Pistol Squats

Options
13»

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think I might have done one on vacay during road trip rest room stops that weren't up to snuff because of the big hole in the ground cause I was scared of something like this...but with sasquatch or chubacabra or llorona or something. idk. *smh*:embarassed:

seated-pistol-squat.gif
    newtoliet.gif

fastest. gun. in the west! pew pew.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    That reminds me of when I was little and used to do shoot the duck at the skating rinks!!!
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have to do a modified version of these. They are brutal! I have bad knees and they remind me how bad they are everytime that I attempt these in one of my workouts! Kudos to anyone that can successfully do these!

100% agree, my poor knees will be hurting for ever. Great for those bootylicious fanatics and those will superb knees!
  • KatrinaWilke
    Options
    2326290551_6f89e15689_z.jpg?zz=1
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I didn't know what they were either... thanks for the pic... HOLY HELL!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I can. I can even do a couple on a balance plate/balance disc (I have both).

I attribute it to years of physical therapy. Two ankle surgeries (3 injuries) so a combined 2.5-3 years physical therapy where they made me do pistol squats on a balance plate. Now I have my own balance plate and do them at home.
  • KatrinaWilke
    Options
    I am not the strongest person, but I can do them easily. I am SUPER flexible!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely trying this when I go to the gym tonight. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Getting close. I think it will happen in a couple more months (or less). Didn't realize these would be so hard.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I might have to give this a go...although I suspect that I won't be able to get that far as I need to increase mobility through my calves/achilles to prevent my heel from raising off the floor. But, thanks to my squats I am getting better there.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I can, i had to do them in PT
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with bodyweight and dumbbells, pistol squats are my squats. They are my primary get big and strong leg exercise.

I do them several ways:

- Loaded w/dumbbells on shoulders, leg switch front-back (PR of +70 lb x3 reps @ 200 lb BW)

When loaded there is a form variation where you can shift your front leg back coming out of the hole (once you get the clearance), it makes them easier. However this isn't the case when unloaded, load adds balance and gives you more center of gravity options. Above was done that style. It is more posterior chain dominant, more like a back squat.

Edit - Here is a video of me doing this form with 50 lbs (2x 25): http://youtu.be/lWdJGZgMZ4g

- Loaded w/dumbbells on shoulders (PR of +50 lb x3 reps @207 lb BW), leg held in front throughout

This form is more quad dominant, more like a front squat

- Rest-pause Myo-reps one side at a time (PR of somewhere near 60 total reps each side)

This is an autoregulated volume workout where I do a single side bodyweight set to near failure, take 5 breaths, do another, take 5 breaths, do another, etc... til I start to drop reps, then I switch to 10 breaths and keep going until I start to drop reps and pretty much reach total failure. Then repeat on the other side. It'll leave ya walkin funny and is great for hypertrophy.

- Straight sets of bodyweight, one side at a time (PR of 13 reps straight on weaker leg)

I usually prefer the rest-pause approach simply to save time, but occasionally work straight sets. Bodyweight are always done leg in front throughout, and I try to hold it as high as possible.

- Switching sides with each rep (PR of 24 (12 each side), been a long time since I did this, could probably go into the 20's on each side with ease nowadays)

Easier than trying to straight set one side at a time. Side switching gives a little rest between each rep that allows you to run up the volume big time.

- Pistol squat jumps onto an object (PR of 5 per side onto a 24" box (long time ago))

Land soft. Jump to the side. This isn't as hard as it sounds, most people can one leg hop a few inches without issue. Add in the space to lift your leg, and it isnt really that much more difficult than a standard pistol. If you can bang out pistols pretty easily, surely you can do these.

- Jump Switch Pistol (PR of 3 per side. Here is a video of me doing them: http://youtu.be/cMUP4t--qec)

These are really fickin hard. The jump is the easy part, controlling the landing is the hard part. These are really akin to 1 legged depth jumps. The trick is to not jump that high, or it just makes the landing that much more difficult. Just a few reps of these really trash the legs.

- Little pink dumbbell pistol (PR of one rep on my stronger leg. LOL on my weaker leg).

A name I made up for a super hard variation. Grab a little pink dumbell and hold it behind your lower back with BOTH arms, maintaining your grip on the dumbbell held vertically with both hands throughout. The way you have to shift your weight and tighten muscles, and the lever with the knee, makes this virtually impossible. But it is possible. I don't care how much you squat, chances are you can't do a little pink dumbbell pistol.

Little pink dumbbell pistol is the only one I have a stronger leg PR for. All other PR's are weaker leg, stronger just copies to have symmetical growth. Pretty confident my stronger leg could blow those other above PR's out of the water.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with bodyweight and dumbbells, pistol squats are my squats. They are my primary get big and strong leg exercise.

I do them several ways:

- Loaded w/dumbbells on shoulders, leg switch front-back (PR of +70 lb x3 reps @ 200 lb BW)

When loaded there is a form variation where you can shift your front leg back coming out of the hole (once you get the clearance), it makes them easier. However this isn't the case when unloaded, load adds balance and gives you more center of gravity options. Above was done that style. It is more posterior chain dominant, more like a back squat.

- Loaded w/dumbbells on shoulders (PR of +50 lb x3 reps @207 lb BW), leg held in front throughout

This form is more quad dominant, more like a front squat

- Rest-pause Myo-reps one side at a time (PR of somewhere near 60 total reps each side)

This is an autoregulated volume workout where I do a single side bodyweight set to near failure, take 5 breaths, do another, take 5 breaths, do another, etc... til I start to drop reps, then I switch to 10 breaths and keep going until I start to drop reps and pretty much reach total failure. Then repeat on the other side. It'll leave ya walkin funny and is great for hypertrophy.

- Straight sets of bodyweight, one side at a time (PR of 13 reps straight on weaker leg)

I usually prefer the rest-pause approach simply to save time, but occasionally work straight sets. Bodyweight are always done leg in front throughout, and I try to hold it as high as possible.

- Switching sides with each rep (PR of 24 (12 each side), been a long time since I did this, could probably go into the 20's on each side with ease nowadays)

Easier than trying to straight set one side at a time. Side switching gives a little rest between each rep that allows you to run up the volume big time.

- Pistol squat jumps onto an object (PR of 5 per side onto a 24" box (long time ago))

Land soft. Jump to the side. This isn't as hard as it sounds, most people can one leg hop a few inches without issue. Add in the space to lift your leg, and it isnt really that much more difficult than a standard pistol. If you can bang out pistols pretty easily, surely you can do these.

- Jump Switch Pistol (PR of 3 per side. Here is a video of me doing them: http://youtu.be/cMUP4t--qec)

These are really fickin hard. The jump is the easy part, controlling the landing is the hard part. These are really akin to 1 legged depth jumps. The trick is to not jump that high, or it just makes the landing that much more difficult. Just a few reps of these really trash the legs.

- Little pink dumbbell pistol (PR of one rep on my stronger leg. LOL on my weaker leg).

A name I made up for a super hard variation. Grab a little pink dumbell and hold it behind your lower back with BOTH arms, maintaining your grip on the dumbbell held vertically with both hands throughout. The way you have to shift your weight and tighten muscles, and the lever with the knee, makes this virtually impossible. But it is possible. I don't care how much you squat, chances are you can't do a little pink dumbbell pistol.

Quoted so I can reference this later for variations :smile:

Edit: The jump onto object, I'm a little confused. Like a single leg jump onto a plyobox or something else?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Quoted so I can reference this later for variations :smile:

Edit: The jump onto object, I'm a little confused. Like a single leg jump onto a plyobox or something else?

Yep.

Sturdy chair works good for them. Especailly since you can grab the back if need be to get your balance once you land.

Tip for beginners trying to get these - LEAN FORWARD. The more upright you are, the harder they are. Upright forms are great as you get stronger, but at first, lean your torso as far forward as you can throughout the rep. If you are leaning far enough, your chest should hit your quad before your hamstrings hit your calves.
  • OrdinaryDude300
    OrdinaryDude300 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No way. I collapse before parallel. I got weak hamstrings and hip flexors. I need to hold my partners belt that she extends with her arms and assets with my arms to get up. Flexibility hinders me for this exercise. Seems bad for the knees. I am right or wrong? Piss me off she does 3 like nothing first time trying no help. Probably cause she does *kitten* to grass barbell squats and has great balance. I think her lower body weight distribution helps where I am top heavy. Magnifies the difficulty a lot. Many factors not just raw strength