Marriage Proposal - A question for the men out there.

Options

Replies

• CoachTommyB
    Options
    I recently proposed like two months ago. If she would have asked me before i was planning on proposing it would have scared me a bit. However, if she would have asked while i was in the planning stage i would have said yes most likely. I was in a relationship for six years and never had the urge to marry this girl. The we broke up and now I.m with someone else and it didn't take me long to know we had something special and i wanted to spend the rest of my life with her... still took me almost two year to propose.. haha I wanted to be in a better financial place before I proposed. But I think its in important to have the thought of marriage come from himself and not pressures from others, and it can take us guys a long time before we come to that conclusion as we can take a long time for us to mature, sorry thats just how are.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Are you going to ask his mother for permission first?

Are you going to let him make the final decision on the colors for the wedding, cake, date, dinner items, guest list how many groomsmen he gets to have, etc?

If so, then ok.

Yay. That made me smile.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    If you are even considering doing this, I have to assume it wouldn't be out of character for or out of character for your relationship. We don't know you, or your partner, and can only hazard a guess, or describe our own views/experiences (which may or may not relate to your situation).

Would it bother your boyfriend? That is, does he subscribe to traditional male roles? Does he insist on paying for dinner every time? How does he feel when you pick up the check? How does he feel when you take charge, make plans, etc.? His reactions to those things might give you some insight. If he is holding onto a specific idea of a marriage proposal (maybe he really wants to get on one knee, hide a ring in a waffle, etc.) it might bother him if you "steal his thunder." But if he's not very forward, it's possible he's just waiting, right?

Another option might just be talking to him about it, saying you would like to get married when you hit your goal. Have you guys talked about marriage at all? Is it something you both see in your future, and the discussions just haven't gotten serious and specific? Or will this be something completely out of the blue?

To simply answer your question in the OP, I would have been surprised, but I don't think I would have been bothered by it if my wife asked me. Though, if we hadn't already talked about the idea of marriage, and the question came out of nowhere, I might have had some concern.
  • ottovonOstrovo
    Options
    Why bother, in Quebec they live together forever as if married. It would be what i would prefer. No state, no gods just each other!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think the man has to ask it otherwise they won't feel like they conquered you. More chance they will cheat I think if they feel trapped into something they didn't go after. Yes I'm old fashioned I guess.
  • ottovonOstrovo
    Options
    Why bother, in Quebec they live together forever as if married. It would be what i would prefer. No state, no gods just each other!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If my daughter asked me this question, my answer would be "Are you ready to move out and find another relationship if he says no? In that case, the answer is all-engines-forward." There comes a time in every relationship when one needs to fish or cut bait.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I think the man has to ask it otherwise they won't feel like they conquered you. More chance they will cheat I think if they feel trapped into something they didn't go after. Yes I'm old fashioned I guess.

Eh? Or he could do something really crazy and say "No".
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

*game mode*
    *gets proposed to*
    *cheat++*
    lolwut?

By that logic do you think mostly women cheat because they are the ones feeling trapped into something they didn't go after?
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    the man need to propose to the lady that is his job.
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    I'd run far away.

why?

It doesn't matter why. Just the fact that he said that, there's your answer. Imagine if men started asking us why we do or feel most of the things we do. They don't. They just nod and accept it as one more obstacle to getting in our pants. You should view this the same way with your goal as being getting that marriage certificate. It's not manipulation. It's acceptance.
    I think your diet needs more chocolate.
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    What is up with the chocolate-related usernames in this thread? Chocolate is uplifting, enlightening and happy making!! :flowerforyou:

More than old fashioned, your assessment had me imagining the man in question donning feathers and worried about the next kill to feed the village.

What about when the king from faraway city arranges the marriage?
  • sweatinglikeafatlass
    Options
    I think, reach your goal for you. Book a holiday to Mauritius, forget about the marriage, you can be as close living as a married couple, and the money you save will pay for a new wardrobe of clothes for both of you, a funky sports car. Or just more holidays for you and the man you love..
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When I proposed to my wife, I was fairly certain what the answer would be.

You mean when you blurted out that you were planning on surprising me with a proposal at Christmas? :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • sugardaddy0331
    Options
    I'm not mostly a man

:noway:

ROFL - you are too funny!
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i'd prefer to be proposed to...but it 'is' 2013 and women are taking charge in every other aspect of life...why not relationships as well?

as far as me...i've been proposed to once, last year by my now-ex...and it was rather lacking in originality and creativity. i'll share it for LOL's...poor me :(

eikz6s.jpg
  • sugardaddy0331
    Options
    ....not only should you propose to him, he should take your last name and he should be the one that gets pregnant.

Harassment-role-reversal-smack-dat.gif?
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

as far as me...i've been proposed to once, last year by my now-ex...and it was rather lacking in originality and creativity. i'll share it for LOL's...poor me :(

eikz6s.jpg

If the manner of his proposal was more important than the man doing the proposing, well..... I can see why you are no longer together.

I think it's a sweet proposal.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am a supremely traditional man,down to set roles and everything. I would not mind if my girlfriend proposed to me. It would show me that she loves me, and I would appreciate it. I say if losing the weight gives you the confidence to do it right, go for it.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    ....not only should you propose to him, he should take your last name and he should be the one that gets pregnant.

Harassment-role-reversal-smack-dat.gif?

Lmao!