People tell me don't lose anymore......

Options

Replies

• hollywoodguy99
    hollywoodguy99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I posted this before when somebody else brought up this subject.

People said the exact thing to me in my twenties when I got fit, and they are saying it to me now as well.

They are used to us looking a certain way. People do not like change. Actually getting to a weight that is healthy and ideal makes them have to evaluate there own body and fitness levels. If you were once thin/fit, you'll notice the people who knew you when you were thin are excited to see you becoming that way again.

It is the same as when you move from your hometown, many that you left behind are resentful and ask you how you could leave? Makes them question why they are staying.

And some good quotes to sum this up

“You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!”
    ― John Lennon

“We judge others instantly by their clothes, their cars, their appearance, their race, their education, their social status. The list is endless. What gets me is that most people decide who another person is before they have even spoken to them. What's even worse is that these same people decide who someone else is, and don't even know who they are themselves.”
    ― Ashly Lorenzana

None love the messenger who brings bad news.

Sophocles

“It is far safer to know too little than too much. People will condemn the one, though they will resent being called upon to exert themselves to follow the other.”

Samuel Butler quotes (English novelist, essayist and critic, 1835-1902)
  • ASecretBobby
    ASecretBobby Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think you look great, like me though not a great deal of muscle definition, I started jillian 30 day shred and have nicer shaped arms and stomach, I liked the progression so moved onto insanity, again loving the results and really feeling strong and healthy, eating LOTS you look a good weight and shape, so change in exercise may help u, I always ran but did no strength
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have hit 10 stone 10 pounds and those around me have said the same. I do not want to lose so much on my face that I look gaunt, tired and old. I have decided to maintain now. I am going to focus on abs and core work to tighten up.
  • missodu
    missodu Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing! (and what an awesome booty you have!)

But don't base it off of what others say OR off of what other people your same height weigh. Base it off what makes you feel great about yourself and where you find contenment with yourself.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    People closest to us are used to the "old" large body, and it takes a while to adjust to seeing the "new" smaller one as normal for us. The dramatic change for you has already taken place over the last 7 months, so I would be willing to bet the comments should die down as you continue to lose whatever more you want (the closer you get to goal, the slower it comes off, anyway) and tone up. Your face probably won't change much more, and that's where people see the weight loss first. I don't think most can tell what your waist or hip measurement is, what size pants you're wearing, or what the scale says unless you tell them. You can just let them know that you plan to continue eating right and exercising because it keeps you healthy and feeling good.
  • JewelSmith
    JewelSmith Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your hard work! Your pictures reflect your dedication to eating right and getting into good shape!

It does take a while for people to see the new you. Many people are simply used to seeing you at a heavier weight. Plus, I think we have a bit of a distorted view of what is a normal weight these days too.

At 5'3", I think you would be fine to lose a little more. Do what's right for you. I'm also 5'3" and weigh 126-128, a weight I feel very comfortable with. I don't plan on losing any more-just adding more muscle!

Great job on your weight loss-you should be proud!:smile:
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3" and started out at 218. When I got down to the 160's is when people started telling me not to lose more...I want to get to at least 130 and probably less, because that's where I know I look my best, or did, "back in the day". :) I'm at about 140 now and people are telling me how great I look, so apparently losing more wasn't a mistake, lol. I think it's just because people are used to seeing you bigger, and as you get smaller they will adjust too... I just tell people now when they ask if I'm done losing that I'm just working on body fat % and toning. They don't have a problem with that. BUT if I say I want to lose 10 more lbs they freak out. lol People are weird. Do what make you happiest and healthiest. :D

Congrats on all your hard work so far! You're doing awesome!
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was actually just talking about this with one of my friends today. A lot of people, especially at work, and my family are telling me that I "look too small" and that if I lose the 20 more pounds that I am aiming for I am going to look sick. Right now I am at about 150 and want to get down to 130, I am only 5'1.

My friend told me that it is probably because people are:

1. Jealous of me- because they have tried to lose weight in the past and it hasn't worked for them so they can't believe it is working for me. - actually a few people have told me this.

2. It makes people "uncomfortable" because they want to keep you as you were before, because that is how they know you and remember you.

Listen to and trust your body... you'll know when your done!
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss and you look great! I wouldn't worry too much about what the scale says but if you want to lower your body fat and get stronger and fitter, I think you will feel and look even better . Hit the weight room, eat healthy and have fun!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", and my current weight is right around 135. My original goal was 150, then 145, then 140, because at each goal I still didn't have the body I wanted. Once I got below 140, I realized I wanted to lose the fat & keep the muscle, & didn't really care what the scale said as much as how I looked. In my goal to lose the fat, I dropped to 133 at my lowest, but have hovered around 135 for the past month or so.

People tell me I don't need to lose any more, than I'm about to "blow away" (puh-leeze!), or ask if I'm still trying to lose weight. My answer - no I'm not trying to lose any more, I'm just working on getting rid of a little more fat. Seems to shut them up most of the time. That and the fact that I eat around 2000 calories a day, more than the person who made the "blow away" comment. :bigsmile:

Keep working on the body you want - looks like you've been doing it right, and congrats on your success so far! You look great!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I think you look great and should not let anyone else dictate when you stop losing weight. That decision is for you and you alone and your family & friends should respect that.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    DiaryOfaThickFitWoman Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think you should consider some of the others opinions, but ultimately decide for yourself. 219 to 162 is a great accomplishment. If your going for a smaller size, go for it. I would consider what my husband says as well, but that's just me. To me you look great and could start maintaining and going hard with working on abs, etc. But that just my opinion. everyone does not want to be thin, some people just want to be smaller, figure out what you want. At 162 im sure you won't have health issues, especially if your active.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    DiaryOfaThickFitWoman Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    So I am in my journey just about 7 months and boy has been a very hard and emotional journey. I never thought when I lose weight that I would be so hard on my self... Well when I started this journey I was 219# and I am 5'3" and I am now 162# but my goal weight when I started is 150# but I really want to get to 135# but my husband and everyone is telling me not to lose any more weight but reading charts and looking at other 5'3" they are like 120-135. So I need your opinions and be honest because it will push me harder to work on them. I am doing a lot of strength training now to tone up but after having 2 kids I am just not sure how much I can get it away... Thanks in advance :)

697e8c5c-783f-43e6-abd8-702effdd9d60_zps06a0975f.jpg

27c50c9e-3639-41b5-a421-1770a3bb69c3_zps9e372ba3.jpg

And btw the size you are is the size im going for and when I get there I will be just as good as anyone else who's going for a lower BMI etc. You look great.
  • body_in_progress
    body_in_progress Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow, you have done so well. I am about the same height and 135 is also my goal. I hear that too, but I have decided to stop when i am ready, not when everybody else is ready. You should do the same, your the one who needs to be comfortable in your own skin, not them :) Congrats, you look fantastic!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Do what makes YOU happy. Are you comfortable where you are? If they hadn't told you to stop would you even be thinking about stopping? I'm guessing the answer is no, so I don't think you should stop just yet.

That being said, you look great and should be extremely proud of yourself, keep it up chicka!!
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You look awesome. Now it's just time for weight lifting and you will look so hot it will be ridiculous.

See this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/935378-a-lady-who-lifts-1-year-of-progress-pics
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Bump it
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Great job on the loss.

I find myself in a very similar situation now. I'm 5' 7" and 198 lbs down from 375 and I plan on getting down to 160 to get to my ideal weight. Currently I've got a ton of people stopping me and saying how I should stop here and not lose any more. I think it's kind of a sad commentary on contemporary culture when a nearly 200 lb man of my height who still has a big belly is considered "Normal enough" by people that they think I should stop here.

Really, this is your journey and your body. The impetus to be healthy is on you, and it's entirely your call.Maybe people are jealous, or insecure. I don't really know, but I do know that you've come this far by your own volition so you can get the rest of the way to your ideal that way also :)

Just keep pluggin' along and you will silence them.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You look great, congratulations
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!