Please give me some tips on motivating my man...

Options
13»

Replies

• sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My husband loves gadgets and is competitive so I got him a Nike Fuel band for Christmas. He loves it! He's like a little kid when he beats his old numbers or when he's ranked higher than his friends. He even vacuums the living room at night so he can gewt more points. It's absolutely win/win.
  • fpuckett2383
    fpuckett2383 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow guys! I did NOT expect so many replies! Thanks everyone for taking time out to help me out and give me some advice.
    A few points
    1) He does want to lose weight. He gets in these huge fits and decided "This is it! I'm going to do it!" Yet, when the time comes he blows it off. I already work out three days a week with a trainer, so when he's not motivated, I'm not motivated either. It's a vicious cycle. He has a horrible procrastination problem
    2) We do have very open and honest questions about my worries about his (and my) health. He's worried too!
    3) He is a forklift driver, which means a lot of sitting down and not moving. He commutes to work. Works incredibly long hours. It really does just wear him out. He refuses to work on the weekends- I can't seem to get him to budge.
    4) As for the "favors" (and I'm sure you guys were kidding ;)) But I give him w hatever he wants, not much of an insentive, lol. I can not withhold either, it's just me.
    5) I don't want him to resent me. He knows he has a problem, I just don't think he knows how big it is. I don't want to bully or trick him, I just want him to have that a-ha moment and change for the better. I DO love and accept him, I will not accept being a young widow or having kids with a guy who can't chase my kids around the yard. I deserve better and so does he.

Thanks again guys! You gave me a lot of great information and I will put this into action. Feel free to send FR, as well :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can do is be a role model. Since I've started on this JOURNEY :love: (everyone hates that term, cept' me) my boyfriend has lost about 65lbs, eats vegetables now, walks with me at work, and is always asking about calories.

This is going from a man who only drank dr. pepper, would never touch a vegetable not even lettuce, and put cheese on everything.

Keep doing the hard work making the effort, unless he's some kind of stubborn A-hole, he will turn around.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I know someone who motivated her husband by telling him she would give him a BJ for every 10 pounds he lost. I used to see that man in the gym all the time!! He lost like 70 pounds with that incentive.

That being said not everyone can be motivated. And if it does motivate him there is nothing to say he will stay going forward. He has to want to do it for himself and no other reason otherwise it probably won't work.

Your friend is being stingy. A BJ for every pound, I say! :wink: