What's the biggest thing you've done to improve your diet?

Options

Replies

• Ciiaa
    Ciiaa Posts: 9
    Options
    I eat smaller portions and i stay away from candy, sugar and refined flour:)
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Pack your lunches for work/ school/ whatever. Never buy them. A money and diet lifesaver!
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    not eating nearly as much junk as I used to, eating more fruits and veggies, and most importantly, weighing and measuring my portions! That last one helped significantly
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    more nutrient dense whole foods...less junk food and processed food. no high fructose corn syrup and no trans fats.
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Went plant-based vegan. Totally stopped my binge-eating in its tracks!
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead of time! If I don't plan...I eat crap. Cut up my fruits and veggies and tupperware them ahead of time....peel some hard boiled eggs. Make sure I have the stuff to make decent meals, and easy stuff to fall back on, knowing occasionally I'm going to be lazy. It's better to have a few lean cuisine's handy when I don't want to cook instead of eating a box of crackers and a pound of cheese instead.
  • ChristinaD2
    Options
    The biggest improvement for me has been eliminating nighttime snacking; I try to not eat anything after dinner.
    This is the main reason that I do most of my workouts at night... It keeps me busy and then, after the workout, I don't want to ruin it.
    (The second biggest improvement has been giving up diet soda.)
  • sun_ny
    sun_ny Posts: 35
    Options
    Ive completely reduced my intake of orange juice, olive oil, margarine and alcohol, alcohol is still a vice but i'm seeing good results,:)
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Pre-planning, and prepping for the week – nothing in the house that is not on my meal plans, no chance of mindless snacking. Eating whole, organic, natural foods and skipping the processed foods. Most of the processed foods I used to like I can make from scratch anyway and forgo the lab-creative funkiness.

Exact Same!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've made a lot of changes, one step at a time over the past 2 years, but I'd say the one that made the biggest impact was severely cutting back on sugary drinks.

I used to drink pop, iced tea and juice (mmm pink lemonade) all the time. I'd say between 2-5 sugary drinks most days. Plus, sugar and milk in my tea. Now most days I only drink water and peppermint green tea. I only have a sugary drink as a treat. This was one of the first changes I made and I believe it was responsible for about 15 pounds coming off pretty quickly. I also cut down on chocolate bars and candy around the same time. I used to eat a ridiculous amount of sugar, I don't even want to think about how bad that was for me.

The next things I did was to increase my vegetables. I made a goal of trying a "new" one (something I didn't usually buy) each week for a while and learning how to cook it in a way I like.

Those are my top two but I could go on and on about this one!
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I keep fresh fruits and veggies all cut up and ready to grab when hunger strikes. Just as easy to reach for a bowl of cantaloupe as it is to open a bag of chips.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    A lot less alcohol, nuts and cheese. Reduced amounts of chocolate. More fish. Watching the salt and the starches carefully.

But mainly: Getting back to using the scale regularly, and logging. Both of those activities help me tracking what the quality of food I eat does to me, and helps me pinpoint what gives bad reactions or weight gain, respectively.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Avoid soda like the plague.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    portion control
  • alexisjfrank
    Options
    For me its been investing in a cabinet full of spices. I love the salt-free Mrs Dash and McCormick spice blends, really makes a difference on things like steamed veggies or chicken.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm hungry I always drink water first, it helps keep me going a lot more than just eating and also helps fill me up.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I limited my serving sizes and actually started to count calories. I use to be a bottomless pit. I learned to limit what i put on my plate.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Though it was a long time ago since I started my diet, I'd probably have to say soda! I didn't even like it much and used to drink it because it was an option.. Then when I learnt of calories... Almost never drink calories anymore!!

ETA: I used to only care about calories but lately I've started to be really wary of sodium and potassium levels (mainly because I'm very prone to bloating!!)
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Stopped relying on carbs.

I still eat them, but not in the same quantities, not in every meal, they tend to be vegetable based rather than processed ones (other than the shakes I have for breakfast sometimes) and if I need a snack, I'll be looking for protein and veg instead.

Refined carbs are quite simply, addictive, and reducing them for a couple of weeks meant they lost their appeal. Now, if I want them, I don't habitually overeat them like I used to. The amount of pasta I consumed last night proves to me how carbs make it so easy to go over - but I won't be eating them again tonight or tomorrow, so that's okay.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    Planning. I write out the entire weeks menu and shop for all the food at once. I fail at this when I try winging it.