How accurate are you?

Options

Replies

• caseym87
    caseym87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The only things I don't weigh or measure are lettuce and spinach. I've been doing this for 2 months (well, on and off my whole life) and I still can't eyeball anything accurately.
  • Jedil
    Jedil Posts: 62
    Options
    At this point I mostly eyeball it.But I try to over estimate in calories as well, if its over 1/2 cup I will go to 3/4 I would rather overestimate than under. Starting out I weighed and measured everything. But it may be time to go there again to make sure everything is still on target. Thanks for the reminder.

It's as if I wrote this but didn't have to! LOL
  • jillebee44
    jillebee44 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    At this point I mostly eyeball it.But I try to over estimate in calories as well, if its over 1/2 cup I will go to 3/4 I would rather overestimate than under. Starting out I weighed and measured everything. But it may be time to go there again to make sure everything is still on target. Thanks for the reminder.

I completely to this! I over estimate my intake, and under estimate my workouts. I become too obsessed when I get on certain things (scales especially) even with food weighing. I become a mad woman, and I don't want to rely on it to the point I have an anxiety attack with out a scale around.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    278167714453961948_e0vhGMGY_f.jpg

You're welcome.

lol, I have tiny hands - I think that would be very out for me :laugh:

I weigh as much as I can, but not everything.
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i measure some stuff. i had too to see what exactly the measurement looked like. but i found this yesterday and it was pretty eye opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When I first started (back in December), I measured EVERYTHING!!! I still do to a certain extent... however, if I don't have my measuring spoons, measuring cups, scale, etc... I just eyeball... I've started eyeballing on things like ketchup, dressing, etc... I still pretty much measure, but I don't stress if I'm not able to measure it...
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I measure what I can (cereal, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc), read the package label for serving sizes (snacks) and eyeball meat, lol! I probably underestimate how much meat I eat, but it seems to be working ok so far.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    i measure some stuff. i had too to see what exactly the measurement looked like. but i found this yesterday and it was pretty eye opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
    This is why I NEVER use measuring cups or spoons. Always weigh.
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I over estimate food and completely under estimate exercise.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My husband and I weigh and measure everything.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I weigh for a lot of things and eyeball for others. I try to be fairly accurate.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I pretty much weigh everything that isn't pre-packaged. Eyeballing it doesn't work for me long term, let's just say that the portions gradually get more "optimistic". Weighing my food is easy and it helps me make sure that my macros are accurate.

The only issue is when I eat out, which I do love to do. In those situations, I just do the best I can and overestimate the calories a bit.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    the harder it is to measure, the less likely I am to measure it. If its cereal or a drink, these can easily be poured in a measuring cup, but things like peanut butter or yogurt... I just dont have the patience to scrape them out of whatever I use to measure them. I dont have a food scale so I cant measure things like cold cuts but try my best to divide them up by the weight on the package and number of slices. After measuring the same food over and over again, you get a pretty good idea of what an ounce or a half a cup looks like, but once in a while I will measure something I usually eyeball just to make sure my perceptions haven't been skewed.
  • johnnisays
    Options
    in march, i lost 10 lbs by just eating clean and "eyeing" my nutes (with working out). now that i have seen major progress, i took it up a notch. i weigh my food, measure my liquids and INPUT everything into MFP. i believe if i want my progress to be on point, my nutrition has to be on point.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I measure everything! But I am only 5 days in lol I am sure in a few months I will be able to eyeball things. At this point if I dont know how much a serving is I wont eat it.

I am 13 months in and still weigh and log every little thing. lol
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    When I got my food scale, I obsessively measured EVERYTHING. Now, I just weigh stuff that I don't want to overdo, like cheese, meats, potatoes, pita chips, etc. Everything else I just eyeball.

Unless I'm entering a recipe. Then, I'm pretty exact with weights and measurements.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options

You're welcome.

Awesome! Thank you!!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

You're welcome.

lol, I have tiny hands - I think that would be very out for me :laugh:

I have large hands for a woman, so this way of doing things always makes me laugh. My palm is a hell of a lot more than 3 oz. (I know this because I weigh my food whenever possible.)

#Man Hands
  • MeganKSchultz
    Options

You're welcome.

I don't think this is fair. i have really small hands!
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    bit of both