am i doing this wrong ?

Options

Replies

• fatolelatdy
    fatolelatdy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i completely understand what she is saying. yesterday for me i ate 1218 calories, my goal was 1,640 (with exercise), so i had 422 left to eat, which i didn't. i have been here about 5 weeks and the lowest i weighed was 180.5, today i am 181.5, but yesterday when i closed my story, my message said 171.6 in 5 weeks, well i just don't see that coming.
  • feelthelove1964
    feelthelove1964 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ask for help, refuse to listen, add more info to make answers impossible to do, lash out, threaten to ragequit, defend unhealthy choices...

Next posts will be calling everyone mean, thanking the one completely wrong person, and announcing they will keep following their dangerously unhealthy original plan.

Textbook case of trollitis, people.

and my decision is my choice , i think i will take the advice of a qualified GP .
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    GPs know approximately bupkiss about healthy weight loss. They get as far as "eat less and move more".
    There's lots of people here who have done it who are offering you legitimate advice and you are effectively telling us all to screw off? Awesome. All the best.
  • feelthelove1964
    Options
    GPs know approximately bupkiss about healthy weight loss. They get as far as "eat less and move more".
    There's lots of people here who have done it who are offering you legitimate advice and you are effectively telling us all to screw off? Awesome. All the best.

no i am doing what i think best, if you can't hack it that someone dare to ask something and then decide its not the right answer for them , then you need to understand that people have their minds made up in the end, there is no law that says people have to accept everything others say.

Your not a GP, and i will take advice from someone who has spent years in medical school thank you .
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I STARTED OFF AT 307.2 LBS - I ATE ALL MY EXERCISE CALORIES BACK , ITS BEEN 6 MONTHS AND I LOST 65 LBS.. !!!

EAT YOUR CALORIES BACK!
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I THINK YOUR GP.. FORGOT TO TELL YOU TO EAT ! HAHHAHAHAHHA
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Ask for help, refuse to listen, add more info to make answers impossible to do, lash out, threaten to ragequit, defend unhealthy choices...

Next posts will be calling everyone mean, thanking the one completely wrong person, and announcing they will keep following their dangerously unhealthy original plan.

Textbook case of trollitis, people.

and my decision is my choice , i think i will take the advice of a qualified GP .

Then why did you ask for advise here if you had already decided what you were going to do?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Then why did you ask for advise here if you had already decided what you were going to do?

I'm guessing that the OP didn't really want help.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I honestly ate all my exercise calories back too and it works.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You're going to overthink your strategy as soon as you eat more than 300kcals net and yoyo kicks in, as long as you're not planning to keep it like that the rest of your life. Not to mention your health.

there is nothing wrong with way i am doing this, eating back all the calories is pointless .

This is probably because you don't understand how myfitnesspal is designed to work.

You set up your profile, put in your information and told MFP that you want to lose, let's say, 2 pounds a week, which is considered the max end of weekly healthy weightloss. MFP is going to give you a deficit of 1000 calories a day from your maintenance level of calories.

Let's assume in your case, if you were to stay in bed all day and do nothing, your body will burn 2600 calories just functioning...breathing, heart pumping, etc. So, since 1 lb = 3500 calories, and 2 lbs = 7000 calories, then 1000 calories a day for one week = 7000 calories which = 2 lbs.

1000 calorie deficit for you is 1600.

NOW...when you add exercise, you increase your daily deficit from 1000 calories to 2300 calories (or whatever number it is depending on exercise). This is causing you to NET 300 calories a day.

While this may sound like it's a good idea, the fact of the matter is that your body needs a certain amount of calories to perform it's functions each day. The body will adjust how it works to protect itself. It will slow down your metabolism making it harder for you to lose the fat. You're body will keep hold of what it feels it needs to survive.

Food is fuel. Your body need fuel to function. Eating back exercise calories is just fueling your exercise. IF you don't feel hungry, don't eat more food, just eat food with a higher caloric count.

And that's why we are friends CM :flowerforyou:
  • feelthelove1964
    Options
    your gp never from your pics ha ha ha
  • feelthelove1964
    Options

I asked the person why she / he wrote this and this was their reply :

she was being spiteful and taking the piss, her first reply was encouraging saying she eats back her exercise calories and has lost weight, then she noticed others taking the piss so joined in . I replied with the only answer she deserved , meaning she's still fat and her GP must have told her to keep on eating.

If someone tries to belittle you , give back what they give you and hopefully they won't do it again.

AND I AM THINKING - HELL YEA I AM STILL FAT, THAT IS WHY I AM HERE AND GUESS WHAT ? I AM LOSING WEIGHT AND YOU AINT, SO WHO IS THE FAT PERSON NOW ? NOT ME!!!!

and i thought private messages were private ?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If this thread ever had a point, it's long gone now.

OP, eat to support exercise. That's a healthy, sensible approach. Something like TDEE minus 10-20%. If you want to make real sustainable progress towards losing weight, then that's what you need to do. Everything else is a fairytale.....

Either accept that you're doing it right already and then you don't need advice and help. Or take note of what people who know what they're talking about are telling you. I will pitch in with some good advice, you can choose to read it, or ignore it. It's up to you....

You need to:
    a) accurately log all calories eaten (this may require food scale action/measuring jug action)
    b) either try to accurately log exercise calories burnt (massively wild stab in the dark estimations will not help you lose weight) or change your activity level settings to reflect your exercise patterns and therefore don't log calorie burns (this is the way I have the site set up for me personally since I mostly strength train and there are no really accurate ways to gauge how many calories are burnt, so I upped my activity level to account for my extra caloric demands)
    c) make sure that you have a moderate deficit after this is all taken into account (as stated above something like TDEE minus 20% at the most, 10% at the least)
    d) be patient enough that this will take time. Come to terms with that fact, live with that fact and be content with every little bit of success along the way. You are not going to drop a metric tonne of weight in a week. Unrealistic goals set yourself up for failure.
    e) report any doctor that tells you it is safe to net 300 cals a day to the General Medical Council (www.gmc-uk.org). At these levels (if you have accurately logged your food and exercise - see points a) and b) above) you are asking for osteoporosis and organ damage amongst other things.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

she was being spiteful and taking the piss, her first reply was encouraging saying she eats back her exercise calories and has lost weight, then she noticed others taking the piss so joined in . I replied with the only answer she deserved , meaning she's still fat and her GP must have told her to keep on eating.

If someone tries to belittle you , give back what they give you and hopefully they won't do it again.

AND I AM THINKING - HELL YEA I AM STILL FAT, THAT IS WHY I AM HERE AND GUESS WHAT ? I AM LOSING WEIGHT AND YOU AINT, SO WHO IS THE FAT PERSON NOW ? NOT ME!!!!

Well you were were being super rude!! This is a weight loss program we're all here to loose weight and support each other in doing so. not to be rude to each other if we don't like the answers we got when asking a question!!

OP: If you can't handle honest answers don't ask questions...
    Brit: You're awesome!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I suspect this will fall on deaf ears but here goes. Here's a very good article about why having a huge deficit is a bad thing:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

And here's a much simpler explanation of how this site and weight loss in general work. It's a very quick and easy read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

You need to weigh all of your food and measure your free-pouring liquids. Log everything. I agree that the calorie burn seems high, so maybe try eating back half the calories. You will lose weight at least for awhile doing what you're doing, but you'll sacrifice your muscle mass (which will slow your metabolism) and cause a lot of unnecessary stress on your body. I've lost all of my weight by eating at a moderate deficit and eating back exercise calories. It does work and it's much healthier. Treat your body with respect.
  • feelthelove1964
    Options

Well you were were being super rude!! This is a weight loss program we're all here to loose weight and support each other in doing so. not to be rude to each other if we don't like the answers we got when asking a question!!

OP: If you can't handle honest answers don't ask questions...
    Brit: You're awesome!!

and you think it isn't super rude to say to me ' YOUR GP IS TELLING YOU NOT TO EAT HA HA HA HA ' ?
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    Dang. 1600 calories burned? Are you using a heart rate monitor? How in the world do you estimate this? Do you think there might be a wee problem with dancing 4 hours?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I hope I am reading this incorrectly.

Did You EAT 1946 calories...... BURN 1600 of them.... leaving you with a NET for the day of 346?

IF so...... YES, doing it totally wrong. Can you clarify?

Your NET should be 1600.

yes

then you are doing it wrong. having a net of 300 cals is no different to just eating 300 cals.

if you eat so little over a period of time you will do yourself some serious damage.

to be fair, it's a little different.

from an energy point of view, they are essentially the same. from a nutritional point of view, not quite. you can meet your daily macros on 1600 calories. you can't on 300 calories.

but you are quite right about eating at a NET of 300 for a prolonged period of time. even if you are getting your protein and fats, you will stall eventually because the body will react to the stress from not providing enough calories with daily intake.
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    4 hours of dancing is around 1,000 calories burned according to mfp. You might be overestimating your calories burned. Why don't you join a gym and do some low impact classes? Even strength training using your own weight is helpful for arthritis and creates the "after burn" so you might not need to exercise for 4 hours.

Good luck!
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    bump