high protein = high fat !

Options

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Carbs make you fat, fat makes you fat...you're all wrong, what makes you fat is eating too much! :laugh:
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Fat is not necessarily a bad thing. If you want to find proteins with lower fats, or higher rates of "good" fat -- I use the scare quotes because I don't think we should talk about "good" and "bad" foods, but I digress -- then here are some things we use in our household. (I'm a flexitarian and my partner is a vegetarian)

Tofu
    Nuts
    Lentils
    Tempeh
    Seitan
    Beans
    Eggs (often just the whites, hardboiled)
    Hummus (which is a bean/legume based dish, of course)
    Yogurt
    Soy or almond milk
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Most vegetarian proteins have no fat or very lttle fat.

Ha, was going to suggest this. Planned out my food today and it comes to 114 grams of protein and just 35 grams of fat.

Hmm, when I think of vegetable proteins, I think of nuts and seeds, both of which are high in fats. What vegetable protein were you thinking of?

The bulk of my day's plant-based protein sources came from tofu (30g), pizza dough (22g), beans (12g), vegan chili (16g), and brown rice protein powder (30g).
  • menojy
    menojy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Most vegetarian proteins have no fat or very lttle fat.

Totally agree with this, veg protein all the way!

But you usually get a bunch of carbs with it, like in beans and grains, so unless you plan to just eat tofu and TVP, you can expect your calorie requirements to be higher to get the same amount of protein than they would be if you ate lean meat. And if you decide to eat tofu, because it's low fat, you'd still get more protein and less fat eating most fish.

this is another problem for me ... beans and legumes that are high in protein are much higher in carbs so when I eat them I end up with a bunch of unwanted carbs !
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Whey protein isolate
  • Beautifulsoull
    Options
    I agree with what others are saying. go with what others have suggested. Lean meats, eggs, nonfat yogurt. I still eat red meat but only once or twice a week. Most of the time its more of chicken and lean ground turkey.
  • menojy
    Options
    fish and nuts may be high in fat but it is a good fat that helps increase the good colesterol. fats are not equal--look to increasse monounsaturated fats over saturated fats

in what world are fish high in fat??

well the fish I eat must be crazy then ! :D
    I had one smoked herring the other day and MFP says it had 18 g of fat !
    a can of tuna was about 8 g
    100 g of lean beef / red meat had like 7 g of fat and I usually eat 200-250 g of meat when I have it for lunch
    2 eggs are about 16-18 g of fat

isn't that a lot of fat ??

for people who don't eat egg yolk what do you do with it ? throw it away ?
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    fish and nuts may be high in fat but it is a good fat that helps increase the good colesterol. fats are not equal--look to increasse monounsaturated fats over saturated fats

in what world are fish high in fat??

well the fish I eat must be crazy then ! :D
    I had one smoked herring the other day and MFP says it had 18 g of fat !
    a can of tuna was about 8 g
    100 g of lean meat had like 7 g of fat and I usually eat 200-250 g of meat when I have it for lunch
    2 eggs are about 16-18 g of fat

isn't that a lot of fat ??

for people who don't eat egg yolk what do you do with it ? through it away ?

But what kind of fat is it? Saturated, trans, poly, mono???

Also, you should read up on eggs. The yolks can actually help raise you HDL cholesterol (the good one.)
  • Beautifulsoull
    Options
    Not sure if you've answered this before, so if you have please forgive me.

How much are you going over on fat? and how often are you going over? Going over from time to time isn't going to bother you as long as its healthy fats. I may go over by 10 or 20 one day then the next few days I make sure I keep it low.
  • menojy
    Options

How much are you going over on fat? and how often are you going over? Going over from time to time isn't going to bother you as long as its healthy fats. I may go over by 10 or 20 one day then the next few days I make sure I keep it low.

to be honest I don't know what would be considered over .. is 30% over .. 50% ? I don't really know :sad:
  • Labrae90
    Labrae90 Posts: 36
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change. This isn't a *fad diet*.... are you going to cut the fats out of your lifestyle for the REST of your life? Same with the carbs.. I'm sorry, but when I started this journey I refused to *diet* again. Yes, I watch what I eat, but I don't throw food away that I love so much. I just cut it back! I'm totally not giving up my mayo, and I'm never giving up my white potatoes... and I'm sorry but I love chocolate and that is staying also. Hey... I lost 86 lbs last year and holy crap I'm reading some of the responses and why are you all making this so hard? MODERATION... why cut everything completely out? Why take out the yolk of an egg? I mean if you eat in moderation won't it all work out in the end? Oh yes, and EXERCISE. I don't know... I guess this is all too technical for me, but I never once cut out the foods I loved... I just cut back and exercised.... and I still eat things with fat in them.

::shrugs:: I think when you start complicating things is when you make it hard on yourself. Diets don 't last... cut back, exercise, and you'll succeed. Just keep moving!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It is not ideal to base your macro targets on a percentage.

I include nonfat milk, lean meats, whey protein, and most importantly, beef jerky to increase protein while keeping fat under control.
  • freakitude
    Options
    40/30/30 is hard but manageable once you know what to eat and what to avoid.

you just have to get little obsessive. observe nutrition labels on food items before you buy/consume them.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options

to be honest I don't know what would be considered over .. is 30% over .. 50% ? I don't really know :sad:

the question being asked is what number value is tthe red number at the bottom of your food diary under the fat column at the end of the day
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I eat 25-30% fat and protein, and 40-45% carbohydrates. Each macronutrient has a recommended range and there are also recommendations for how you put them together. There are extremes at either end. Here is an overview:

60% Carb, 15% protein, 25% fat - You'll see many endurance athletes eat this way. Many RD's/Nutritionists (not the same thing) recommend this because of the old adage that 'carbs give you energy' and 'protein stresses the kidneys.' Classic USDA recommendation.

50C/30P/20F- A moderate version of the previous. I have eaten this way in the past when I was doing endurance activities like mountain bike racing and lots of running. Similar but with higher protein for better muscle repair and conversion to glucose if necessary.

40C/30P/30F- This is also the Zone Diet. Lower carb for better insulin control, higher protein for muscle, higher fat to feel full. This is my personal preference.

40C/40P/20F- Lots of physique contestants use this in the off-season and it's part of the Burn the Fat, Keep the Muscle plan. High carbs and protein to maintain muscle, low fat so you'll burn body fat.

33/33/33- This is newer from what I've seen and it appears to be based off the idea that if you give your body equal parts everything, it will use what it needs and make the rest. Never tried it.

10-20C/50-60P/20-40F- Variations of low-carb, high-protein. The general idea is that you don't ever want both high carbs and fat; either high-fat or high-protein and low carb.

10C/30P/60F- Ketogenic diet. Discovered decades ago as a treatment for epilepsy in children and it resulted in rapid weight (not fat, but they didn't know that) loss. The idea is that you oxidize more fats when carbohydrates aren't present.

Anyway, there are as many variations as there are people. This is just a snapshot of what's commonly used. Feel free to message me if you would like any more info. I am not an RD but I'm almost done with a PhD studying metabolism and that's what I base my choices on.

eta: You can also take a look at my food diary to see what my proteins are.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 is hard but manageable once you know what to eat and what to avoid.

you just have to get little obsessive. observe nutrition labels on food items before you buy/consume them.

I find that ratio very doable. I just had pizza and a burger earlier today. I even cook with coconut oil (never more than a tbspn).

This is working well for me and my body fat is not increasing at all. It's slowly/gradually lowering with weight training and eating at MOD tdee. Not gaining weight either.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, chicken breast, Tilapia, turkey Breast, ground chicken and turkey....

This is me (except that I'm allergic to eggs). I find that it's very easy to get tons of protein without fat. You must be eating high fat animal protein sources. Healthy fats (generally from plant sources or fish) are good for you, but saturated fats (bacon, sausage, high fat cuts of beef, dairy etc.) are hard on your heart. Just choose leaner meats and you should be fine.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, chicken breast, Tilapia, turkey Breast, ground chicken and turkey....

^ that. And Tuna.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    40C/30P/30F- This is also the Zone Diet. Lower carb for better insulin control, higher protein for muscle, higher fat to feel full. This is my personal preference.

People don't undrstand the zone diet. it's 40/30/30 at EVERY MEAL, not per day. That's how the zone diet was designed. People do 40/30/30 all the time, and frankly... they do it wrong.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't do the Zone Diet. I was just mentioning its origins. I just like this, or 45C/30F/25P. That's where I feel the most full and energized throughout the day. I don't do the 40/30/30 at every meal.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Fat free Greek yogurt! Sooo much protein, and NO fat! And since Greek yogurt is so thick and creamy to begin with, the fat-free version does not lose that wonderful consistency.

Edit: And you shouldn`t be getting too much fat from lean meats such as skinless chicken and fish. And they have a lot of protein as well.