high protein = high fat !

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    fish and nuts may be high in fat but it is a good fat that helps increase the good colesterol. fats are not equal--look to increasse monounsaturated fats over saturated fats

in what world are fish high in fat??
  • terrib1980
    terrib1980 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I aim for 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein and I have been losing weight consistently at around 1lb per week for the last couple of months. Carbs are not evil.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    fish and nuts may be high in fat but it is a good fat that helps increase the good colesterol. fats are not equal--look to increasse monounsaturated fats over saturated fats

You can get some high fat content in salmon, like around 20 grams in a 5 ounce serving. I consider that a good thing.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    EAT THE FAT, TINA!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    All fats are NOT created equal. I have awesome hair and nails thanks to the good fats. Eat them. :wink:
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Reduced or fat free yogurt, cheese--dairy in general.
    Tofu, tempeh, quinoa, barley to name a few things.
    Protein powder can help too-good protein/fat ratio there.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I aim for 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein and I have been losing weight consistently at around 1lb per week for the last couple of months. Carbs are not evil.

That seems to work for you - great! For me, eating 20-30% carbs and splitting the rest between protein and fat means that I feel satisfied.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    low fat cottage cheese, low fat greek yogurt, low fat milk, high protien granolas

Fats aren't bad - when the industry makes something low fat, they almost always add sugars and other crap carbs to make the foods palatable. Granola is not good, look at the ingredients. Greek yogurt with "fruits" are so much added sugars! Protein bars are not great either since they too are added sugars and carbs, although they are better than candy.

Lean proteins - meats, FISH, eggs, some cheese - it's all good for you and if you are lifting heavy weights you should eat at least 1gm of lean protein for every pound of lean body weight. I actually shoot for 150gm of protein each day.

ETA: You don't have to follow MFP macros, you can customize them to suit your nutritional needs.

QFT. Fat is delicious and satisfying and you should eat it.
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Most vegetarian proteins have no fat or very lttle fat.

Totally agree with this, veg protein all the way!
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    All fats are not the same. I try to stay away from trans fats and saturated fats, but try to get plenty of poly/monounsaturated. Salmon, avocados, lean meat, nuts all have healthy fats (plus a lot of other foods, but those are just off the top of my head.) Keep in mind what kind of fat you're eating. I'm upping my protein as well and I rarely ever get any saturated or trans fat in my diet. I say rarely, but not never because I usually do end up having something during the day with a few grams in it.
  • runner_gurl76
    runner_gurl76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    low fat cottage cheese, low fat greek yogurt, low fat milk, high protien granolas

Fats aren't bad - when the industry makes something low fat, they almost always add sugars and other crap carbs to make the foods palatable. Granola is not good, look at the ingredients. Greek yogurt with "fruits" are so much added sugars! Protein bars are not great either since they too are added sugars and carbs, although they are better than candy.

Lean proteins - meats, FISH, eggs, some cheese - it's all good for you and if you are lifting heavy weights you should eat at least 1gm of lean protein for every pound of lean body weight. I actually shoot for 150gm of protein each day.

ETA: You don't have to follow MFP macros, you can customize them to suit your nutritional needs.

THIS is some of the best advice....people need to educate themselves about the myth that fat is bad for you.
    Eat fat so your body won't hold on to the fat you do have for dear life. Eat fat = lose fat.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Most vegetarian proteins have no fat or very lttle fat.

Totally agree with this, veg protein all the way!

But you usually get a bunch of carbs with it, like in beans and grains, so unless you plan to just eat tofu and TVP, you can expect your calorie requirements to be higher to get the same amount of protein than they would be if you ate lean meat. And if you decide to eat tofu, because it's low fat, you'd still get more protein and less fat eating most fish.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You can get some high fat content in salmon, like around 20 grams in a 5 ounce serving. I consider that a good thing.

I guess it really depends on if you eat wild or farmed

(but yes, agreed that the fat is a good thing)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Try going to this website: ViSalus.com. The base product is a meal replacement shakes. There the healthiest shake out there and they are surprisingly delicious and very filling! If you can imagine the same taste that vanilla cream cake mix is, this is your base flavor. I have a hard time eating breakfast....so I usually have one of these.

yes. don't eat real food. eat a vanilla cream cake mix shake...... bound to be better for you.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Unless you're eating some pretty funky salmon, 5oz is typically around 10g of fat, except for farmed which is slightly higher (12-15g)... but I prefer wild.

The general rule of thumb is the colder water the fish lives in, the higher the fat content. Even high-fat content fish such as herring, mackerel, sardines, etc., aren't all that high-fat, depending on your definition of "high fat". The highest fat fish we consume is normally about 50% fat by caloric content, depending on the fish.

On the other hand, take a ribeye steak, even trimmed of fat, and you're still eating about 70% fat by caloric content.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    I agree - fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs make you fat.

wrong
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    whenever I try to increase my protein intake, my fat intake rises as well ! when I eat fish, meat, eggs fat percentage gets out of control ...
    how can I increase my protein intake up to 30% while keeping fat intake below 25% ?

and what's a healthy ratio anyways ? is it bad if my diet is high in fats ?

I don't understand where the fat is coming from. Egg whites have the majority of the protein and almost no fat. A full can of tuna has 1g of fat or less.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Try going to this website: ViSalus.com. The base product is a meal replacement shakes. There the healthiest shake out there and they are surprisingly delicious and very filling! If you can imagine the same taste that vanilla cream cake mix is, this is your base flavor. I have a hard time eating breakfast....so I usually have one of these.
    yes. don't eat real food. eat a vanilla cream cake mix shake...... bound to be better for you.
    I just had a look at the nutritional information on those shakes, and they're just a low-fat calorie-restricted diet product. The biggest problem is they don't contain enough dietary fat to properly regulate hormones in a human being... Scary, not healthy.
  • lithezebra
    Options

Unless you're eating some pretty funky salmon, 5oz is typically around 10g of fat, except for farmed which is slightly higher (12-15g)... but I prefer wild.

The general rule of thumb is the colder water the fish lives in, the higher the fat content. Even high-fat content fish such as herring, mackerel, sardines, etc., aren't all that high-fat, depending on your definition of "high fat". The highest fat fish we consume is normally about 50% fat by caloric content, depending on the fish.

On the other hand, take a ribeye steak, even trimmed of fat, and you're still eating about 70% fat by caloric content.

I don't eat salmon that is funky. I'm on the west coast, and we get a lot of options in wild salmon. Coho is lower in fat. Chinook is higher, and more delicious.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options

I don't eat salmon that is funky. I'm on the west coast, and we get a lot of options in wild salmon. Coho is lower in fat. Chinook is higher, and more delicious.

LOL I did not mean to start a fat in fish discussion. My focus was originally on nuts and howhe fat in nuts is a good fat. Throwing fish in there was an afterthought. That said, I am from Michigan where cold water salmon isthe most common fresh fish.