ACNE

Options
I am almost 23, and I still break out often. I would say my acne is on the moderate side, not horribly severe, but fairly bad. In highchool I broke out fairly often... tried all kinds of creams, facial washes, natural methods, supplements, etc. Nothing ever really (from what I could tell) made much of a difference. I then concluded that it was hormonal.... as I often broke out worse near the time my period was happening. At this current time in life, typically people's faces start to clear up, hormones level out, etc. But I feel like my skin is worse than ever.

I don't eat greasy food, try my best to keep sugar levels low in my food/drink consumption, eat lots of greens (kale, spinach) as well as carrots and other colorful vegetables, drink more than the recommended amount of water per day, excercise regularly, etc...

Long story short, has any particular changes to your diet, or any food you decided to incorporate into your diet, help clear up your skin? I have tried everything possible to help my skin-- besides going to a dermatologist because I DO NOT want a prescription. I want to keep a natural approach to this. No offense to anyone else, but prescriptions for acne have far too many side effects for my taste.

Replies

• jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you. I would constantly have 3-4 blemishes on my face at all time, especially on my chin.And my period only made it worse! Even when I started eating a 80/20 diet and drinking 8+ glasses of water a day I still had constant breakouts. I know you said you wanted to go natural but the only thing that has helped has been the Clinique 3 step acne system. I started noticing a difference in a week! It has completely changed my skin. You should check it out.
  • mykes13
    mykes13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I literally just saw someone talking about this on TV! They said using turmeric in your food is a natural deterrent and Greek yogurt adds a glow. I used to breakout after softball practice and weights until I started keeping facial cleansing wipes in my bag. It helped a lot!
  • Littlemissjackie1
    Littlemissjackie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I know you wanted to take a natural approach to combating acne but I have struggled with the same thing, and the only thing that helps me control my acne is birth control. The pill works best for me, if you are on birth control talk to your doctor to recommend a brand that can help you with that. My acne is very cystic as well, so it is extremely painful and leaves horrific scars. I started using Neutrogena Acne wash (the original orange one) and I can tell that is really making a big difference. Since I changed facial soaps I have only had one break out so far, and I know it was triggered due to PMS. Also make sure you exfoliate your skin often, I simply use the target brand make up remover wipes that have a beaded side. It seems to work quite fine. Days were I really need a scrub I use Saint Ive's green tea blemish scrub then I follow with a mud facial. I read that honey, baking soda, and greek yogurt (no combined) have acne fighting properties when used directly on the skin. Just do a little research and try a few things out to see what works for you.
  • frommichellewithlove
    frommichellewithlove Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking time and giving advice. guys!
  • pterradactyl
    Options
    My mom found that cutting out dairy really helped her skin.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Try restricting dairy and soy, they commonly contribute to hormonal acne. If that doesn't help I would go on BCPs. I know you don't want to take any prescriptions but its the only thing that helps sometimes because it regulates your hormones (if you find the right one). GL!
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree with the BCP. Also witch hazel toner (can be found at drug stores) seems to help me a lot, and a gentle face wash, I use purpose. The website Acne.org sells an AHA product that I also like for exfoliation. It is actually very common for breakouts to continue into the 30's but there is help :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    look into diy face masks and exfoliating. there are some really good ones on instructables dot com.

this is one I like
    rub your affected area with a slice of grape fruit (tons of other fruit can be used instead) or skip this step
    mix in the palm of your hand a teaspoon or more of honey and cinnamon
    then rub that on your face, back, where ever.

the other one I really like is honey and uncoated aspirin. make sure it's un coated.
    make a paste with 1 pill and honey in your palm

with either of these rub it around gently, avoiding the eyes
    and wash off as you would anything else.

I also find that using the honey helps to moisturize, i have a hard time finding a moisturizer that
    doesn't make me feel greasy or irritated.

either the aspirin or cinnamon help to exfoliate. they are dirt cheap.
    it takes me more than a year to use my aspirin, since i only use it for this.
    you can also use the aspirin mixed with whatever you like as a spot treatment
    just be careful about leaving it on too long, it can be very drying.

the aspirin has salicylic acid in it, commonly found in some of the more expensive acne products.
    it also helps with the inflammation.

I also found that putting also vera gel helps with the redness sometimes.

you can also find out more about glycolic treatments
    there are some that you can make with fruit.
    if you exfoliate and do the right treatment you
    can prevent any cysts, if that is an issue.
    remember your skin cells are on a 30 day or so cycle
    so make sure you're exfoliating at least a few times in that month.
    most say once a week, but your mileage may vary.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    also if you can find clay masks such as kaolin clay
    but any type will work
    they help to absorb the oil and it just
    seems to help clean it out a bit
    sometimes i used it as a spot treatment too
    and in the morning, it was smaller.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I am 26 and still break out. I, too, tried every topical remedy (seriously, if it existed, i probably tried it) - even tried an anti-biotic medication that I was severely allergic to, so i couldn't take that, either.

My skin is much better now, however and i only break out once a month. Some of the things I did that ended up helping was not using harsh cleansers - avoid cleansers that claim to exfoliate, especially. I know a lot of products market for exfoliating, but it can agitate your skin quite a lot and make acne much worse. When you wash your face with a gentle soap, don't scrub or rub it into your skin much. The skin on your face is very sensitive. I also moisturize twice a day since sometimes breakouts can occur because your skin creates excess oil due to being too dry.

I do drink a lot more water now, as well. You said you drink enough, so that might not be the problem, but definitely stick to drinking lots of water anyway.

And lastly, I did go on the BC pill. It has regulated my hormones and now, when I do break out, it isn't as bad and it much more manageable.

Everyone is different. I'm not saying what works for me will work for you, but if you haven't tried these things, it couldn't hurt. c:
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have moderate acne and NOTHING I eat or product I've used has helped... Except tanning. Crazy, I know but whenever I tan, my face clears up and stays clear.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    i'm in my 30's i'm probably going to have it till i'm a hundred.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    VITAMIN A!!! Break the pills...put the oil directly on your face and wash off. I was the exact same way.

Clearasil is pretty awesome too.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    i wish Clearasil worked for me, benzoil peroxide doesn't really do anything. just dries me out.
  • DopeyDudleyDursley
    Options
    Water. Green Tea. Water. Rinse Repeat. Really these anti-oxidants and keeping your body hydrated are 2 of the greatest things you can do for your skin.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Well I'm definitely pro prescription topical (not pills so much), but the one natural that ever kind of worked for me was bee propolis, which I used travelling years ago. Can't recommend a brand, only saw it there. It's supposed to have antibacterial properties, and did actually work on cuts too.

BUT it stained my skin yellow and was hard to take off without using a few cycles of oil and then soap.

Tea tree oil is crap.

I will vouch for the aspirin mask, that worked to calm & settle my skin for a while (found it dulling longer term, but I used it maybe too often).
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I figured out milk triggers my acne so its out and I rarely get any so now I can just use a regular cleanser daily. No expensive treatment has worked as well Sa dumping dairy. Of course, this doesn't apply for everyone.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I tried everything under the sun other than prescriptions to cure my acne. BC, diet changes, OTC cleansers of every variety, proactive, stupid little things like changing pillowcases every other day (which is actually a good idea.) but nothing ever worked. My doctor finally prescribed me low dose retin-a (generic) cream and low dose antibiotic twice a day. I use it at night all over my face since I break out with cystic acne everywhere, it was so bad when I went to the doctor about it a couple of years ago.

I had cystic zits nearly the size of dimes that were clustering together in 2s and 3s, so painful and they always left deep pit scars. But yeah, I know it's not natural but I use that at night along with washing my face gently with Avon blackhead clearing facial cleanser. It works very well as long as I keep up with the regiment properly. Also not eating a lot of greasy foods and trying to keep stress away helps me. I find if I slack in any of these things I do occasionally get a few very small pimples, once in a while maybe a cystic one. But I haven't had any horrible ones since the retin-a started working. It takes several weeks before seeing results, and really dries out your skin so I have to buy some pretty expensive lotion to use with it, and I also use Chapstick Moisture (Original) all the time to keep my lips from drying out. If you use the retin-a near your eyes, nostrils, or lips, the skin dries out really bad and gets raw / painful / chapped.

Olay makes the only lotion I've ever been able to use that doesn't make the acne worse. It's Olay Complete all day moisturizer with sunscreen (SPF 15) for sensitive skin. Make sure whatever you use on your face is noncomedogenic. (Won't clog pores.) And never ever scrub your face!!! It makes acne so much worse... :( I do hope you can find a natural remedy, but I wanted to share my experience with you in case you change your mind, since it does work for some people like myself. Good luck to you! :heart:

I know this is already a really long post, but I wanted to add that there was a man who wrote a book about acne (sorry I can't remember the name.) but said there was a key to preventing it that had to do with the body's waking and sleeping cycles. Basically, it's best to sleep and wake with the setting and rising sun, or at least close to it. So, staying up late at night is really bad and can cause acne to become much, much worse, particularly if you spend that time looking at a computer screen, which I used to do nearly every night. This is supposedly because, when we are looking at a computer screen, doing whatever, our minds are focused intensely on it. The mind numbing zombification, as some might call electronic forms of entertainment, causes some parts of our brains to shut down or stop working as hard so that they can focus more strongly on the pleasure and reward that the computer screen is providing. This is what causes our body's natural defenses to things like acne flare-ups to decrease and stop trying so hard, basically, or at least that is how I've worked it out in my own head.

I try not to do it at all now, but it can't always be avoided. Like right now, it's after 4am, and I'm on the laptop. My skin definitely suffers when I don't sleep well or at normal hours. So I just wanted to add that, you could always try changing your sleep schedule and making it more consistent, just to see if it helps. :)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I really do feel for you, I had terrible skin. Never in my teens but in my 20's I just seemed to break out. All along my jawline, so painful and sore.

I tried absolutely everything and the only thing that worked for me was birth control. I took Dianette for a couple of years which was amazing, gave me the clearest skin. But there were some risks linked to it so could only take it so long and I had to switch. I took the mini pill Cerazette for a couple of years, which wasn't as good but would keep it mostly under control.

I've now come off the pill as we found out my sister is going through the menopause (at 35) and she and hubby have been trying for a baby for years, so I am donating my eggs to them for their IVF treatment. So I have had to come off the pill and I was worried but so far it isn't so bad. A few around my jaw and chin at my period but then the rest of the time they are ok. Oh and I am 31yrs old.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I used to have severe acne and now just a pimple at that time of the month. I am 24.
    What worked for me was:

Food wise: cut out dairy, drink lots of water.

Skin routine wise: use products that are hypoallergenic and not harsh at all. Seriously this helps. Also, I use a product with salicylic acid and glycolic acid in the mornings and a product with hylaruronic acid in the evenings (vichy normaderm purifying cleansing gel + vichy normaderm hydrating care in the mornings and a gentle hypoallergenic face wipe + vichy retinol night cream at night, to be more specific). Using really gentle stuff and not too many different products has really helped my skin clear up and look much healthier.
    I went to an acne clinic, who recommended I use hypoallergenic stuff and salicylic and glycolic acid in the morning and hyaluronic acid at night. Don't use benzoylperoxide. That just ruins your skin.

Meds: get birth control. Seriously, this is the only thing that will really help with hormonal acne.

Other things: get some sunshine and fresh air. A lot of acne comes from just being indoors too much. Off course, if you're spending a lot of time outside do use a (non greasy) sunscreen.
    Wash your beds sheets and towels regularly.
    Get into the habit of rarely touching your face. I noticed I used to touch my face all the time and anywhere I touched my face a lot, I would break out. For instance, when I was reading or writing at a desk, I would rest my head on my hand and where I always touched my face, I would be covered in acne. Pay attention to this and if you notice you do it too, teach yourself not to.