Did you lose weight after having the Mirena taken out?

Options

Replies

• karris43
    karris43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thank goodness I found this thread. I already had a hunch that my Mirena was causing weight gain but when I went to see my practice nurse she told me it was impossible. She also told me that the acne (I'm 51!) and the spots on my groin were not due to the Mirena. When I produced the insertion guide, which stated all these and more as side effects, she told me that I 'shouldn't have that' and asked me to leave.

I got it removed last Thursday and I am determined to lose the weight I have put on, approx 30lb, probably more. And all around my tummy - I looked continuously pregnant. I am also menopausal, so I understand that I might not see as fast a weight loss as someone younger, but I'm giving this my best shot now. I'm so relieved that the hormones are receding now and I will soon be back to normal. I never really liked the idea if it in any case, but persevered for nearly 3 years with it.

Good luck to everyone else, please let me know how you all get on.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I did lose weight when I had mine removed and it improved my mood tremendously.
    I have felt a lot more motivated since having it removed and have improved my fitness a lot (I was working on it whilst I had my implant in but it has improved so much since removal because I don't feel as lethargic).
    I found with it in even 20 minutes of exercise a day left me feeling "exhausted" and I am a 21 year old female, so that should not have been the case! It could be because I was pretty unfit but I still found it to be unusual.
    Anyway, after having it removed I definitely feel some of my weight loss was assisted by the fact I wasn't getting such a terrible hormone imbalance anymore and it has definitely improved my overall mood.

BUT do not think having it removed will make you automatically lose weight. You might lose 5lbs from it but it's your job to keep that off and to keep working at it. I chose to ignore the fact I'd had it removed and continue to work hard at my diet and exercise and that's how I dropped almost 2 dress sizes in 4 months. I think it probably did contribute a little, but you can't think like that or you are setting yourself up for failure.
    You will STILL have to get yourself out of the bad food habits you have created because the implant does not make you fat, what you are eating due to a hormone imbalance has made you gain weight and you will still have to break that habit now you are used to it.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thank goodness I found this thread. I already had a hunch that my Mirena was causing weight gain but when I went to see my practice nurse she told me it was impossible. She also told me that the acne (I'm 51!) and the spots on my groin were not due to the Mirena. When I produced the insertion guide, which stated all these and more as side effects, she told me that I 'shouldn't have that' and asked me to leave.

I got it removed last Thursday and I am determined to lose the weight I have put on, approx 30lb, probably more. And all around my tummy - I looked continuously pregnant. I am also menopausal, so I understand that I might not see as fast a weight loss as someone younger, but I'm giving this my best shot now. I'm so relieved that the hormones are receding now and I will soon be back to normal. I never really liked the idea if it in any case, but persevered for nearly 3 years with it.

Good luck to everyone else, please let me know how you all get on.

I got terrible acne from the implant and I still have it after having it removed 4 months ago.
    I will say that it is slowly but surely clearing up but you will need a prescripted cream for it and even after removal, it will not instantly go away.

My advice to anyone considering the implant - RUN AS FAR AWAY FROM IT AS POSSIBLE!
  • carlisledawn
    Options
    Omg I am getting mine put in tomorrow and I'm kind of freaking out!! It is 50/50 reading about people experiences with this!! I am working so hard to lose weight and I really do not need any other obstacles to get in my way!! Wish me luck!!
  • LauraDman
    Options
    I am having mine taken out next Tuesday. Finally called and scheduled the appointment.

I was never above 140 unless I was pregnant. After I had my second child in May 2008, I was on the pill for about a year before decided to give the Mirena a shot.

At the time, June 2009, I was almost down to my pre-pregnancy weight, weighed in at 127 at the appointment to get the IUD.

First few months were an adjustment, I bled a lot but now never/very rarely have a period at all.

BUT I gained 30 pounds by the end of 2009. THIRTY POUNDS. This was over a year after I had my son so had nothing to do with Pregnancy. I've been dieting, trying to lose the weight, nada. I've pretty much plateau'd at 155-160. I am constantly bloated. I've had severe mood swings and depression. For a long time I did not connect it with the Mirena but I really think that is what has caused it. I also have almost NO libido. I can "get into it" once started but I have no desire. And it is not an issue of not being attracted to my husband as you could put the sexiest man on Earth in bed with me and I would have no desire. Before the Mirena I did have a sex drive.

Fingers crossed that getting this thing removed helps! It is good to know that I'm not the only one though.

That said --- as with any hormone treatment, it wildly varies by person as your body produces hormones on it's own and some will produce more than others and have different side effects. So as much as I hate it for me, it could be great for the next person.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I am so jealous of everyone who's period has stopped because of Mirena. I have Mirena and still have mine:( It's not as heavy but I still get cramps and everything!! I have had my mirena for a little over a year and the first 4 months were hell for me!! It threw off my cycle as to where I would get a period every few weeks, I had awful, awful cramping and was miserable. I can't take birth control pills and my pcp said this was the best option. I went back in almost crying telling her to take it out. She asked me if I could wait a little longer and I agreed. Thankfully all my issues stopped as I guess I was used to it by then.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I'm having my Mirena removed this coming Thursday.

I've noticed that I'm not losing weight since starting with exercise and diet modification. I had previously lost 5 pounds without knowing it from cutting out soda and fast food, but that's it. So I'm thinking that my body thinks it's pregnant and won't let itself continue to lose weight. I think I gained like a LOT of weight from the Mirena, but I can't be sure because there have been so many other factors working at the same time.

I will provide updates after it's out.
  • ashleyballam
    Options
    I am actually on my second Mirena IUD, my son will be 6 this summer (I had my first put in when he was 8weeks) & my second a few months ago. I have never had any negative side effects with either of them . My weight issues come from getting comfy with my love and eating way too much take out & junk food with my kids ! When my second one was put in, I was extra emotional but my doc said it was the influx of hormones, which has since subsided. With all that said everyone's body responds differently. Personally I never could take birthcontrol pills or shots without nausea or yeast infection side effects.
  • AnonimousBlue
    Options
    To everyone who has had their's for 5 years and loved it, I am soooo happy for you! Everyone's body is different and if you are not having side effects then Mirena is a great option for you and I'm jealous! I don't think no one should have the opportunity to have one, but I do think they need to warn women about the side effects that are popping up and close monitor women at their OBGYN appointments.

To those who love it and have had it for less than 2 year, BEWARE!!!! I bled for 10 years straight prior to getting my Mirena and so after I got it and my periods stopped I thought it was a God send! But after 2 years my period came back! Very light bleeding but very intense pain. I recently found out that I was ovulating on Mirena and getting large ovarian cysts that were super painful when they burst. I ran a fever and had nausea and vomiting and digestive distress every month for at least 2 weeks. They would press on my bladder and make me have to pee like a pregnant 90 year old. Also, over the past year even though my diet has gotten healthier I cannot stop piling on weight. I stopped eating all processed foods, cut out sugar, even went raw vegan and continued to gain. I did a full cycle of P90X and gained 5 pounds. I have developed acne and started growing hair in places I never had before. I am always bloated and can gain 15 pounds of water weight over night!! I've been frustrated and depressed and didn't attribute it to Mirena till recently. I actually have an OBGYN who agrees that it could very well be the cause and removed it Monday.!

WARNING! I was told Mirena crash was not real by the nurse. She was wrong! The next day I was oddly miserable and uncomfortable and didn't want to leave my house...I didn't even want my boyfriend to look at me! It was soooo strange!!! I got my period yesterday and I tell you it is the least painful period I have had in a year! I'm not throwing up or running a fever! I'm not bloated and I've already lost 6 pounds.

I will say that I was always hot and since I got my Mirena out, i am always freezing!!! Has anyone else experienced this? My boyfriends says when I was hot my hands and feet were always cold... not that I feel like I'm freezing, my skin is always warm. I can't help but think this has something to do with circulation. Has anyone heard of Mirena messing wth circulation?
  • cnewlin86
    cnewlin86 Posts: 87
    Options
    I've had my Mirena since November 2008. It's due to come out this November. When I got pregnant with my son I was 135. When I had him I was 190 and before I let the hospital I dropped 30lbs. I gained a ton of water weight and he was 9lbs 4oz as well. At my 6 week appointment I was back in my pre-pregnancy jeans and feeling great. I was breastfeeding so I didn't really workout because I was worried it would effect my supply. The lowest weight I got back to was 154 and when I quit breastfeeding my weight has crept on. On Jan 19th, 2013 I weighted in at 177.8lbs. I haven't ate the healthiest and I contribute some of my weight gain to that but honestly until I had my son I NEVER struggled with weight. So I figured it was from a change in my metabolism from having my son. Over the last few years there have been Several times I have lost 15-20lbs and gained it all back. Currently I've been working very HARD to lose weight. I am losing some but It seems like it should be going faster but I try not to get discouraged. My biggest concern from reading this post is I can relate to the lack of sex drive. I thought I was just tired from being a mom, an employee and a student but I could care less about sex. ANd lately it just seems to be worse since I've been exercising. I have no desire to have sex. this is prob too much enough but I can barely get wet and/or stay that way long enough to finish. It's VERY depressing! My husband asked me if it was him and I'm like no, its me but I thought maybe it was due to my weight gain but now, reading this I know over the last 5 years this has been a problem. It makes me want to have it out sooner but I don't know that now is the right "time" to have it removed. ahhhhhhhhhhh.....but I feel frustrated....is it making it harder for me to loose the weight? is it the cause of my low sex drive? this all makes me feel a bit overwhelmed....i'm thinking a trip to the doctor to discuss things is in order! ASAP!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant with my son I was 204, when he was born I was 228. I got the Mirena at my 6 week post partum in April 2012.. I didn't gain super fast, in July I was 232. I was watching what I ate and exercising and by October I was in the 240s and in December I was at my highest of 249.8 and freaked out and went hardcore on the weight loss mission. I'm back down to 232 now but I've NEVER had this much trouble losing weight. And the fact that I have to work hard to not gain, tells me something's not right. I'm losing weight, so I can live with that. What I can't handle is the low sex drive. I use to literally attack my fiance and AS SOON as I got the Mirena in I didn't want to be touched at all. I still cringe sometimes when he tries to be close, but he knows it's the IUD and not HIM. He wants me to get it out even if I have to resort to a tubal. I feel done having kids but he wants one more, so I don't feel right doing that until we are both on the same page. But I don't know what else to get. Depo is DEFT a bad choice for me, it is the same effect. I'm also afraid of gaining these 18 lbs back if I change to something else. And I have very sensitive skin, so the copper IUD may not work for me either....
  • Joyyfull4u
    Joyyfull4u Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have had my IUD for 2 yrs now. The first month was horrible. I was in so much pain almost everyday for about 2 months. I wanted it out,but my doctor told me to take Ibuprofen because it thins the blood. After 3 months the pain went away. I still get cramps about every 2 to 3 months,which I have always had even as child they was horrible. Sometimes I go 2 months without a period. But sometimes the pain is crazy bad in my stomach and legs, to the point I have to move around to make it go a way. But I didn't notice any weight gain from it. Since I started working out in January, I have lost about 16 pounds and some inches. I can fit some closes I couldn't before. I have went form size 18 to 14/16. I eat what I want in moderation. I drink smoothies almost every morning, I try not to miss a meal or snack. I drink 4bottls of water a day trying to go 5 or 6 haven't conquered that challenge yet. I have been on a 2 month squat challenge which helped with the slim down and I cut sodas/punch/juice out. Which were my biggest problems and contributed to my weight gain. When I cut the sweet drinks out I noticed a huge change. My friend has done the same thing and has told me she has notice a huge difference with her body since she let sodas go. I had to change my workout and eating routines also because I work 9 - 10 hr days and I can only work out at night. I use to workout first then eat and go to bed. Well that food was still on my stomach at night. Now I eat first then workout late and it has helped. I don't like working out later, but it has helped. If you are working out a lot your fat is turning to muscle and muscle is heavier than fat.

I was stressed/depressed prior to having the IUD put in and the more I got depressed about my financial / housing situation and problems I was having with my teenage son, the more I ate. I do have a lack of sex drive I thought it was just me getting older and stress/depression, I looked it up and that is one of the side of affects. Now after reading some of the posts here I know it is a fact or it could be that I am single and over weight and do not find myself attractive anyway.

I have not had any acne breakout, my hair is growing and it is healthy, so is my skin. I may be a little emotional at times, but not where I lash out on people. lol. I'm usually happy.
  • karris43
    karris43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I thought that would post here to let all those of you who asked about weight loss after Mirena what happened to me. I gained a lot of weight while I had my Mirena (it had a lot of good points like light periods!) but I gained 30+lb, mostly around my stomach area and hips. During the time I had it in I had no changes in diet or exercise or lifestyle. Mine came out about a month ago.

Combined with MFP, some light exercise and removal of my Mirena I have lost 4 inches from my tummy area, 2 from my hips and 2 from my underbust. I know I have lost at least 6lb in the first 3 weeks, but I'm only weighing myselfevery month so it will be more soon. All this has happened in 1 month. Within a week of having the Mirena removed my stomach had 'deflated' and was more solid. I can't be sure but I think that must have been water retention.

I am 51 and perimenopausal, so weight loss is not easy, but in all these circumstances I have managed, in just a month after the removal, to make a start on losing all this weight, so it is possible. I also have had no severe headaches since it was removed and the acne under my chin has healed.

Everyone is different, and I know some women are more than happy with Mirena, but if you are suffering with weight gain and other symptoms like I was I hope this post gives you some hope that it can go back to 'normal' soon after removal.
  • JessicaMason1020
    Options
    I am so glad I found this blog. I did my research prior to finally having my Mirena removed (which happened today!!:bigsmile: ) I began my search on this because of my outrageous weight gain, and found a list of many more side effects that fit as well.
    My story : prior to my pregnancy I weighed 118 lbs. I was 18/19, and had been active, doing dance on the high school team as well as at a studio. I graduated and found out the summer of 08 I was expecting. In January 09 I had my daughter and weighed 141. 2 weeks after I left the hospital I weighed 125. I was thrilled. I got the option to get the mirena, after 9 months of no period, I loved it (and summer was right around the corner!!) March 15 2009 I got the mirena, I weighed 120. Within months my sex drive dropped:huh: (something I obviously enjoyed before…hence my daughter lol) and I was constantly tired. My husband worked third shift, I was a stay at home. I could nap during the day when ever I wanted and slept fine at night since our daughter only woke up once after I would go to bed. By September she slept all night and so did I.. yet I was still exhausted and hormonal, worse than when I was pregnant.:explode: :yawn:
    October 2009 I was back up to 125, that was fine. I wasn’t as active and it was a health weight. I was content. By December 2009 I started working again and was up to 130. Still not bad I told myself, but deep down I did not like it. By June 2010 I was up to almost 140 again, I had enough. I started going to the gym 3-4 days a week, and seeing minimal results. By November I was at 134 and for reasons had to give up my membership. At that time I was still working at a grocery store, constantly moving, and on my feet up to 9 hours a day. I still gained weight. October 2011 I started my job as a csr, I sit and answer phones. Since the business is in the medical field they are excellent with promoting a healthy life style and fitness. We are given some of the lowest memberships at our community gyms. June 2012 I finally decided to go back. I had already been watching what I was eating, even tried the HCG drops. I started weighing at 158 and going to the gym 3 days a week, doing 45+ of cardio, and zumba 1-2 a week. I have counted calories using MFP, and stayed below my calories. 8 months later I STILL weigh 158! :mad:
    After my break down a few weeks ago I finally made the decision to get it out. I am back on the pill and hope to see at least SOME results… if not my weight than at least in my energy and sex life. Wish me luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Anned31
    Anned31 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am so happy to know that I am not crazy. I have had Mirena in for three years and I am making my appointment to have it removed. I gained 20 pounds within the first year, my skin is also breaking out. My skin has never looked so bad! For a while now I have been thinking it was due to Mirena. I will post my skin and weight changes after I have it removed.
  • FBomber76
    FBomber76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My story: I worked out and ate well during my entire pregnancy. I was at a normal weight when I was pregnant, maybe about 3-4 pounds over my 'perfect' weight. I gained 45 pounds with him, and another 5 of water weight at the very end (August baby and I blew up like a balloon the last two weeks, it was gross) I worked out my entire pregnancy, all the way up to the week he was born. He was 10lb, 3 ounces, so a big boy. I dropped 35 right away. Then another 5 or so. Then I had the Mirena put in when he was six months old and had stopped nursing.

I was working out and eating healthy and the weight didn't budge. I would lose a pound, gain it back, lose two, gain three. I was constantly bloated. I joined Fitness Pal to make sure I wasn't eating more than I should and still kept working out. Nothing. I tried a very high protein, low carb diet (more like Paleo). Lost two pounds, gained them back. I was working out 5 days a week, getting up at 5 am to go before work which was brutal, I am NOT a morning person. NO results. This has never, ever happened to me. I am not as someone else said, a "fattyMcfatty" who stuffs my face and sits on my *kitten*. I am not a snacker.

I was beyond frustrated at my lack of results and gave up. About six months ago we decided we wanted another kid and I got so sick of being disappointed I got off of myfitnesspal and just did what I wanted. I wasn't pigging out, and I was still working out, but I wasn't eating as clean as I was before. I didn't gain a single pound at all, or lose, which to me was telling. It was like I was "stuck" at that same number. 6 pounds more than I weighed before I was pregnant, 10 pounds more than my perfect weight. That was it 10 pounds total, and STUCK. So we're not talking excessive weight here.

Sex drive? That went bye bye the day it was put in. I react that way to all birth control anyway so I expected that.

Then about four months ago I started having all of these vaginal issues, similar to a yeast infection. Very sore, raw, irritated. I would treat for a yeast infection and it helped for a day and that was it. I went in to my OB and they couldn't find anything wrong and suggested it was my detergent. I started hand washing my underwear in fragance-free Woolite. Didn't help. I would also have random sharp cramps. I started doing research on Mirena and started tracing timelimes and came to the conclusion that it was the Mirena causing me the vaginal issues and the cramps. I asked to have it removed, we were planning on having another baby anyway and I would just use condoms until we were ready to try again. My OB is awesome and she had no arguments and removed it. She didn't try to argue away my symptoms.

I had it removed about 2 months ago. Literally within 48 hours the vaginal issue was gone. And that constant bloated feeling I had, like I was pregnant, also gone. A week ago I joined MFP again, and got consistency back with my workouts. I have already lost almost four pounds. In a week. I am not doing any crazy diets this time, just eating healthy and keeping under my calories, just like I was doing before when I had no results. Now, four pounds gone, in one friggin week. That tells me something.

At the rate I'm going, I will be back in my old clothes and at my goal weight by the beginning of May if not sooner. The ONLY explanation I have is Mirena. NEVER AGAIN. Once we have baby 2, I am never going on any other form of birth control again, I just think it screws up my body too badly. Not getting a period may be nice, but I think that's what caused me to start having vaginal issues, its the way your body cleans out your system, so if that isn't happening, I imagine all sorts of things can go wrong. I'd rather bleed once a month and not hate my body the way I have since I had my son.

Screw you Mirena. And yes, there are class action law suits against it now. Did you know that the side affect list for Mirena distributed in Canada is a LOT longer than US one? I wonder what else is on that list?
  • snelson1966
    snelson1966 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump, had one installed Jan 2013 and I haven't lost any weight since. Never though it could the Mirena
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Bump. Having mine removed next month. CAN'T WAIT!
  • sessik86
    sessik86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have had the mirena for almost 5 yrs now. I get it out in August. When I first got on it, I thought I was going to have to have it removed because I had horrible cramps. That lasted for the first couple years. The last three I haven't had them. I don't think I gained weight from it. I did have a regular period which I didn't like because I was previously getting shots of depo provera and didn't have one the couple years I was on that
  • tttellier
    tttellier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So glad to read all your posts. I too feel like I am losing my mind. I had mirena inserted 6 wks after having my daughter. (I lost all but 10 lbs when I got the mirena) I have now had it almost the full 5 years. I have put on an additional 15 lbs - now at 152 and have never been this size before. My weight has also settled on my stomach (never before). I just assumed it was my body changing from childbirth. Over the years, I would try to eat healthier or exercise but weight never budged. This year I started MFP to track food and weight. I am eating right (no snacking) and exercising 5-6 times a week and not lost one pound or inch! Ialso have migraines 3 times a week and feeling down most days.

My insurance states I need a referral from primary doctor for removal. I finally got it today after a 3 1/2 week wait. (Stupid woman put my husband's name as the patient...of course insurance denied my husband needing a gynecologist) Now I have a 4 week wait for gyn appt (grrrrrr). Looking forward and hopeful to getting this stupid thing out of me and being able to lose weight!