am i doing this wrong ?

Options

Replies

• zaneyard
    zaneyard Posts: 28
    Options
    if you aren't measuring your food, THAT is the problem! Your tracked calories must be way off.
    Oh absolutely, how did I forget to mention that?
  • feelthelove1964
    feelthelove1964 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I weigh some foods, but i am losing weight i only asked if i was doing it right . You think i am doing it wrong so we will leave it at that.I lwill carry on as i am and take advise from my friend who is a GP and i have a friend who is a fitness trainer too i will speak to him .

thanks for replies and no offense .
  • feelthelove1964
    Options
    if you aren't measuring your food, THAT is the problem! Your tracked calories must be way off. Estimating portions will not work. Buy a food scale, and if you really want to succeed, weigh every single thing and track it before you eat it. That is how you lose weight.

You should probably exercise more moderately- there's no need to workout 4 hours a day. Do 1 hour of dance a day and do strength training- you can do basic push-ups, squats, lunges, and planks at home without any equipment (plus a million of other exercises too- check youtube for at-home strength circuits).
  • feelthelove1964
    Options
    if you aren't measuring your food, THAT is the problem! Your tracked calories must be way off. Estimating portions will not work. Buy a food scale, and if you really want to succeed, weigh every single thing and track it before you eat it. That is how you lose weight.

You should probably exercise more moderately- there's no need to workout 4 hours a day. Do 1 hour of dance a day and do strength training- you can do basic push-ups, squats, lunges, and planks at home without any equipment (plus a million of other exercises too- check youtube for at-home strength circuits).

I have osteoarthritis in my knees and shoulders so i can't do push ups , squats, lunges. That is why i dance and walk . Thanks for the reply though :)
  • zaneyard
    zaneyard Posts: 28
    Options

I have osteoarthritis in my knees and shoulders so i can't do push ups , squats, lunges. That is why i dance and walk . Thanks for the reply though :)
    Google "osteoarthritis and strength training"
    Turns out it could actually help reduce pain!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Yes true! I have osteoarthritis in my hip and my doctor said keep doing any exercise I enjoy but what you are doing is fine. Dancing and walking are very good for you so just keep going!
  • walton004
    Options
    Well if you think that you are doing wrong well you should change it.One of the best way to achieve your goal is to put discipline for your self and always have a time.If you are working on it in a week then you still need to be patient you goal is to reduce and if you do it well you will get your goal.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You're going to overthink your strategy as soon as you eat more than 300kcals net and yoyo kicks in, as long as you're not planning to keep it like that the rest of your life. Not to mention your health.
  • feelthelove1964
    Options

lunging and push ups do not help they cause pain , i will be unable to walk if i do that
  • feelthelove1964
    Options
    You're going to overthink your strategy as soon as you eat more than 300kcals net and yoyo kicks in, as long as you're not planning to keep it like that the rest of your life. Not to mention your health.

there is nothing wrong with way i am doing this, eating back all the calories is pointless .
  • feelthelove1964
    Options
    [quoteen ]

[/quote]

you have been doing this since last June and lost only 8lb ? that's not much i would be disappointed at that
  • feelthelove1964
    Options

Yes true! I have osteoarthritis in my hip and my doctor said keep doing any exercise I enjoy but what you are doing is fine. Dancing and walking are very good for you so just keep going!

thank you ;)
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Ask for help, refuse to listen, add more info to make answers impossible to do, lash out, threaten to ragequit, defend unhealthy choices...

Next posts will be calling everyone mean, thanking the one completely wrong person, and announcing they will keep following their dangerously unhealthy original plan.

Textbook case of trollitis, people.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    far from it lol, i'm overweight and need to lose another 3 stone, but i just don't see the point in eating back the calories .:ohwell:

I have always eaten back my exercise calories and have lost 4 stone.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

there is nothing wrong with way i am doing this, eating back all the calories is pointless .

if you think there is nothing wrong with the way you are doing this, why are you asking "am I doing this wrong?" as a forum post?

also eating calories back isn't pointless. exercise is good for you, regardless of trying to lose weight. So, if you exercise for HEALTH, then you need to refuel your body. Also, don't you ever want a yummy delicious treat that doesn't fit into your base goals? Exercise means we can have those yummy treats!

I'm going out for my hike now so that I can have chocolate later. :happy:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

This is probably because you don't understand how myfitnesspal is designed to work.

You set up your profile, put in your information and told MFP that you want to lose, let's say, 2 pounds a week, which is considered the max end of weekly healthy weightloss. MFP is going to give you a deficit of 1000 calories a day from your maintenance level of calories.

Let's assume in your case, if you were to stay in bed all day and do nothing, your body will burn 2600 calories just functioning...breathing, heart pumping, etc. So, since 1 lb = 3500 calories, and 2 lbs = 7000 calories, then 1000 calories a day for one week = 7000 calories which = 2 lbs.

1000 calorie deficit for you is 1600.

NOW...when you add exercise, you increase your daily deficit from 1000 calories to 2300 calories (or whatever number it is depending on exercise). This is causing you to NET 300 calories a day.

While this may sound like it's a good idea, the fact of the matter is that your body needs a certain amount of calories to perform it's functions each day. The body will adjust how it works to protect itself. It will slow down your metabolism making it harder for you to lose the fat. You're body will keep hold of what it feels it needs to survive.

Food is fuel. Your body need fuel to function. Eating back exercise calories is just fueling your exercise. IF you don't feel hungry, don't eat more food, just eat food with a higher caloric count.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

This is probably because you don't understand how myfitnesspal is designed to work.

You set up your profile, put in your information and told MFP that you want to lose, let's say, 2 pounds a week, which is considered the max end of weekly healthy weightloss. MFP is going to give you a deficit of 1000 calories a day from your maintenance level of calories.

Let's assume in your case, if you were to stay in bed all day and do nothing, your body will burn 2600 calories just functioning...breathing, heart pumping, etc. So, since 1 lb = 3500 calories, and 2 lbs = 7000 calories, then 1000 calories a day for one week = 7000 calories which = 2 lbs.

1000 calorie deficit for you is 1600.

NOW...when you add exercise, you increase your daily deficit from 1000 calories to 2300 calories (or whatever number it is depending on exercise). This is causing you to NET 300 calories a day.

While this may sound like it's a good idea, the fact of the matter is that your body needs a certain amount of calories to perform it's functions each day. The body will adjust how it works to protect itself. It will slow down your metabolism making it harder for you to lose the fat. You're body will keep hold of what it feels it needs to survive.

Food is fuel. Your body need fuel to function. Eating back exercise calories is just fueling your exercise. IF you don't feel hungry, don't eat more food, just eat food with a higher caloric count.

This is an intelligent, accurate answer.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I reset my daily calories to 1600, my friend is a GP and said 1200 is not enough and said to set it to 1600.
    See a nutritionalist.. GP are not as well informed as they are.

i trust my friend he is a great GP nutritionalists don't like people eating fat and we need fat for our hair and skin . There is a balance .

Really?? I spoke to a nutritionalist who told me to eat avocadoes, nuts, peanut butter, full fat dairy and a host of other nautral healthy fats... . She actually wanted me to have 50% of my intake to be fat. (I almost fainted LOL). She then told me to not eat high fat meats or anything with added sguars or salt. A *good* nutritionalist will not tell you what you want to hear... they will tell you what will work.

A GP is a good person to go to for an overview. Any of us could have told you to eat 1600 calories and why. But to really look at what your body needs and how to get it there? A nutritionalist will be more beneficial.

PS.. 1600 caloreis has nothing to do with you personally. It's simply the average caloric needs to the population. most people need to eat between 1600-2000 calories to maintain heatlh so if a GP gives you a 1600 calorie diet.. it's hard to sue them for malpractice..

ETA: actually might not be the average..might be the lower number on the scale.. not really sure there.. I'm not a nutritionalist. ;~)
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just give it a few more weeks and evaluate your progress at that time.
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    IF YOU WANT TO UNDERSTAND READ THIS THREAD

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

Then read it again...

Ask questions

read it again

then try it for a month!