Why is eating healthy so darn expensive?

Options

Replies

• Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    go thru your circulars and plan your menu for whats on sale. if u can get a great bargin on chicken stock up. hope that helps a lil
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I understand your pain. I spent 40 dollars on four bags of groceries today, just for myself for this week. It's frustrating. The economy makes it much easier for us to make unhealthy choices. Coupons are often for junk foods, but keep looking and you can find good deals. Even if you don't find coupons, sign up for mailed sales flyers and you can always choose which store has the best deals.

It doesn't necessarily get easier, but it becomes less frustrating in time.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've never seen coupons for unprocessed meats, seafood, FRESH vegetables and FRESH fruits.

coupons are mainly for processed items high in hidden sugars which i wouldnt necessarily consider healthy. just because something is packaged as low fat doesnt mean it's healthy.

besides that, couponing seems like a enormous time suck. if i have to spend hours a week cutting coupons, comparing pricing and running from this store to that store in an attempt to get the cheapest deal then it's really not worth the $100 i'd save since a)gas costs money and b)although my limited free time doesnt have a cash value, it's still valuable.

i agree with others who've noted that the amount you pay extra for good quality food more than makes up for doctors visits and prescriptions.

i'm single and i pay anywhere from $200-$300 a month on groceries. the higher amount is when i'm stocking up on staples that will last a long time like cashew butter, nuts, protein powder, frozen chicken thighs, ground turkey, seafood etc. for the fresh fruits and veggies you can save a lot by buying stuff when it's in season. you can also look for places that will deliver a box of fresh produce to you once a week or every 2 weeks. these are usually from local farmers in a coop so you can get good quality fresh items for cheaper than going to the grocery store.

it also helps to make menus before hand and make meals making the most of what you will be buying so that things dont go bad.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    lets just say chicken salmon and veggies cost a crap load more than pasta and pizza crusts :(

true, but those things also contain a lot more nutrition, so you get more for your money. If you look at it simple in terms of price per ounce, then definitely, pasta and pizza is a bargain; but filling my belly isn't the same as taking care of my nutritional needs. For me, when my nutritional needs are met, I have a much easier time staying in control of my eating, my body feels satisfied.

So true! I find when I eat more whole food I eat much less. If eat any kind of processed food like frozen pizza it triggers me to eat poorly and in quantity. I have a very hard time coming back from eating the cheap processed stuff. I was convinced that I was a compulsive binge eater, which I suppose was true, but it took a little while before I realized what was triggering the binges. I eliminated the crap, and suddenly I was in control again.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Beans. Whole grain rice. Lentils. Oatmeal. Vegetables and fruits in season, on sale. Less meat, or even no meat. Eggs are usually a good buy. Don't let the yogurt fool you -- it is full of sugar, often almost as much as a candy bar!

You need to come up with recipes for the cheaper ingredients. Cabbage is usually a really good buy, and so are carrots. Try making some rice and cheap vegetable stir fries, homemade soups and homemade bean dishes. One of my favorites is something I call Lentil Cabbage Casserole. Cook up about a half cup each of lentils and brown rice, mix them together, then chop up one medium cabbage and two onions, steam them for about four or five minutes. Mix them all together with a little butter, salt, and enough pepper to see flecks of it and to get a kind of warm taste. Dinner for four, for just a few bucks!

Plan your week's menus around what fresh produce is on a good sale that week.

I have found that coupons are for processed foods that I wouldn't choose to eat. They are over-priced, too.
  • raeraebeau
    Options
    I didn't think of that because no dr has ever told me to lose weight. At this point Im doing it to look better but you are right
    End result:
    Cheaper than medication for weight-related health issues.

I was paying upward of $400 a month in medication for diabetes prior to my weightloss.

This! Think of all the future medical costs you can avoid because of a healthy diet.
  • Mig_oh
    Mig_oh Posts: 11
    Options
    tell me about it...four bottles of coconut water costs 18 bucks in cosco -___-
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    haha it completely depends where you're from. I spend over 600$/month for my boyfriend and myself. Nothing is cheap where I'm from. Damn Island.

Well, potatoes are dirt cheap..
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I understand your pain. I spent 40 dollars on four bags of groceries today, just for myself for this week. It's frustrating. The economy makes it much easier for us to make unhealthy choices. Coupons are often for junk foods, but keep looking and you can find good deals. Even if you don't find coupons, sign up for mailed sales flyers and you can always choose which store has the best deals.

This is about what I spend a week on myself. Bread, eggs, bacon, lunch meat, fruit, vegetables, chicken and popcorn is basically my list every week, with variables depending on what I feel like.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Good Thinking being more health concious. But, Wow, that is a lot. I think swapping 5 things for healthier options is a good start and it won't break the bank. GL. :smile:
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I went grocery shopping for myself my husband and two kids today. Just for today though Friday food cost about $170! I usually spend $100 but I started healthy eating today and counting calories and lets just say chicken salmon and veggies cost a crap load more than pasta and pizza crusts :(

That's actually not that bad. My wife and I have 3 kids. It's typically $200/week for our groceries. Though we've started buying in bulk for chicken, frozen veggies and other items (oatmeal, granola, eggs etc). That's saved us a lot of money especially when you wait for the sales and use coupons. The chicken we get lasts for almost 2 weeks (we freeze it) and the veggies we always measure out the serving size listed on the bag. We know how much our kids eat and by simply measuring out our servings for each meal we don't waste any. If someone is a little hungrier we have fruit or nuts for a quick snack.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Kroger many times has their bags of frozen veggies 10 for 10. A big tub of salad greens goes a long way. The off brand oatmeal is fairly inexpensive. With kids, you definitely need the pb, bread and milk. Like the other poster said, you can usually find the big bags of chicken breasts on sale. Same with tilapia fillets. Pork loins are very reasonable around here....and you can get a few meals out of one. Not the healthiest of the meats, but you can find fairly lean ones, slice them and grill/broil a lot of the fat out. Get your fruit in season....hopefully now we're into spring the prices will come down. Farmer's markets are a great place to get fruits and veggies at a reasonable price. You'll have to watch for sales on the expensive stuff like salmon and beef so buy them in bulk if possible. Avocados are expensive, but sometimes you can find them on sale. Hope this helps.
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I thought the best things in life were free...turns out that's a lie :-)
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I went grocery shopping for myself my husband and two kids today. Just for today though Friday food cost about $170! I usually spend $100 but I started healthy eating today and counting calories and lets just say chicken salmon and veggies cost a crap load more than pasta and pizza crusts :(

It doesn't have to be expensive. Non perishable foods can be bought on sale and perishable foods can be bought marked down. Adding in dried beans, lentils and such is a great money saver. When I was living alone buying the smallest packages of things felt like I was buying in a warehouse club - buying whole chickens didn't feel like that much more work at the point - or going to the farmers market and cleaning, trimming and freezing extra veg.

Also, if you are lucky to have options on where to shop this can be great. I have Meijer where I live and they always beat Kroger for healthier options at cheaper prices.
  • raeraebeau
    Options
    I usually spend $200 a week on not such great eating so it will probably go up. My husband started with a personal trainer today so he started a diet as well and he was all gung ho about the healthy food I'm hoping next week will be cheaper. But that is a great idea about the chicken, I usually stick to the already cleaned breasts but I think I'll buy a while chicken next time.

For 4 people that isn't so bad for a week of eating, of course it's all relative to your budget.

Buy whole chickens and break them down, they are the cheapest, then use the carcass to make stock.

Get frozen veggies if that is cheaper

And pasta can be eaten on a healthy diet
  • purpadillo
    purpadillo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Are you anywhere near an Aldi? I have been very impressed with their fruits/vegetables and I also occasionally buy my meat there, too. I buy a lot of frozen vegetables as you can frequently find coupons for them (especially the Steamables and Publix frequently has BOGO). I watch for chicken breast to go on sale (some of the frozen packages have weird preservatives and more calories) and then stock up and freeze it.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

This is about what I spend a week on myself. Bread, eggs, bacon, lunch meat, fruit, vegetables, chicken and popcorn is basically my list every week, with variables depending on what I feel like.

I tend to stock up on bags of frozen vegetables, both the SteamFresh bags and just plain frozen veg; I add peppers and onions to just about everything to bulk up for less calories. I cut out bread which has actually saved me a decent amount of money. I buy chicken and fruit mostly every week. I love Cuties, those adorable little clementines. Only 80 calories for two of them and they satisfy my sweet tooth fairly well. The only processed food I really buy anymore is Special K red berries cereal. Other than that, my cart is generally very healthy. I'm lucky to spend 40 bucks this week; it's usually about 60 for me, but this particular week was tight.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Kroger many times has their bags of frozen veggies 10 for 10.

Alright, Kroger is NOT all bad. I DO love their frozen veggie section. Especially at $10 for $10 (and their bean selection is FAB!) My Kroger's all lack in the fresh veg and produce section though!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You may not get coupons for fresh chicken/meat, etc., but it does go on sale. I always check the circulars and if some form of antibiotic-free chicken or ground turkey or even ground beef goes on sale, I stock up. Same with fruit/veg--a little harder to stock up on, but if you eat what's in season as others have noted it's generally cheaper.

Even Whole Foods has some really good prices if you shop their circular and their Friday one-day sales (last week I stocked up on chicken breast and Kind bars, and some 50-cent mangoes). You just have to get a little more used to planning your meals around what's cheap that week.
  • raeraebeau
    Options
    Where do you live? I'm in new York. The cost of living is a fortune. I easily spend $800 a month on groceries which does not include diapers, paper towel etc. you don't even wanna know what I spend on rent lol

haha it completely depends where you're from. I spend over 600$/month for my boyfriend and myself. Nothing is cheap where I'm from. Damn Island.

Well, potatoes are dirt cheap..