Deadlines on weight loss? yes or no? lets debate.

Options

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It depends on the mindset. I set an aggressive goal to get to 17%BF... Will I do it? Maybe. Maybe not. It's good to have a goal no matter what. If I come close I'll be happy. If I don't, I can set the goal again, more reasonably and try, try again.

Also, it doesn't have to be a weight loss goal. Mine is a fat loss goal. You can set goals to be able to bench a certain weight by a certain date. Anything that is attainable and fun for you.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm with you.

I set goals, but, daily or weekly nutrition or fitness goals.

As my fitness level improves and my weight drops, I relish in the victories and know that eventually I'll reach my ultimate goal.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't do weightloss goals. I do have goals but they are things like doing 5 workouts a week, drinking enough water, hitting certain calories goals. Stuff that will change my habits.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It helps me to set a reasonable target date for my goals.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    It depends on the mindset. I set an aggressive goal to get to 17%BF... Will I do it? Maybe. Maybe not. It's good to have a goal no matter what. If I come close I'll be happy. If I don't, I can set the goal again, more reasonably and try, try again.

Also, it doesn't have to be a weight loss goal. Mine is a fat loss goal. You can set goals to be able to bench a certain weight by a certain date. Anything that is attainable and fun for you.

Ohh I am not against goals in general but I just do not do weight loss goals, from experience they lead to failure and failure multiplies for me. I have always been the type to stick to the things i am good at and have never been good with failure or rejection, but i am learning.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    OP, I'm with you.

I set goals, but, daily or weekly nutrition or fitness goals.

As my fitness level improves and my weight drops, I relish in the victories and know that eventually I'll reach my ultimate goal.

Agreed
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    I don't do weightloss goals. I do have goals but they are things like doing 5 workouts a week, drinking enough water, hitting certain calories goals. Stuff that will change my habits.

Yes, water was a big one for me as I hate it, always have. The only time i can drink plain water is while i am working out, lucky for me I found the hawaiian punch packets.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Setting goals for weight loss in a time frame causs me tobe counter productive. I would rather set workout goals
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Setting goals for weight loss in a time frame causs me tobe counter productive. I would rather set workout goals

I see a trend, most of the people with biggest weight losses that have posted on this, do not believe in weight loss goals, but do believe in fitness goals.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

I see a trend, most of the people with biggest weight losses that have posted on this, do not believe in weight loss goals, but do believe in fitness goals.

I've lost a large amount of weight for what I have to lose yet I set mini goals.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options

I've lost a large amount of weight for what I have to lose yet I set mini goals.

I said Most, LOL, sorry did not mean to exclude.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I actually lost a lot of weight and I set goals with deadlines, but it doesn't bother me if I don't meet them. I started at 260lbs, but when I started to use MFP on a regular basis (which wasn't till March 12) I was 218. So although my ticker says 12lbs, that is only the weight I lost since I started using this site.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I set goals but with no time limit.

Hell 10 of the 23 lbs i've lost have taken me a year to lose, but slow and steady the number goes down (or stays the same when stubborn) but does not go back up.

I'm almost at my second goal of 160, then I'll be working towards 150 but I have no idea how long that will take, as long as I keep getting stronger and losing BF% I'm good.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I originally began with a weightloss amount goal being 10kg without any specific time frame - more so 'as quickly as possible' attitude. Once I'd lost beyond that at 12kg 2-3 months I still wasn't that happy with the way I looked... I'm much happier another year later and weigh a similar amount, the only real difference is I have upped my weight training and work a lot harder and longer at gym, stick with a pretty good diet most of the time (but still enjoy food and life and celebrate and go overboard occasionally)!

My goals are now based on how I feel and look in the mirror. On how heavy I'm lifting, how my muscle mass and shape is Improving and looking and on how sore I am the next day after a workout as to if I worked hard enough. I figure if I'm working out hard and eating good most of the time that seems to be working for me and I'm pretty happy with this plan :-)

Ps I still jump on the scales every now and then to check in :-)
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    For the first time ever, I have been looking at this whole process not with specific deadlines or weight loss numbers in mind but rather with the goal being better overall fitness.

Have had plenty of times in the past where I set out to lose xx amount of pounds by such and such date.

On a few of those occasions had even been successful in reaching those milestones. The problem was, however, that I never did make it a lifestyle change and ended up re-gaining everything back over time once the "diet" period was over.

What's different now is that I'm not dieting. Instead I have been educating myself about learning proper portion control and making better eating choices in general but I do feel that I can have just about anything I want as long as I make it fit within my daily/weekly macros.

This has been a real help to me as the light-bulb has switched from the "want it, but can't have it now" mentality of past (failed) diets to a more sustainable long-term lifestyle change of "I can have it, but don't really want it right now" or "sure I can have it, but I'm gonna work my *kitten* off to have it fit in my macros today" mind-frame.

For the first time this feels like a long-term, sustainable change in lifestyle instead of a temporary diet with a weight loss deadline.

I do, of course, have some general ideas of where I'd like to be by the end of this year. Maybe I'll hit those milestones and maybe I will not.

The cool thing is, however, that I am now secure in the knowledge that as long as I keep on track with this lifestyle change then the desired weight loss will sort itself all out just fine in the long run as by-product of my overall improved health and physical well being.
  • maniesduchocolat
    maniesduchocolat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't use them , as I'm in no hurry to lose weight, but I can see how it can be an achievement to lose weight under a certain timeline, and I think is ok as long as failure only motivates you to try harder next time (and as long as they are realistic)
  • Marcidy
    Marcidy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to set really strict deadlines for weight loss and then set mini goals to reach them. I have found that taping the next pound to conquer on my bathroom mirror is way more motivating than missing a deadline! For example, if I weigh 170 i'll post 169 on my bathroom mirror and change it once I reach that goal!
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    I have a goal for around the end of June. If i make it i would be thrilled but if i dont i dont care because i feel so much better now and i know the last bit of weight is the hardest to take off. I dont think there is anything wrong with making a date its just you shouldnt let it rule ur whole weight loss. My goal is also a very high one meaning I am set to loose 10 pounds a month that is a lot but i have lost no less than that and actually a lot more and have been doing this since December. I expect it to start slowing down a lot now i will see:)
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    For the first time ever, I have been looking at this whole process not with specific deadlines or weight loss numbers in mind but rather with the goal being better overall fitness.

Have had plenty of times in the past where I set out to lose xx amount of pounds by such and such date.

On a few of those occasions had even been successful in reaching those milestones. The problem was, however, that I never did make it a lifestyle change and ended up re-gaining everything back over time once the "diet" period was over.

What's different now is that I'm not dieting. Instead I have been educating myself about learning proper portion control and making better eating choices in general but I do feel that I can have just about anything I want as long as I make it fit within my daily/weekly macros.

This has been a real help to me as the light-bulb has switched from the "want it, but can't have it now" mentality of past (failed) diets to a more sustainable long-term lifestyle change of "I can have it, but don't really want it right now" or "sure I can have it, but I'm gonna work my *kitten* off to have it fit in my macros today" mind-frame.

For the first time this feels like a long-term, sustainable change in lifestyle instead of a temporary diet with a weight loss deadline.

I do, of course, have some general ideas of where I'd like to be by the end of this year. Maybe I'll hit those milestones and maybe I will not.

The cool thing is, however, that I am now secure in the knowledge that as long as I keep on track with this lifestyle change then the desired weight loss will sort itself all out just fine in the long run as by-product of my overall improved health and physical well being.

Excellent post! It really is a great feeling, isn't it?
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I set goals and I would LIKE to lose these 40 pounds by New Year 2014, but I still am trying to figure out what works for my body and know it will probably take longer. Deadlines for weight loss always discourage me, so I set fitness goals. Sure, I would like to lose 15-20 lbs by summer, but I would like to re-finish C25K as well. Or last month I walked/ran 50 miles so this month I'd like to walk/run 60 miles. That way I know I'm putting in the work and it is up to me, not a finicky scale to determine how successful I am.

to use this as an example....

someone with this similar idea in mind, would do well in finding a local 5k that is about 4 months away and signing up for it. it'll make you put your money where your mouth is, and really push hard in training.

i mean, i hear about so many people that are stuck on one particular week of C25k and they can't get past it. well, knowing that in a few weeks or months you'll have a 5k to do, and don't want to finish poorly, so in gives them the extra motivation to get moving.

I did that the first time around. Due to injuries, I was only done with week 6 when my first 5K came around so my goal was to run the whole thing and I finished in 33 minutes, which is great for me! This time, unfortunately, I am working out my lungs after being sick last fall and it is harder to know how far I can push myself and how quickly. I know my body still remembers how to do it so that helps with the mental battle at least. Also, they don't let you know about 5Ks more than a month in advance (I live on a base on Okinawa) so I can't plan for that far out, but I do know I will sign up because I love running them :D