Daal recipe?

Options

Replies

• samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    sorry forgot to put in the red lentil dal link - here it is! http://www.welovethisbook.com/features/hugh-fearnley-whittingstalls-dahl
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    red lentils are my go to! Very quick, takes less than 10 minutes (for me on a gas burner anyway). Here, they like to smash it up with a rotator thingy, don't know english name for it? so its more soupy. My husband and I prefer not to do it though and have it much thicker, since we didn't have one of those things when we lived in Ireland.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    bump
  • janiecrake
    janiecrake Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump. Love Indian food, missing my Friday night curry!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Here's a really simple one I've made several times and really like: http://pinterest.com/pin/559290847444035690/
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Love me some lentils! :love:
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    If you can find an Indian market, you can pick up dal spice mix as well as different kinds of lentils. I like yellow lentils best. I also like starting with a mix then pumping up whichever spices I feel like. Always include a few whole chillis, garlic cloves and fresh curry leaves (if you can find them). You can also cut the butter down by half, and it's still tastey.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This is a family recipe for yellow daal. It may not be the same you tasted at the restaurant because that was probably Punjabi style daal, but it's another option. :)

Healthy Homemade Yellow Dal South Indian Style

I make this in a pressure cooker since it takes about 5-10 minutes. The longer way would be to make it in a pot. Can be eaten with bread, roti, rice or by itself. Its pretty filling too.

Makes 5 servings of 1 cup each
    Ingredients:
    1 cup Toor dal (split pigeon peas) soaked for an hour
    1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
    curry leaves
    1/2 cup chopped onions (optional)
    5-6 cloves garlic crushed
    3-4 Thai green chillies cut lengthwise whole
    Spices: turmeric 1/3 tsp, asafoetida/heeng 1/3 tsp (Optional. Can be found in any Indian store.), mustard seeds (they look like tiny black balls), jeera (cumin seeds)
    cilantro
    salt to taste
    4 cups water
    1 tsp sugar

The initial part is the same for a cooker or a pot... All the directions ahead can be performed in the pressure cooker too.

Heat the ghee in a pot. Add a pinch of mustard seeds with 2 fingers.
    When the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the onions and saute them till brown.
    Add the curry leaves, a pinch or 2 of cumin seeds, half a tsp turmeric and asafoetida/heeng and move around in the pot.
    Add the soaked dal and the water. Add to it the garlic, chillies and salt.

At this point:
    If you're using a pressure cooker, shut the lid and wait till it completes 4 whistles. Open after all the pressure has been released slowly. Add the cilantro and adjust salt accordingly and stir to mix and mash the boiled dal.

If you're making this in a pot, keep boiling till the dal is fully cooked. When you taste a piece of the dal, it should completely disintegrate without you having to chew it. Once it has boiled completely, add the cilantro and stir and adjust the salt.

Total calories = 803

Per 1 cup/serving:
    calories = 160
    Protein = 9gm
    carbs = 29gm
    fat = 2gm
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I've made this one after trying it at the Whole Life expo in Toronto. My kids LOVE it.

http://arayuma.blogspot.ca/2011/12/coconut-dahl-soup-recipe.html
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Dal Makhani/Kali dal

I've tried it out in the crockpot a few times and tested it till it came out right. I make this in a big quantity and freeze it in batches of 2 cups since it freezes well. This does take a long time so its always better to make a big batch.

Total calories: 1742
    Makes 15 cups
    Cals per serving/1 cup = 111!!!
    Per cup: carbs=16gm, fat=3gm, protein=5gm, fibre=3gm

Soak 1.25 cups whole Urad dal (sold as black lentil. Indian stores call it kali dal/urad dal) and 1/2 cup red kidney beans together for 8-9 hours or overnight.

Ingredients to put into crockpot together:

Soaked black and kidney beans
    3 cups diced tomatoes
    1 cup diced onions
    10 cloves of garlic + 3 tsp ginger both + a handful of cilantro all crushed together
    4-5 Thai chillies split lengthwise (add more or use less depending on how hot you want it)
    2 tbsp roasted cumin powder
    2 tbsp cilantro seed powder (available in Indian store as coriander powder/dhaniya powder)
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tsp salt
    about 5-6 cups water

Cook on high for 6-7 hours. Low for 8-10 hours.
    Put most of the contents of the crockpot in a food processor and paste-ify it and put it back in. This gives the dal a creamy texture.

Ingredients for Tadka/seasoning:
    3 tbsp butter (can put more but it won't make a noticeable difference unless u put like 4-5 tbsp and I can't make myself do that!)
    4 tbsp half and half cream
    1/2 tsp turmeric powder
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    2 tsp garam masala powder (can use more but I like to actually taste the ingredients rather than just the masala)

Heat the butter on the stove in a small pan and when it starts to sizzle, add the cumin seeds, turmeric powder, garam masala and the cream while constantly stirring. Heat it for a bit and add the whole mixture to the crockpot. Adjust salt according to taste. Throw in a handful of finely chopped cilantro for garnish.

Can be eaten with rice, bread, roti, nan or even just like that as a soup! It is unbelievably filling!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    There's an excellent cookbook called "5 Spices 50 Dishes" that serves as a gentle introduction to Indian cooking. One of the recipes in the book is an everyday yellow dal, and it is delicious. A more advanced cookbook is "How To Cook Indian" by Sanjeev Kapoor. That one has several dal recipes, and I've loved every one I've tried.
  • Mumbles83
    Mumbles83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe i use for Daal

Daal Base

100g Masoor Daal ( Red Lentils )
    100g Moong Dal ( Split Yellow Mung Beans )
    1.2 Litres Water
    1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric
    2 tsp Salt

Tadka

2 tsp Ghee
    2 Dried Red Chilies
    Pinch Asafoetida
    4 cloves of garlic ( Finely Chopped )
    1 onion ( Finely Chopped )
    1 Tomato ( Finely Chopped )
    2.5cm Fresh Ginger ( Chopped )
    2 green Chilies ( Chopped )
    1 tbsp Fresh Coriander ( Chopped )

Method

For the Daal Base

Wash the Red and Yellow Lentils and drain well, put in a pan with the water turmeric and salt, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes remove from heat and keep warm

For the Tadka
    heat the ghee in a pan add the whole red chilies, asafoetida, and cumin seeds allow them to crackle.
    Add the garlic, onion and saute over a medium heat until golden.
    Add the chili powder and cook for a minute
    Add the tomato and cook for 5 minutes
    Add the ginger, green chilies and coriander, then pour the mixture over the lentils

taste for seasoning !!
  • brittryan1017
    Options
    Omg! I have to try all of these! Bump
  • KauandMe
    KauandMe Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Lentils are my new favorite food. Bump!
  • Mumbles83
    Mumbles83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Black Daal

250g Black Urid Lentils ( soaked over night, at least 8 hours )
    2.5 Litres Water
    4 Tbsp Oil
    2 Black Cardamon Pods
    1 Green Cardamon Pod
    1 Bay Leaf
    1 tbsp Chopped Garlic
    1 1/2 Garlic-Ginger Paste
    1 tbsp Chili Powder
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    6 Tomatoes ( peeled, deseeded and chopped )

50g salted butter
    1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
    1 tsp garam masala
    1 tsp sugar
    4 tbsp single cream

Method

Daal Base

Bring Lentils and water to the boil and simmer for 45 mins to 1 hour ( until they are tender but not mushy )
    Heat the oil in a large pan and add the cardamons and bay leaf until the crackle add the garlic and stir until golden then add the ginger- garlic paste, saute for 3 - 4 minutes.
    Add chili powder, salt and tomato and cook for 5 minutes.
    Add the lentils and the cooking liquid to the pan and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until mashed and throughly incorporated into the mixture
    Add the buttera little at a time and keep stirring to prevent it separating.
    stir in the fenugreek leaves, garam masala, sugar and cream

check for seasoning !!
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    not really, there are different versions of ways to cook daal. a basic mung bean version was listed. There is also a black lentil daal called daal makhani which is popular at indian restaurants in the US, that tastes very different from basic yellow daal.

There is also masala daal (spiced daal), etc.
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    Lentil Daal is my specialty. It's what I'm known for. It's delicious and easy as heck to make, I can cook it in my sleep by now. I don't have time to put together my recipe at the moment (it's in my head), but I will try to post it here later tonight. :)
    I live on curry. Yum yum!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Buh-bump
  • kureiko
    kureiko Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Wow! So glad I checked back on this thread! Thank you all SO MUCH for the links and recipes! The one I had was a mixed Daal, but I'm pretty open.