reading too much in to it, but it was the "when you start PROPER lifting" like he must have though "silly female try to lift" LOL.

SO, ladies, do you wear gloves, were you self-conscious about it, or did you just forget about everyone else? How do you manage being down with all the men?

awww he was being inclusive and nice to you.. I bet he would have said that to any beginner.. probably trying to be suportive ;)

I dont wear gloves but seriously thinking of doing that.. but have callouses instead :P