No more wheat - for me

Options

Replies

• amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    For those of you who cut out wheat and/or gluten, how long was it before you felt a difference?
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I went Gluten free a few weeks ago due to digestive issues I was having as well as having neck rashes. Since giving up gluten, the rash cleared up and I feel much better. I also am losing weight easier, despite also having PCOS, am falling asleep easier at night, and in my opinion look better (no more bloat, which I was struggling with a lot). For me gluten free is what my body needs.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    For those of you who cut out wheat and/or gluten, how long was it before you felt a difference?

about 1 week was all it took for me to feel better, Blood sugar to level out and no food hangover.
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free because of sensitivity....I've been losing weight and feel SO much better. I just stick with more of the Paleoish recipes and eat lots of vegetable and little fruit. AND Protein, protein, protein :)
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    2 months ago I went off dairy,,,both hubby and I. Then since I still had the bloated feeling I went off of wheat and the difference in how my stomach feels is night and day. I had done this about 2 years ago when I went to an allergist and he said I had an intolerance,,but did I really listen...no I love my breads and sweets. I guess I needed to figure out I needed to do this on my own time. I miss cinnamon buns but perhaps one day I will experiment with baking. For know Im just ensuring all my foods I have now is healthy and filling.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

It takes me about two weeks to really start feeling good, eliminating just wheat. I have discovered, however, that my body seems to react to an overload of any type of starch-my sleep is disturbed, my complexion goes a little haywire and I get pms weepy. So weird! On the other hand, it's a great incentive to not eat any of those foods! Amazing how much easier it is to stop eating something when it consistently makes you feel like crap.

ETA: My 7yo son is also wheat-intolerant and we do a lot of baking with spelt flour. Makes the best crunchy pizza crust and biscuits that have the taste and mouth-feel that I want from a biscuit. None of the other gf flours or mixes have done as well for us.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free due to having a rash, migraine, and stomach issues. All those disappeared with a could of weeks of going GF. I slipped up last fall while out of town and found out that wheat also causes me to feel very sleepy now!
    I would not go back to eating gluten at all now. I feel so much better!
    Best of luck to you!:flowerforyou: It takes a little getting used to but most people quite a few benefits from it!
  • ChiefWhitesWife
    ChiefWhitesWife Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I too have just found out that I have a sensitivity to gluten. However, my youngest daughter is SEVERELY allergic to nuts and peas. I am struggling trying to figure out what to fix. It seems like all good recipes I find have some sort of nut with it (almond flour, almond milk....etc.). I'm really glad I found this post, it has been very helpful.
  • TraciWA
    TraciWA Posts: 18
    Options
    My journey began with a no flour/ no sugar diet combined with NoS. Saturday is the day I get to splurge. I began Jan. 6. Through that I discovered I am wheat intolerant. The first week I noticed my ibs something I struggled with since a child was better and the acid reflux I have had went away. That first Saturday I made the family homemade pizza, something we do/did once a week. I had issues. The next week the same. Nothing all week then Saturday intestinal issues, pizza again. Third Saturday I tried a gluten free pizza. No issues. So decided to go gluten free. As of Jan. 6th I have lost 24ibs. I also feel much better. I still hold the rule that I will not have flour(gf) products or sugar on my non s days. We are also transitioning our family. I have one son who has eczema and am hopeful that will help him.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Almost within 2 days, immediate response from my body!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I am also gluten intolerant. I haven't been tested, but anything with gluten or wheat in it is a gastrointestinal disaster for me. I've been reading the Wheat Belly book, and THE most important thing I've learned is to stop trading regular gluten foods for processed GF foods. A lot of these products have potato and tapioca flour and starches in them that spike your blood sugar just as badly as regular gluten containing foods do. That may be why I haven't lost weight so far. I've also not been 100% on it until the last few weeks.

My advice is, know your own body and focus on WHOLE foods, not processed, even GF processed. Best of luck to you! I've sent you a friend request, btw. :drinker:
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Oh, and "Everyday Paleo" is a GREAT cookbook for this!
  • anorrisdyer
    anorrisdyer Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I felt a difference in about 2 weeks.
  • anorrisdyer
    anorrisdyer Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I too have just found out that I have a sensitivity to gluten. However, my youngest daughter is SEVERELY allergic to nuts and peas. I am struggling trying to figure out what to fix. It seems like all good recipes I find have some sort of nut with it (almond flour, almond milk....etc.). I'm really glad I found this post, it has been very helpful.

Check this out. http://simplygluten-free.com/gluten-free-recipes/nut-free

I your son allergic to things like chickpeas as well? Chickpea flour is nice to work with when you cannot use the nut flours.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Almost within 2 days, immediate response from my body!

Figuring out food allergies and intolerance is a tricky business. It would be expected that the more intolerant your bio-chemistry is toward a substance the faster and more violent the reaction. As an example, some people have an immediately violent reaction to peanuts and without treatment would go into anaphylaxis, while another person might have a milder, headachy-sickish feeling (that may not be the food itself but rather related to something that is added to it). My husband started to have what he thought was the latter type of reaction to peanuts (and peanut butter had been a favorite food since childhood). Happily, he discovered that it was likely not the peanuts themselves but some pesticide or other that they were putting on the non-organic peanuts that was making him sick. When he switched to eating only organic peanut butter, he had no further problems. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My journey began with a no flour/ no sugar diet combined with NoS. Saturday is the day I get to splurge. I began Jan. 6. Through that I discovered I am wheat intolerant. The first week I noticed my ibs something I struggled with since a child was better and the acid reflux I have had went away. That first Saturday I made the family homemade pizza, something we do/did once a week. I had issues. The next week the same. Nothing all week then Saturday intestinal issues, pizza again. Third Saturday I tried a gluten free pizza. No issues. So decided to go gluten free. As of Jan. 6th I have lost 24ibs. I also feel much better. I still hold the rule that I will not have flour(gf) products or sugar on my non s days. We are also transitioning our family. I have one son who has eczema and am hopeful that will help him.

Some experts believe that eczema is almost always related to a food that is being ingested (sometimes it could be something that the skin is contacting). Figuring out what that is can be tricky. My husband struggled with eczema off and on for years and finally figured out that it was caused by the cow's milk products he was eating. When he cut it out, no more eczema. It does seem that we are having more and more people having reactions to food (and a lot more violent reactions are occurring). Some experts believe that it is because of the immune system aberrations caused by the horrendous avalanche of chemicals that have been introduced into the food supply since the 1950s. "Better living through chemistry"? Not.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I found that I was a compulsive binge eater. Then I found out it was wheat that was driving me to binge. I discovered that after tweaking my diet and realized the one thing I did differently that I had not done before was to eliminate all wheat. Not gluten necessarily but wheat. I was still getting carbs (chocolate, dried fruit, yogurt....) but the difference after the wheat was eliminated was HUGE. I did not feel the urge to eat endlessly anymore. I also saw a difference in my face, the bags under my eyes were less, and my skin improved. I read wheat belly, and I agree with some of what is in that book, but not everything. I think the man started out with a good idea then went all over board. I say if you feel good after taking out the wheat, then great! I am glad you found a way t make your body more pleasant to live in. .... Of course... there are those around here who refuse ti ever believe their precious wheat could ever do any harm. They have "My baby didn't do that!" syndrome.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I eat by my meter because I am diabetic. Unfortunately, wheat and grain realy spike my BG. So no I do not eat it. My Diabetes is now controlled and I have lost quite a bit of weight too.

This is usually the part that people refuse to believe. Wheat really does a number on a persons blood sugar. It is not slow release as many believe!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i have rosacea , and its extremely sensitive to wheat products , so i avoid wheat and slat, and it clears up well enough that i can live with myself, i always had clear skin without any troubles through my youth so now facing that every day is a blow,
    i eat properly, i have fewer flare ups and less redness
    for me ,
    wheat and salt do it big time
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If you need help with the transition check out this site: http://www.weightandwellness.com/ these ladies have some amazing podcasts known as "Dishing up nutrition". The explain going gluten free the natural and healthy way not just replacing it with highly processed gluten free products.