No Eating at Night?

Options

Replies

• Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My dinner is always around 8-9pm....I've eaten dinner as late as midnight. Doesn't affect my weight loss one bit.
  • step29kk
    step29kk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am good all week, but the question I have is for one I work 3rd shift on the weekends, and thats when I am all messed up...I dnt eat enough calories and I'm afraid to eat through the night and I'm starving..any suggestions
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people say not to eat at night, including my mom. But my doctor says the amount of calories are the same no matter what time you eat them. So if I still have calories left in my daily allowance and I happen to be hungry at night I will go ahead and eat something without feeling guilty about it.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    From what I've read, it makes no difference when you eat your calories. The most important thing is making sure you're not overeating or undereating as well as making sure you get enough physical activity. My fiance works 12hr rotating shifts which means for one week i'm awake from 1am-6pm then the next week i'm awake from 12-1pm until 6am. This results in both of us eating at night frequently. It hasn't affected us at all. I think what gives nighttime eating the bad reputation is that many people tend to overeat at night. It seems a lot easier to stuff your face during those late night movies, boredom, or whatnot. If you have self-control, I don't see where their would be a problem.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I save most of my cals for the evening. I do tend to stop at 9pm, cause that's when I often tend to 'run out' of calories and when I set that as a stop time I also force my brain to go 'ok I'm done eating now. No more need to think about food' so I don't keep thinking about food after my cals are gone.
    However if I have a good bit of cals left (maybe I was really busy that evening so didn't eat when I normally would) I will eat as late as I want.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I am good all week, but the question I have is for one I work 3rd shift on the weekends, and thats when I am all messed up...I dnt eat enough calories and I'm afraid to eat through the night and I'm starving..any suggestions

Eat when you are hungry. My neighbor is a nurse, and has a fluctuating schedule. She eats at all kinds of weird times. She says my night is her day...lol. Time is irrelevant when it comes to weight loss. As long as there is a deficit in your calories, you will lose weight.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Don't be an Otto.

Bob and Otto are the same weight and height. They both need a calorie deficit of 1000 calories to lose 2 lbs a week. Bob only eats at night and has a 1000 calorie deficit for every 24 hour period. Otto was told he should only eat in the morning withing an hour of waking up. Otto has a 500 calorie deficit. In two months who is going to lose more weight. Bob or Otto?
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Don't be an Otto.

Bob and Otto are the same weight and height. They both need a calorie deficit of 1000 calories to lose 2 lbs a week. Bob only eats at night and has a 1000 calorie deficit for every 24 hour period. Otto was told he should only eat in the morning withing an hour of waking up. Otto has a 500 calorie deficit. In two months who is going to lose more weight. Bob or Otto?

Huh? If they both eat the same amount of calories, they have the same deficit and will lose weight at the same rate.
    Why would eating in the morning mean otto only has a 500 cal deficit.
    If you're saying otto would end up eating more cause he feels like eating after he already ate all his cals in the morning, the same can happen for someone trying to eat all their cals in the evening. They may feel so hungry by the end of the day they binge more than they should.
    It all depends on HOW and WHEN a person does best eating their cals. Some are better off eating more earlier in the day and some (like me) prefer more cals in the evening.
  • SumanDash
    SumanDash Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to eat fruits like watermelon after you've had dinner?
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I eat until I go to sleep if I want to. Usually I want to. It doesn't seem to be a problem. If I'm wake I am using calories. if I'm asleep I'm using calories. Why would it matter what time they are eaten as long as they are on plan for the whole 24 hours? It doesn't make any sense unless there is some compelling reason-like heartburn or too many fluids make you get up to use the restroom in the middle of the night, or caffeine keeps you awake-something like that. If you're waking up hungry-they you need more food or better choices. Some kind of adjustment. It doesn't seem likely that it is "boredom" eating if you were asleep and woke up-but rather that your body wants more to eat.
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Is it okay to eat fruits like watermelon after you've had dinner?

If it fits in your cals, of course!
  • JustEsh
    JustEsh Posts: 2
    Options
    bump
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie limit, you can eat at any time of day. However, I notice that I tend to lose control at night, so I try to stick to one small snack after dinner.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that those saying it doesn't matter when you eat are those saying they can't go to sleep hungry, lol.

Why are these people so hungry before bed? Are they closet nighttime overeaters without regular daytime meals?

What would happen if they were denied food in the evening? Would they run amuck and lose all self-control?
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    I have noticed that those saying it doesn't matter when you eat are those saying they can't go to sleep hungry, lol.

Why are these people so hungry before bed? Are they closet nighttime overeaters without regular daytime meals?

What would happen if they were denied food in the evening? Would they run amuck and lose all self-control?

People do what works for them.
    I am rarely hungry during the day. And when I am busy, I don't even think about food. I'm rarely hungry in the evening either (in fact, I virtually am never hungry, I eat enough and eat at the times of day that work for me that I don't get any hunger pangs) but I have the time and desire to eat in the evenings so that's when I eat.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options

LMAO, I'm not a "closet" anything. I do IF so you're correct in assuming that I don't eat "regular daytime meals." I don't eat my first meal until 3 or 4 pm generally, so yes, if I don't have a nice huge meal before bed, I feel deprived and will probably binge.

I could ask the same thing of people who eat all day. Why do these people feel the need to stop eating so early in the day?? Are they closet huge breakfast eaters??'

lol man you do what works for you and the rest of us will do what works for us. Meal timing and size are a matter of preference and for the majority of people will have no impact on weight loss or overall health.
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I say eat whenever.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

We say it doesn't matter because IT DOESN'T MATTER.

No I don't personally "run a muck and lose all self control".

I just don't sleep very well and then I don't perform well at my job and training.

Not to mention at night there's certain "activities" which one needs to fuel up for.
  • monicamaz
    monicamaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after 7... but if I'm hungry I eat something light like a yogourt :)
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

We say it doesn't matter because IT DOESN'T MATTER.

No I don't personally "run a muck and lose all self control".

I just don't sleep very well and then I don't perform well at my job and training.

Not to mention at night there's certain "activities" which one needs to fuel up for.

QFT