Extremely overweight member needing help

2»

Replies

• vokesie
    vokesie Posts: 8
    The last 3/4 days I haven't filled it in due to a phone issue and not being by a computer but this is my daily food diary for a gym da

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/vokesie?date=2013-03-26

And for a non gym day

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/vokesie?date=2013-03-25
  • rmd135
    rmd135 Posts: 8
    Just wondering if you"ve had the opportunity to seek the help of another healthcare professional in your weight loss effort? I really concerned about the obvious lack of concern byyour own doctor. I just wanted you to know I haven't forgotten about you.:flowerforyou:
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Firstly, your doctor CANNOT refuse to treat you. We're not in an insurance type situation here, they don't get to choose what they do and do not treat. If you have an obesity related problem that is effecting your health, they MUST treat you. Just remember that. Also, if need be, go in and see a different doctor, you don't even have to change surgeries, just ask at reception for a different doctor.

Secondly, remember that this is a long term change, focus on composition rather than scale number. Building muscle won't harm your weight loss, not at your weight. Muscle burns more calories so will aid you in the long run. Even if you don't reach some magic number, the doctor will have to appreciate a change in your shape and body fat percentage, and if he doesn't - change doctors and complain about him, he shouldn't be advising patients if he can't appreciate the difference between fat and muscle.

It took me TWO years to lose 50lbs, some months I lost no weight at all, but you have to keep going, eventually, if you're doing the right things, the weight WILL come off, it has to. Make sure you're completely honest with your logging, log every bite you eat, every drink you drink and weigh out your food, it's amazing how much people overestimate their portion sizes. Watching your calories and exercising does work, remember that!
  • N0703989
    N0703989 Posts: 97 Member
    Nah dude, the aim is fat loss, not weight loss.

What you're doing is awesome.

True!

In my humble opinion your doctor was trying to keep it simple. You have to lose a lot of weight and he didn't want to make it more complicated than it needs to be. Eat less, move more and argue the toss about BMI versus Body fat % when you're a lot closer to goal. It's just a guess, but I think he was just spouting a scare tactic to get you to do something - anything than come back to him in 6 months with the onset of type two diabetes. Which of course he would have to treat....... after all it is the NHS
  • And to some extent I totally agree with you but sadly it's my dr that has stated that if I don't get down to my target weight I won't be treated because of my weight and will be considered as a obesity related illness

If your doctor actually said this, find a new doctor.

Good luck on your journey.

^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^ :flowerforyou:
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    11kg is great and you're doing very well! It's not going to come off quickly, and you don't want it too in the long run. And, your doc is right- getting the weight off IS important, but they are wrong in that it IS fat loss you want. You WANT to build muscle because that's how your body will burn fat and calories and get your metabolism in check for long-term success.

Be easy on yourself. You're doing great and you should feel that you're doing great! Don't let anyone make you feel that you aren't because that 70kg hasn't magically vanished a few weeks in. I've lost 26kg and it's taken me since last July. So breathe and keep doing what you're doing :)

PS- your doc is a schmuck for telling you he'd refuse to treat you. Also, I'm sure that's illegal.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    It's so true! Move more, eat less! Eat healthier. Lean meats, like fish and boneless, skinless chicken breast. No fried foods, no fast food, and get up and get moving. Doesn't matter what you do. I've recently realized how many calories I burn just being on my feet, cooking, cleaning, and playing with my kids, rather than parking it in front of a computer or TV. Of course walking, or some other sort of vigorous activity is needed too, atleast 30 min's/day, but if you need to, you can work up to it. Lots of fruits and veggies, eat often, 2-3 hours, but keep it healthy. Once you start to see a good deal of weight loss, you can OCCASIONALLY add SOME fried/fast foods. Look up healthy recipes online. There are some under the recipe topic in the forums also. Good luck!!!
  • Kathryn1019
    Kathryn1019 Posts: 13 Member
    A loss is a loss...weather it be fat or weight...keep up the great work and you'll reach your goal!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Keep doing the weights.

If you are eating at a deficit (which you are), then you won't gain significant muscle mass - maybe a little at first, especially because you're pretty overweight, but nothing that would affect your overall weight loss (number on the scale) by any significant amount: you cannot increase muscle mass significantly on a caloric deficit.

What weight training WILL do, however, is help you preserve your existing lean body mass so that you lose FAT not MUSCLE. You will enjoy the benefits of added strength (totally possible without actual muscle tissue gain) and a higher metabolism, as well as a more aesthetically pleasing result.

You and your doctor will both get the results you want, though I must agree with the others: your doctor is an *kitten*.

ETA: you may want to reconsider your calorie intake. Calculate your TDEE and aim for -20% or so of that. You may be eating too low for your current weight and exercise. (I'm much smaller than you and eat about 2000-2150/day).
  • CoachSamB
    CoachSamB Posts: 40 Member
    Absolutely agree with this. And just keep doing what you're doing. I get the doctor is a BMI freak, and that's fine, because if you keep doing what you're doing, the scales WILL go down. Just realize you have a long way to go. Look at your weight loss as a journey, not as a 15 minute to the store. You'll get there, and when your doctor begins to see the "new you" take shape, then even he will be a believer. If not, screw him. You won't be having any health problems then anyway and won't need him! :)

Just do it!
    Hello,

One thing my trainer told me to do is mix it up so my body doesn't get use to my exercise routine. Every two months I change my routine. Simple - as if your doing biceps with free weight change to cables. Just a different way of doing the same exercise.

Go to BodyBuilding.com, then click on workouts, pick your muscle target and WaLa!!!!
    It gives you all kinds of different ways to work that muscle.

I count up weight when I do weights, but I know some count down. I start with light and with each circuit do a little heavier weight. Men are suppose to push heaviest weight on last circuit to muscle fatigue I guess. At least that's what all the body builders at my gym told me.

Also goes for cardio, you need to change that up too.

Remember eating is 80% of the battle. I still struggle with it but day by day it gets better and it will for you too. Just keep going and don't look back!!!!!
  • Mugiwarah
    Mugiwarah Posts: 40
    Looking at the amount of exercise that you're doing, you are losing fat but gaining muscle weight, which is good and I want to say "kudo's" to you and keep up the awesome work!!!:happy:
    That's not right, one can only build 10 lbs of lean muscle a YEAR, therefor I think there's a miscalculation within your diet regarding your calories, 1st thing I'd do is find out what your maintenance calorie intake is (the amount of calories you get in without gaining or loosing any weight), then I'd subtract 300-500 calories from that amount, you should be good to go then.

Also I want to point out that you're exercises contain too much volume which is bad when only consuming 1500-1750 calories, your body might/or has gone catabolic which means it'll use muscle as fuel and store as much fat as possible.

Hope this helped, just wanted to share some of the knowledge and experience I've gained over the years I know what you're dealing with, goodluck brother!
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Get a second opinion what can it hurt? If they both say the same thing it may be for reasons we know nothing about. But FYI even if you are over weight listen to your body if you dont know how to do this research methods and learn how. i cant afford to go to a nutritionist or doctor so I have no choice but to ask a million questions and be VERY aware of whats going on within me.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Take it from a heavier person losing that if you can do those exercises now you should keep it up. You may want to lose weight more than anything, but if the weight you have left is muscle your metabolism will work better and faster, you will continue to be mobile and flexible and your body will be more compact. Muscle does not really weigh more. It is more compact that big fluffly fat. You are doing absolutely great, I would suggest tracking your measurements. You may be showing some loss there. I would also suggest you rid yourself of that creep of a Dr.
  • Don't focus on the pounds only and I know when we step on the sale we want to see the pounds down,we didn't put this weight on overnight so it's not going to come off over night. Three years ago I weighed 255lbs today I am 148, it's dedication, commitment, eating right, proper nutrition, and right mix of workouts that burn the fat,such as high intense interval training.

Never GIVE UP, you must see this journey as a lifestyle change and cannot do it for YOUR Doctor, you must do it for yourself and write down your why?? Keep up the great work, remember results are 80% nutrition and change up your routines and push yourself to your maximum.

If you need more inspiration and motivation and you are on facebook, you could friend request me. https://www.facebook.com/heidi.collins.39?ref=tn_tnmn

Heidi
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    I don't know how a doctor can live by the BMI guidelines so stringently. Something wrong there. Having said that, you don't seem to be getting enough calories for a man, especially given the exercise. It would be foolish to stop the weight lifting as it is clearly one of the best things you can do to build muscle which in turn helps your body burn calories more efficiently. I would continue with the weights. From what you said you are eating it doesn't appear you have near enough protein in your diet, but I'm only able to tell you what has worked for me. Best of luck!
  • gmms57
    gmms57 Posts: 23 Member
    I noticed that you do not drink much water. I'm trying for at least 8 glasses a day, also trying to keep away from too much processed food. Not easy changing old habits, but worth it.
    Best of luck to you!
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    I can't belive your doctor said he would refuse to treat you.

Anyways, no don't skip the weight training. More people should do it. As you gain muscle mass, you will burn more calories and hour, even on days and moments you don't work out. It raises your metabolism. Also, even though your weight loss might be slow now, it will come off, and you will have a toned body underneath! :)
  • dw098
    dw098 Posts: 4 Member
    Congratulations on what you've lost so far!

I'm wondering if you are using the charts to track the nutrients in addition to calories. My doctor tells me I won't lose weight if I don't limit my carbs.

As to motivation, l too, have had a hard time dedicating myself to diligent dieting. I'm back on (for the past 5 days) after a diagnosis of pre-diabetes.

Despite the questionable accuracy of the diagnosis, I've been testing my glucose levels 12 times a day for the past 4 days to see how I am processing foods. This helped me more happily manage hunger so as to get accurate readings. My plan is to create 3 menus for each meal which I am sure I process well and then only test occasionally. Managing blood glucose seems less frustrating than dealing with the scale I actually get a measurement that I control (I think). Carbohydrates are of major importance in controlling glucose levels.

Reading that pre-diabetics may eventually be subject to a number serious ailments has also helped. See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-sugar/MY01701 if you want a real scare. I find fear an excellent motivator, but I do enjoy creating meals to match up with all the nutrient values listed in the foods section.

You are welcome to view the meals I'm eating if you can figure out how to do it. One fact found out yesterday is that oatmeal causes a spike in glucose. Today I'm trying it with more protein and eating the protein first to see if that makes a difference of some posters suggest. The way glucose affects weight is complicated, but it's not necessary to understand all the details of cellular activity to reap benefits of knowing one's glucose levels. What I see is that I've been able to keep my calories AND carbs below the recommended for 5 days. I have a hard time making myself exercise, so I'll be working on that--somehow.

Keep going and you WILL succeed!