Do you count Calories for your kids?

Options

Replies

• upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    By feeding them healthy foods, you are automatically training preferences into them.

When I was growing up, dessert at my house was strawberries. Whipped cream only sometimes. Delicious. In summer we got fresh carrots or peas from the garden, for treats. They tasted amazing. Cakes, never, except on birthdays. Meals were home-cooked meat and veg and potatoes or rice. We didn't have to finish our plates, no problem. We could have seconds, no problem. I don't remember gorging. I think it's because the meals were just basic food guide stuff, home-cooked, macros sort of naturally got hit.

In my teens, things changed, and I ate pizzas and burgers and stuff. But I didn't gain weight until my 20s as a side effect from meds, which threw everything out of whack. Until then, I had a natural appetite.

The main thing is, I am grateful I never developed a weird attitude to food. Still don't have that. I don't feel out of control or guilty or emotional about it or anything like that. I was exposed to healthy things early, so I like them. I feel for adults who have to force themselves to eat a salad.

I think teaching counting must make for a weird relationship with food. Ask people with kids who have type 1 diabetes, or my friend, who was put on a diet before kindergarten, and struggles with weight and guilt to this day.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    I just think that with the child obesity problem in America kids need way way more education about healthy eating. I was not suggesting limiting or stressing them about calories, but just informing and allowing them to see what was healthy and not. I wont always be there to help they make a healthy choice. I want my kids to be aware that between a yogurt and ice cream yogurt is more healthy and better calories.

This is a good thing to want to do, but I think you are maybe putting your own stuff onto your kids. Just give them healthy food to eat. Get them into gardening or cooking instead, that's way more fun.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    the gardening and cooking really can help, but even if they just help pick out the fruit and veggies trying a different kind each trip, or each time the season changes, trying new foods, it's a positive experience, they want to try it and learn more about it.
  • brownvs
    brownvs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Counting calories to meaning to lose weight? no. But I'm not sure that's what the initial poster meant.

My 6 year old knows that calories are a measure of energy. That calories come from food and are used up with activity. Like a battery. You need calories and nutrients to thrive. He often asks how much protein is in something he's eating or what vitamin a specific food item has. He even knows the basics of what those things do for our bodies. He recognizes that less nutrient-dense treats are reserved for when you have eaten an adequate amount of 'real food'. Once, we counted his calories and carbs and fats and protein and he thought reaching the goals was fun. He's thin, so it makes me happy that analyzing food gets him excited to EAT it!

I think this post is fantastic! I want to educate my kids in any way that i can.

What people posting on here generally don't seem to realize is that teaching your children what calories ARE as a "value-neutral" topic shouldn't mess anyone up. I imagine if you teach the concept of calories as something to observe (without passing judgment about consuming more or less of them) you will just make your kids smarter. I wouldn't teach them calories in a vacuum though - you teach them about calories, and vitamins, and minerals, and proteins, etc. All of the wonderful things that food does for you!! What an exciting thing to learn about. :)

If calorie counting is some horrible/traumatic restrictive experience for you, then please do NOT pass that on to your kids. If it's a matter of learning more about how your body works, then maybe you can...
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I wish my mom had taught me about healthier eating or calories or whatever. I knew what they were but not how much I should be eating so when I gained a bunch of weight, I didn't know how to eat healthy and lose weight so I developed an eating disorder. I plan to teach my kids good habits though I'm not sure how much I will get into calories with them.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    what is bad idea, are you even reading this topic? Teaching kids about healthy food and calories is bad?

Teaching kids about calories is an absolutely bloody awful idea, yes.

What do calories govern? Weight loss and weight gain. This has been proven countless times by the people on these forums who both drop body fat and build muscle mass eating whatever the hell they want in moderation. THAT is a lesson to teach kids. Enjoy all foods in moderation.
    But no, teaching kids how calories cause weight gain and loss will just cause a mass of eating disorders. Phuck that.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    I didn't read your entire post just the first few sentences. It reminded me of my friend. He told me in mexico his dad didn't let him eat sweets, he had to eat some vegetables like cucumbers with salt and lemon or fruit, he wasn't allowed to eat candy. Now he doesn't like sweets, he gives them to me :0)

Lol, lucky you!

& fair enough, it was a novel. (really bad one in need of an editor)
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    If they are not overweight then I don't think thats nessisary.............
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    How counts calories for their kids?

I don't personally but i have been considering it. I have been trying to teach them about healthy food choices though..the problem with counting calories is kids grow so fast and need to eat when they need to eat haha Also its hard ot put your kids on a "diet"

In my opinion, we should be taking lessons from our kids about intuitive eating, rather than teaching them how to have an unhealthy obsession about food, lol.

Seriously, the only reason why we need to count calories is to retrain ourselves how to eat healthy. But the goal is to be like a natural kid: follow our hunger and cravings (with healthy choices) so that our weight is self-regulating. I recommend the book "Intuitive Eating".
  • flower_chops
    flower_chops Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. As my children it is my job to educate them about food choices; healthy and otherwise. It is also my job to ensure they have a BALANCED DIET. Keeping tabs on eating ie calorie counting sounds very dangerous to me.
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Counting calories to meaning to lose weight? no. But I'm not sure that's what the initial poster meant.

My 6 year old knows that calories are a measure of energy. That calories come from food and are used up with activity. Like a battery. You need calories and nutrients to thrive. He often asks how much protein is in something he's eating or what vitamin a specific food item has. He even knows the basics of what those things do for our bodies. He recognizes that less nutrient-dense treats are reserved for when you have eaten an adequate amount of 'real food'. Once, we counted his calories and carbs and fats and protein and he thought reaching the goals was fun. He's thin, so it makes me happy that analyzing food gets him excited to EAT it!

I think this post is fantastic! I want to educate my kids in any way that i can.

What people posting on here generally don't seem to realize is that teaching your children what calories ARE as a "value-neutral" topic shouldn't mess anyone up. I imagine if you teach the concept of calories as something to observe (without passing judgment about consuming more or less of them) you will just make your kids smarter. I wouldn't teach them calories in a vacuum though - you teach them about calories, and vitamins, and minerals, and proteins, etc. All of the wonderful things that food does for you!! What an exciting thing to learn about. :)

If calorie counting is some horrible/traumatic restrictive experience for you, then please do NOT pass that on to your kids. If it's a matter of learning more about how your body works, then maybe you can...

I love this post as well. It was my exact reaction to this topic and it seems to be the minority here.

I'm not sure why people think that a child knowing about calories would lead to disordered eating. To me, calories aren't "good" or "bad"... they're just a unit of energy. Maybe that's my interest in science coming out? If I ever have children, I don't think I'd wait until they are teenagers to teach them about units of energy just as I wouldn't wait to teach them what vitamins are and why they are important for their bodies.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Ok, the ONLY reason any of us are on MFP is because we got seriously screwed up in our "programing" either as kids or young adults, and we over-eat and NOW have to count precisley in order to retrain our ways of thinking and to LOOSE the weight.

Children are blank slates AND not born overweight - so as a parent, there are things you can do to help them maintain a healthy lifestyle...this is your chance to "program" them correctly. Don't allow them to emotional eat (my 2 year old cried when the older sibs went with daddy to the store, so I said, "don't worry, we'll have a treat" AHHH I just taught her to emotional eat - now I don't do that) Don't reward them with food - kids are much more responsive to your time and attention and praise as a reward than to food (unless YOU already started that habit with them, in which case, it's time to slowly wean them...) also teach them self control! It's always fun to go to a party and have extra treats, but be watchful of them that they are just having ONE piece of cake or a couple candies, not bagfuls....if you teach these things to your children as you're just spending time with them, you don't have to burden them with counting calories and a hyper awarness of their image etc.

That's my two cents! :)
  • gemma77
    gemma77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Definitely not but my kids 'eat to survive' .... the sooner they can get down from the table to go out and play again the happier they are!! My kids are 5 and 9. I'm lucky in that they love fruit, salad and most veg (haven't quite won with Brussels sprouts yet!) and they eat healthy through their own choice. Of course they also have the odd sweet or chocolate treat but they are just as likely to ask for fruit salad as they are for ice cream. They go with what they fancy and they stop eating when full.

In terms of their weight, they are towards the lower end of their healthy weight range.

I could probably learn a lot from my kids' great relationship with food!
  • ximills
    ximills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ok, the ONLY reason any of us are on MFP is because we got seriously screwed up in our "programing" either as kids or young adults, and we over-eat and NOW have to count precisley in order to retrain our ways of thinking and to LOOSE the weight.

Not why I'm here at all! I joined MY FITNESS PAL. Monitoring my nutrients and intake ratios and exercise in order to facilitate improved FITNESS (and appearance, health/longevity and athletic performance). I have no weight loss or gain goals. I have strength and endurance goals though!
  • ximills
    ximills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not why I'm here at all! I joined MY FITNESS PAL. Monitoring my nutrients and intake ratios and exercise in order to facilitate improved FITNESS (and appearance, health/longevity and athletic performance). I have no weight loss or gain goals. I have strength and endurance goals though!
    That's incorrect, you said you're here for appearance, health and longevity. what does that have to do with strength and endurance goals?
    Incorrect? how?
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My kids? no they aren't overweight, I was just thinking as a teaching experience. Same as you might teach a 6 year old about spending and saving and giving money they receive as allowance for chores .

My kids know I log my diet. They know that some days logging reminds me to eat up if i have had a lot of big workouts in a row. We have done a lot of talking about fueling a car and having the right kind of food and the right amount of food. I tell them that calories are not good or bad...they just are...like gas is not good or bad it just is...but not enough and the car does not work and too much gas and you either have to carry it around in red cans or it spills all over the ground. Sometimes it is ok to eat treats and sometimes you need to eat fruits and veggies....
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    No, not at all! I have 5 children. My feeling on this is if you count their calories they will have more issues later on. It will just make things worse. Your healthy changes will help your kids. My kids know that at snack time we follow the serving size if it is cookies etc.. but if they are hungry before dinner a piece of fruit is okay. My kids know I will not buy pop tarts because it is loaded with junk. My kids will talk about certain foods having junk in them. It is about teaching them about healthy eating habits. It does not mean my kids eat no snacks because I buy them cookies etc.. but it is about trying to get healthier like I will buy whoo nus instead as it is not complete junk. We love ice cream at my house too!! But the kids will get it if you teach them!! Also have them exercise with them!! It is about changing the choices. Yesterday it was cold out, but I told them I wanted them to run in a circle in the house for 10 minutes to get some energy out. It's all about change the same as us right??
  • sevenbabies
    sevenbabies Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No but we do have a strong whole foods policy at home. Snacks are popcorn, fruit, veg, 1/2 sandwich, etc. cake, candy, etc are for a birthday, holiday, party, etc. I hope to teach them good choices not calorie counting.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    oh_hell_no.gif

Not only no but HELL NO, we set guidelines and watch what our kids eat but there is no way.
  • changejen2013
    Options
    I don't believe any child should be counting calories until they hit puberty. Once kids hit puberty, its not uncommon to gain a lot of weight due to all the growing and changes all at once. However, until the child hits puberty...just alter the diet such as cutting out sodas, limiting desserts, etc.

Include healthy meats, veggies, and fruits even as snacks. Switch out chips and other bad foods for popcorn or healthy nuts.
    Small changes will let them get more on the healthy track without altering their self-esteem or confidence.