How do you spruce up your oatmeal?

Options
I eat oatmeal EVERY SINGLE MORNING. It's easy and keeps me full until lunch. I'm not complaining but I could use some ideas on how to make it less boring!

Replies

• sarahmaedzz
    sarahmaedzz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do all sorts of things to my oatmeal. Some good ideas are:

PB mixed in (can be plain, crunchy, dark chocolate)
    Strawberries and almond milk with almonds
    Mango chunks mixed in
    Chocolate protein powder mixed in.

Endless possibilities!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    mine are
    almond butter, bananas cinnamon and nutmeg
    fresh fruit (or frozen), and greek yogurt (sweeten with honey or maple syrup if you have to, but I don't)
    apples cinnamon and walnuts

I'm thinking of switching mine up some days for teff or millet to make my life a little more interesting. But I like life on the edge
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Protein Powder
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    chocolate drops and either chopped nuts or sunflower & pumpkin seeds.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I dump a cup of frozen blueberries in it. I use quaker oats 1/2 cup dry serving (not packets).
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    baked sweet potatoe, honey and dash of cinammon
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Chia Seeds, or fruit like blueberries or raspberries.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    crunchy peanut butter
    raisins
    brown sugar or 1 Truvia packet or honey
    cinnamon
    chopped apples
    chopped walnuts
  • Blondie251975
    Blondie251975 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop of protien powder in (your choice of many flavors, I prefer strawberry or cinnamon roll), and a splash of almond milk! :)
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Today I had what I call the "Elvis Special". 1/4 Cup Rolled Oats, 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk, 1 Tbs Creamy Peanut Butter, and 1/2 Banana. YUMMY! :happy:
  • AskTheStorm
    Options
    My favorite is to boil about 1/2 cup apple juice and water with sliced apples, then put it on top of my two servings of oatmeal.
    Smashing fruits are always good with it, sugar-free maple syrup, jam &jelly, peanut butter, protein powder, or you can even just toss it with fruit for a smoothie.

If I'm not hungry but I'm trying to add some calories, I cook only 1/2 cup and when it's done I add another serving dry, as well.
  • MadeInDR022
    MadeInDR022 Posts: 260
    Options
    Fresh fruits..pineapple chunks are my fave addition
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I always add a ripened banana to mine. Gives it a little different taste and the ripe banana is just what I need to sweeten it up without any added sugars, etc. I cut it up in the oatmeal and cook it all together.
  • Kioko1973
    Kioko1973 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    cinnamon
    any type of berries
    banana
    dried apricots, pineapples
    raisins
    dates
  • KpieS86
    KpieS86 Posts: 18
    Options
    this is great, I just started eating oatmeal but without peanut butter in it it's not sweet enough to me (I love sweet foods for breakfast!) Can't wait to try some of these *potentially* healthier options!
  • bluebuggy1970
    bluebuggy1970 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    2/3 cup of frozen fruit (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries), a couple of strawberries and then top it off with some no-sugar maple syrup. I have had oatmeal every morning for probably the last 10 years...
  • getlostweight
    Options
    The one consistency I've maintained has been eating one serving (1/4 cup uncooked) of steel cut oats every morning. The easiest "add in" I've found, which is SO delicious that I actually crave eating it as I would carbs or sugars, are blueberries. A cup of blueberries is about 233 calories...and fills me up for the day. Which I'm finding, in turn, helps stop me from binging at night!
    Also...if I'm really in the mood to sweeten it up a bit, I put the blueberries in the bowl, and then add a little bit of brown sugar on top of it, and when you pour the oatmeal on top of it, it soaks in and is still pretty low cal and healthy!! :)
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shannonahenderson
    Options
    Wow...I eat oatmeal everyday too. But I only add one "in the raw stevia packet" to my rolled oats with flaxseeds... So glad you posted this, I didn't realize I have options. I'm so going to try some of the suggestions other people posted.

Thanks so much!!!
  • SlimFrederic
    Options
    If you are an athlete, check out Ben's oatmeal...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqchsd5oNNs