Avocados - I love them, but their so high in calories?

Options

Replies

• Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    I don't care about the calories in avocados cause i'm going to eat them no matter what, they have loads of great health benefits and makes it worth it.
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used to meticulously meld a piece of plastic wrap to the cut surfaces of my leftover avocado, pressing out air bubbles to get rid of the dreaded brown spots, until I found out you can store a cut up avocado submerged in water in a container overnight. They're so high in fat that they won't absorb the water that quickly, and that way they're not exposed to ANY air..

The only thing the citrus and pit tricks do is keep less of the surface area exposed to air. I've found the water trick works so much better.

On avocado storage & ripening: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/the-food-lab-the-best-guacamole-avocados-science-browning-ripening.html?ref=search
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Avocados are awesome. They are loaded with fiber, so there's more to them than just fats. I sometimes eat a whole one with just a little lime juice sprinkled on it.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I can't live without them! Today I mashed out 3/4 of one up with garlic and lemon juice and spread it on a low carb tortilla with ham and tomatos. So amazing. Eat them. They Rock.
  • chrmdone1980
    chrmdone1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i use the saran rap and wrap it really tight - also if you want to slow the ripening of an avocado put it in the fridge.
  • xtrasmall
    xtrasmall Posts: 66
    Options
    its spelled they're ugh.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/2 one everyday...excellent food...good fats less calories in half an avocado than 2 slices of bread
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Another way I found to store them when you don't use the whole thing all at once: put it in a tupperware container with some chopped onion. I googled "how to store unused avocado" one time, found that on a blog, and have been doing it ever since. It can last a couple days this way.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    its spelled they're ugh.

This has already been covered. The topic is about avocado, not about spelling.
    Seriously, if you have nothing productive to say, then do not speak at all.
    Even people with good spelling get errors on here, due to maybe using their phones to post, or being tired.
    When you are 100% perfect, then maybe you might have a right to pick on someone else's grammar.
  • Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love avocados, I can't imagine only eating half of one!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    they're... not their...

Thank you. I weep reading these forums sometimes.

Yes thank you, I was so tempted to do it myself lol

I tried but can't change the topic statement - please consider how your comments make me feel. Sorry my error makes you weep. I am new to this .

LOL thats when I start making double the errors. Like this...

So your upsat thatz me use their in da rung contaxt. I sorree. Your rite it was rung to use it that way and me glad u coreketed me youre teechin mes gramer and stuff halps alot. I wont not never say their rung agains. i promise there r ppl where who want to make me smrter. And u halped. Theyre times when I mess up n its people like u who halp me to member to type rite so that other people thier on the compooters canz understans. thanx!

:noway: rofl
    Just love people who think they know it all.

If you know so much why not answer her question?

For those of you mentioning spelling errors I'd be very careful because it is against forum rules and I got a nice note from one of the mods yesterday telling me so when she thought I was also doing this when I wasn't. Just letting you know you might get a strike.
  • yrambot
    yrambot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Avacados are awesome in smoothies! Especially with mangos!!!

Totally!

My favorite smoothie is:
    1/2 avocado
    1/2 mango
    2 cups spinach
    1/2 cucumber
    2 stalks celery
    1/2 lime
    5 oz apple juice
    15 oz water

Like crack, seriously!!!
  • ddellner
    ddellner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So those of you who don't eat a whole one...how do you store the other half without it getting gross?
  • ddellner
    ddellner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Cut your avocado in half and use the half with out the seed. Keep the seed in the other half and cover with saran wrap and press down on the fruit
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi I saw a recipe posted today that had avocado & shrimp, two of my favourite ingredients. However calorie wise an avocado is really high. I've heard it said that it is a good fat ? Can anyone explain?

just eat it in moderation and you will be fine.
    ^
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Think of avocados like an investment purchase: Yes, it's expensive, but it has so many wonderful things in it that are great for you so it's good if you make room for it in moderation. :smile:
    Monounsaturated fats are the GOOD fats that you want, also in nuts & olives/ olive oil.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It's an avocado...it's kind of different from eating a piece of cake...JS...lol
  • mrsjobba2
    mrsjobba2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments - I will keep eating avocado - in moderation of course.
  • cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    they are high due to high levels of fats, fats contain double the "calories" per gram compared to carbs/proteins...

However (prepare for bro-science)

calories are units of heat produced when a substance is burnt....

so avocados get a bit of a bad rap for being high in calories when im fairly sure that there is plenty of evidence to support them being a fantastic food and great source of fats.

you need fat in your diet to correctly regulate your bodily functions, including neurotransmitter levels and blood fat percentages...

If you have a "low-fat" diet, get some Avocado in there!! id also recommend fish oil, to help regulate your body
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I just eat the avocado even when it's gone brown (like a day or two sliced in the fridge), tastes fine to me. Wonder if it's bad for you....