Food addiction--it REALLY DOES EXIST!!!

Options

Replies

• iTrainHARD
    Options
    I think this post irritates me because it implies that it is not as hard for the rest of us!

That it is somehow harder for you and a small minority like you, and I think I've seen no real evidence of that in these posts.

Things like "you can have a bowl of candy just sitting there" is not evidence at all. My thing is not candy, I may not want candy but I love and crave other foods. Much better, more delicious, fresh higher-quality calorie-laden foods. (Though all of these things are a matter of perspective too).

It is really hard for most people. Period. You are not a minority, or the exception, or have less control or a disease.

And I feel this viewpoint somehow takes away the credit for the willpower, constant work, education and motivation, and re-working the whole approach to life and eating that the rest of us go through to get to a healthier state.

What you are saying is "oh, it must be not AS HARD for you. You don't know what I'm faced with."

I tend to agree with this. I have been overweight for many periods of my life- while I've lost weight in others. I think about food from the moment I wake up, until I go to sleep. I shovel food into my mouth when others aren't looking. I definitely have a problem with food, and I work really HARD every minute of the day to eat healthy. One day of eating within my calorie limit feels like an eternity. Sorry, but even admitting to all of this, I will never be so fatalistic as to label myself a food addict. Eating healthy and exercising is REALLY hard for many. If it wasn't, then most people would be in shape.
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't need MFP friends. I need sponsors.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options

It is really hard for most people. Period. You are not a minority, or the exception, or have less control or a disease.

Harsh, but I bet there's truth to this for most people who believe they are addicted to food. I always thought I had a food addiction because of the lengths I'd go to score my next bag of candy. I've stolen money countless times from the family budget so I could get candy. I mean, who does that? So it was easy to make a comparison between my food struggles and drug addiction. I would've sworn up and down last year that I had a true addiction to food (namely, sugar). It sure felt like it! And some of the research is pointing in that direction. But the actual way I conquered my struggle with binging was by being kind to myself (no more shame over eating certain foods and no more using food as an escape.) It was all about changing my mindset. I didn't have to quit sugar cold turkey, suffer through withdrawals, and ban it from my life. So, for me, sugar didn't turn out to be an addiction.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Harsh, but I bet there's truth to this for most people who believe they are addicted to food. I always thought I had a food addiction because of the lengths I'd go to score my next bag of candy. I've stolen money countless times from the family budget so I could get candy. I mean, who does that? So it was easy to make a comparison between my food struggles and drug addiction. I would've sworn up and down last year that I had a true addiction to food (namely, sugar). It sure felt like it! And some of the research is pointing in that direction. But the actual way I conquered my struggle with binging was by being kind to myself (no more shame over eating certain foods and no more using food as an escape.) It was all about changing my mindset. I didn't have to quit sugar cold turkey, suffer through withdrawals, and ban it from my life. So, for me, sugar didn't turn out to be an addiction.

You get that that's what addicts do to change as well, right?
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options

THAT is what you got from this post?

You know how some people are more susceptible to say, drug addiction? Or nicotine? It's all about the pleasure center of the brain and the opiod response that SOME people experience stronger than others. It's different than craving or loving a particular food and has ZERO to do with willpower. Let me say that again, IT HAS ZERO TO DO WITH WILLPOWER. There is no implication in this post whatsoever that changing bad habits, trying to eat healthier, be more active, is any easier for non-addicts; it's just different. No easier, no harder, just different.

This is one woman (op), talking about her struggles, trying to relate and give hope to others in the same situation. If you are not in the situation, that's great. But there are a lot of us who struggle with this. I can attest that the high I get from particular foods is as good if not better than the majority of legal and illegal substances that have gotten me high.

So consider yourself lucky if restaurants don't necessarily terrify you because you're afraid that one bite of the wrong thing will send you spiraling. Be glad if you don't feel agonizing shame about the secret eating that you did in the car on your way home from the store. Say a thank you to the universe if food does not consume every waking hour of every day and then plays a major role in your dreams. There are those of us out there who are constantly thinking about our next fix.

And I say this last bit with no malice or even irritation: You're on the motivation and support board-if you don't have any to give regarding this topic, or you don't need any regarding this topic, I'm not sure why you're here.

Good luck to you on your journey.

I don't think encouraging denial is being supportive. I think that the message that "It has nothing to do with willpower" is wrong and destructive, so I feel compelled to speak up. I wasn't aware that only agreeing and enabling is supportive.

An alcoholic may have preferences, but if his favorites not available, will easily just drink anything that contains alcohol. What leads to massive weight gain is not an addiction to food in general, it is through foods you like. You are not pulling over by the side of the field, ripping raw carrots out of the ground and tearing into them without even washing. You want specific foods. Foods you like, foods you enjoy.

And sure, I do know that if I go to my favorite restaurants I will eat that entire sizzling iron cast plate of fries topped with real cheese, ranch dressing and bacon. So I can't go there. And if I do, I must plan for how many calories that will be. If I go to a favorite Mexican place I will have what I usually have and drinks, Korean pancake at a Korean restaurant... etc. So I must plan for it and either not go or accept the calories. But it is a choice. I am an adult woman. It is very hard and I dream of it, and love those foods, but IT IS a matter of willpower. A lot of it.

But no, I never secret ate. That is not a willpower thing. It is an honesty thing. I and blow my calories sometimes, and own it and move on. You can't move on from your mistakes until you learn to own it.

That is why I think this line of thinking is not really supportive.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options

You mean a recovered drug addict can have a little heroin here and there, occasionally, and be perfectly fine, as long as it is within reason and they can afford it?
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    bump to read later
  • karenhray7
    Options

You mean a recovered drug addict can have a little heroin here and there, occasionally, and be perfectly fine, as long as it is within reason and they can afford it?

Please notice the bold portion.
    And like I tell my children, don't ask questions if you know they are ridiculous. It's not as funny as you think.
  • karenhray7
    Options

THAT is what you got from this post?

You know how some people are more susceptible to say, drug addiction? Or nicotine? It's all about the pleasure center of the brain and the opiod response that SOME people experience stronger than others. It's different than craving or loving a particular food and has ZERO to do with willpower. Let me say that again, IT HAS ZERO TO DO WITH WILLPOWER. There is no implication in this post whatsoever that changing bad habits, trying to eat healthier, be more active, is any easier for non-addicts; it's just different. No easier, no harder, just different.

This is one woman (op), talking about her struggles, trying to relate and give hope to others in the same situation. If you are not in the situation, that's great. But there are a lot of us who struggle with this. I can attest that the high I get from particular foods is as good if not better than the majority of legal and illegal substances that have gotten me high.

So consider yourself lucky if restaurants don't necessarily terrify you because you're afraid that one bite of the wrong thing will send you spiraling. Be glad if you don't feel agonizing shame about the secret eating that you did in the car on your way home from the store. Say a thank you to the universe if food does not consume every waking hour of every day and then plays a major role in your dreams. There are those of us out there who are constantly thinking about our next fix.

And I say this last bit with no malice or even irritation: You're on the motivation and support board-if you don't have any to give regarding this topic, or you don't need any regarding this topic, I'm not sure why you're here.

Good luck to you on your journey.

I don't think encouraging denial is being supportive. I think that the message that "It has nothing to do with willpower" is wrong and destructive, so I feel compelled to speak up. I wasn't aware that only agreeing and enabling is supportive.

An alcoholic may have preferences, but if his favorites not available, will easily just drink anything that contains alcohol. What leads to massive weight gain is not an addiction to food in general, it is through foods you like. You are not pulling over by the side of the field, ripping raw carrots out of the ground and tearing into them without even washing. You want specific foods. Foods you like, foods you enjoy.

And sure, I do know that if I go to my favorite restaurants I will eat that entire sizzling iron cast plate of fries topped with real cheese, ranch dressing and bacon. So I can't go there. And if I do, I must plan for how many calories that will be. If I go to a favorite Mexican place I will have what I usually have and drinks, Korean pancake at a Korean restaurant... etc. So I must plan for it and either not go or accept the calories. But it is a choice. I am an adult woman. It is very hard and I dream of it, and love those foods, but IT IS a matter of willpower. A lot of it.

But no, I never secret ate. That is not a willpower thing. It is an honesty thing. I and blow my calories sometimes, and own it and move on. You can't move on from your mistakes until you learn to own it.

That is why I think this line of thinking is not really supportive.

I understand your line of thought about being supportive versus supporting denial. But I still disagree with your assertion that food addiction does not exist and that people who claim to be food addicts are simply weak, looking for an excuse for their lack of willpower. Although, I can imagine that's what it looks like to someone who hasn't dealt with it, or with any other true addiction.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Both these responses summed up both a lack of understanding and a full understanding of addictions. Really cool.

Usually, people that dismiss addictions of various kinds are ignorant of them. They either haven't ever been impacted by them in any way, or they are completely heartless.

Actually, I'm very familiar with addiction. Seeing many friends and parents succumb to crystal meth and heroin gets you familiar to addiction pretty quickly.

And I have to say . . . I don't think food addiction compares to that. I'm not saying that there aren't underlying behavioural/emotional issues that cause people to over eat but I have yet to see anything that remotely comes close to what I've seen with other addicts.

If anybody has chosen their next fix for a cheeseburger over their children and basic needs for survival feel free to correct me.
  • thepersonaboveyou
    Options
    I think this post irritates me because it implies that it is not as hard for the rest of us!
    I find it fascinating that some people seem to want validation that what they are going through is addiction and that you are irritated by being excluded. My takeaway is that I should avoid caring what other people think at all.
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options

SERIOUSLY?????? That is what you have taken away from this post. That I believe that YOU have not worked as hard. I do not know you, I do not care about YOU and I would not imply or make assumptions about your body. I was referring to the people who are in [/u]MY LIFE!!!!![/u]

Things like "you can have a bowl of candy just sitting there" is not evidence at all.

I did not say this and if you want to quote me, then do it correctly. My posts states that "Whenever I walked into someone else’s office there was a bowl of candy or they were eating at their desk." Which is a TEMPTATION to me, it does not mean that I think you can resist it or that you have not worked hard enough that you do not deserve it. In fact, it has absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU!!! It is just another temptation and reminder to ME!!!! NOT YOU!!!!!

"And I feel this viewpoint somehow takes away the credit for the willpower, constant work, education and motivation, and re-working the whole approach to life and eating that the rest of us go through to get to a healthier state."

I feel that your viewpoint is cold, negative, full of contempt, and closed minded. For you have REFUSED to open your mind and actually read these posts for what they say. You cannot or will not see that people such as myself are opening up (or trying to until we got attacked) and the best you can do is slam the door in their face while saying "It is really hard for most people. Period. You are not a minority, or the exception, or have less control or a disease."

I never said it is not hard for you or the others on this board, I ONLY SAID IT is NOT AS HARD FOR THOSE IN MY LIFE!!!!

"I think this post irritates me"

Good, because for years I have been irritated by people such as yourself that immediately judge me. Those that refuse to listen to me, while trying to cram their thoughts and beliefs down my throat. They are the "I KNOW IT ALL's" and no one can possibly be better, different or think unlike them.

If you are so darned irritated then why do you keep coming back? Because you aren't getting your way? Because you are going to shove your knowledge or lack thereof down our throats instead of food? Because you are sadistic?
  • misskate1987
    Options

If anybody has chosen their next fix for a cheeseburger over their children and basic needs for survival feel free to correct me.

I don't have children - but I have chosen food over family and friends. I have chosen food over fuel for my car. I have chosen food over medication. I have driven far away to go to a supermarket where I run no risk of running into someone I know for food.

Food addiction and binge eating disorder are very real things.

They're not as obviously debilitating perhaps as drug addiction or alcoholism - but they do rule your life.

I struggle every day. Food and where I'm going to get my next 'fix' (whatever that fix may be) is ALWAYS on my mind.

Yes, anyone who is/has been overweight has obviously overindulged on food and probably spent a good portion of there time thinking about food. But, there is a difference between overindulging and needing to eat everything in sight because it's the only way you'll feel better/right/numb/something.

The sooner it's accepted as being an addiction the sooner we can move on and get better. I'm too scared to talk to a doctor or a psychologist or anyone because when I've tried in the past it's been dismissed as nothing. But it controls every second of my life. Don't tell me it isn't real.
  • thepersonaboveyou
    Options
    ... I have chosen food over family and friends. I have chosen food over fuel for my car. I have chosen food over medication. I have driven far away to go to a supermarket where I run no risk of running into someone I know for food.

Food addiction and binge eating disorder are very real things.
    Reminds me of tobacco addiction. If it came down to groceries or cigarettes, cigarettes won. I finally kicked that addiction and got fat. Go figure.
  • JasonAxelrod
    JasonAxelrod Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to see a therapist for some time in order to help get my compulsive eating disorder under control. I've dealt with gambling addiction, which I was able to kick years ago, and the compulsions were very similar, mechanically, so I imagine that it translates across the concept of addiction regardless of the substance. We all struggle with different things, be they mental, emotional, or physical. Trying to say that one is worse than another or that one has it hard than someone else is ridiculous. The concept that because something is hard for one person or easy for one person and so it MUST be easy or hard for another person is completely ignorant. We are all different individuals with different ways of working through our issues, and what some people perceive as shortcomings or excuses can easily be inexperience or simply an individualistic pace that is actually working toward positive change.

I had my first binge-eating relapse a few days before my birthday, this week—the first in the four months that I've been losing my weight. I don't need someone else to tell me that it's real. I experienced it. I feel what I feel and I struggle with what I struggle with, and someone telling me that my issues aren't real isn't going to change that. It's nice to be able to connect with others who understand and can relate, though. Even silent empathy between two people in a similar situation (or different situations, even) can be meaningful support and influence that person positively.

I've lost 67 pounds. I have another 80 to go at least. I recently came below 300 pounds for the first time in almost 7 years, and my binge may have pushed me back above it, despite my promise to NEVER be over 300 again. Sure, in a few days i'll reason that out and I'll be okay with it. In the end, I'm going to move forward. Does that mean I can't express myself now, when I'm struggling, though? Absolutely not. It's okay to struggle. It's okay to hurt. It doesn't matter if it's addiction or an injury or anything else that affects our emotional morale. I'm not perfect and neither are any of you, and that's not an insult. It should be an expectancy. And I'm not going to put enough power in the words of a complete stranger (OR a loved one, for that matter) to completely dismiss how much I want this because of how my individual choices do not match up to someone else's personal criteria for what qualifies as dedication, desire, willpower, or anything else.

Have some pride in who you are and what you're doing. I know how shameful it can feel to even broach subjects like this, but I'm tired of being made to feel lesser because of it, and I won't any more. I hope that no one else does, either, regardless of what your personal addiction or other struggle might actually be.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I suffer from this and agree with this post. Sadly, people who don't suffer from it don't understand it and I just frustrated trying to explain it to them so I give up altogether. Sometimes I wished I had a drug/alcohol addiction (*I am not belittling the consequences or severity of these addictions and understand that they have drastic repercussions and is mentally agonizing too, but sometimes it is frustrating when people don't acknowledge food addiction) instead because then I could be forced to rehab and go cold turkey. You cannot go cold turkey on food (or so I did, aka anorexia). Thanks for posting OP.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Eating disorders are real. Bad habits are real. Each of us had to decide how we got overweight, what we have and how we will deal with it. There is no end to the amount of money spent inticing all people of all ages to eat food that we don't need.

I had a bad habit of eating emotionally, and not planning what i was going to eat. Logging my calories and getting on a plan to eat for fitness, not necessarily "fun" got me to my new goal weight and it is going to keep me there. I will log my calories the rest of my life. I don't trust any other method. ---for me ---
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    There is no food addiction. But go on, you'll help the attorneys get more $, along with big pharmacy.

LMAO. That is totally hilarious.

Attorneys are totally making billions upon billions of dollars by people being addicted to food. /sarcasm Tinfoil hats for everyone! LOL

An addiction to food is every bit as "real" as an addiction to any other drug.
  • williamgorby
    Options
    I have never really had to worry about my weight. I was one of those guys who could eat as much as I wanted without having to suffer the consequences. I’m now 42 and this is not the case anymore. I’m approximately 40 lbs overweight and it is a difficult thing to navigate. I suffer from shortness of breath, back pain, lack of physical motivation, not to mention the health risks. I am an addict in recovery 5 years clean and sober. I have spent a large portion of my life chasing one thing or another that would help me to disassociate. Food seems to be next on the list. This is difficult because I can’t abstain from eating. Think about it what if A pot luck was…… Any way here I am I’m going to give it a try. I like the peer support aspect as well as the accountability that is worked into this program. Ill approach this one meal at a time. The exercise will truly be a challenge. But I’m up for it. That’s my story, Im eager to see what the next chapter will be.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

No, it's not physically addictive in the same way as heroin. I'm not minimizing food addiction. But, the physical addiction is different (especially after decades of physical drug addiction and everything else that it involves and leads to).

I'm not saying that it is not physically or mentally or emotionally addictive (and again that is not something I understand personally), but the physical addiction is just a different type of physical addiction. And the outcomes are just different.

Again, please do research prior to making your assumptions. If you do not have this addiction, then there is absolutely no way you will understand what it does to your body.

I'm sorry if you took offense to what I said. But, perhaps you are misunderstanding me. I said that I have not experienced food addiction, but I have eaten food and sugar. So, that is why I know it is not physically addictive in the exact same way as drugs. Because all people do not become physically addicted in a destructive way to it. I did not say it is not an addiction or destructive or harmful or painful (for the people that are emotionally addicted to it, and in that way also in a physical way addicted since it is a physical experience). I said that it is physically different. And this is based on my own experience with science and watching addiction first hand (as well as educating myself on it). If you stop eating sugar, you will not have seizures. I ate sugar yesterday and I am not going to wake up a few months from now, weighing 80 pounds, being sex trafficked by my "fiance", almost dead, not recognizing my family. There is not even remotely a risk of that due to me eating a 500 calorie breakfast of only candy.

I'm not trying to be unsupportive. Just that not everyone that struggles with weight has the exact same issue and reason for it. And I was only responding to the stuff you were saying about a drug addiction being better than a food addiction. I'm sorry if I can not communicate this in a clear and good way. I'm trying, but it's challenging.

Perhaps comparing it to tobacco or caffeine would be a better comparison. Sugar is not a mind altering drug. So, there are differences.

And I am not even saying one is better or worse than the other. That is actually what I am not saying. I was just responding to you implying that drug addiction is better than food addiction because of the support. There is not so much support out there as you think there is. It's not an easy road.

And, as I said. I am here to listen and learn. But, that does not mean I will throw away some things I already know about science.

I completely agree and support that people can have disordered eating. Binge eating is probably the most common form of eating disorder.

Actually, you're wrong there. There is a plethora of research about the mind altering properties of refined sugars. They alter both the dopamine and serotonin pathways in the brain in animal and human studies. You simply need to do a Pubmed search.