Hardest part about dieting?

Options

Replies

• nmaxie
    nmaxie Posts: 12
    Options
    :smile: That sounds like a life saver. Pls post the name so I can pick some up when I go out.
  • aberc
    aberc Posts: 98
    Options
    Leaving things on my plate was actually kind of hard to get over. I dont like wasting food, and so it took time for me to learn what portions are filling so I don't overload my plate and feel like I need to finish it all.
  • Dani_M_1984
    Dani_M_1984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The worst part for me is every few months I hit a stage where I just get so sick of having to bust my *kitten* at the gym and constantly watch what I eat. Although I know it is completely worth it in the end up and I love the satisfaction of being skinnier sometimes I just hit that brick wall.
  • pembrokelisa
    Options
    I am just starting this venture. I still have, so Im told, the "Cover Girl Face" but long to have my body back. I had Ovarian Cancer when I was 29 and since my Hysterectomy I have gained weekly ever since! I am not 43 and yeah I know how to dress to lessen the noticable change of weight gain but omg I cant believe how much I weight. So I HAVE to do something! So I just started this my fitness pal thing that seems to be helping. I need to buy a scale to see if I even lost anything yet. Its only been a week but I have been SO good eating. Usually Im a spur of the moment, Im in the mood for that kinda girl, plus I cook SO good. My weakness is cheese, butter, salt, sour cream....anything like that. Stuffed shells, mac n cheez...all the yummy food. So all the sudden having to figure out what the hell I can eat is frustrating when I work so much and have to think about the kids. And I never new how much sodium is even in what you think is good food. The first day I was like cool, look at me go eating all good, meanwhile I was way over with sodium! So annoying! BUT I can do it right? Now sure how cause its all new for me but some how I need to loose 80 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    :smile: That sounds like a life saver. Pls post the name so I can pick some up when I go out.

Popsecret-I like the Homestyle Popcorn
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    getting started is hard but since i just joined MFP, i'm on my way......
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    calling it a diet

we're all on a 'diet' since we're eating food.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Patience
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have issues with food. So believe it or not eating enough is my problem. According to my TDEE I'm allowed to eat anything below 2000 calories a day and still lose. I'm told if I ate closer to this number I might even lose faster but I can't shut that voice in my head that says to limit my calories. I'm calorie phobic. I have raised my calorie allotment from 1200-1300 a day to about 1500 a day but it totally freaks me out. I find myself weighing myself EVERY single day so the minute I notice weight gain I can lower my calories. Something I'm going to have to learn to deal with.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me is the plateau's ....I've lost 56 lbs since January 2012 . Have recently joined this site for additional portion control and tracking too. I'm pretty set in my routine as far as what I eat and when and my exercise consists of walking 2x a day. I am hoping with better tracking that I will be able to finish my journey to 120 lbs ( 22 lbs left to get there )

Have you tried mixing your work outs up? I was doing cardio a LOT and I got to the point where I wasn't getting stronger or getting leaner as well as losing weight. I started lifting weights (now a body builder) and I broke through that plateau and now I have less body fat, rather than a cardio bunny with more body fat.

Just a thought.
  • JulesAlloggio
    Options
    calling it a diet

we're all on a 'diet' since we're eating food.

Totally agree! Its a lifestyle =)
  • JulesAlloggio
    Options
    I have the same problem especially with popcorn. It bothers me to open or pop a bag and leave leftovers. I'm not a fan of leftover popcorn nor waisting food so I kinda feel like I have to eat it all.

Plus I'm not good with eyeing measurements so if I don't have a measuring cup nearby I'm screwed.

What about a bag of popcorn...the one I eat is 150 calories...so I don't even have to think about it.

If I know I am going to have popcorn (Saturday nights) I make sure I only eat about 2 cups. If portion control is an issue with "wasting" food..then look for the mini bags that are 1 serving.
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me was admitting that I needed to change my life style because I can no longer eat like I did when I was in my 20s (i.e. eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, not exercise and still be a size 2-4).

Social situations are hard sometimes when you get those pesky people who say "oh, come on you can have that [cookie/dip/drink]...you've been working out..." It's like - hey, back off. I don't tell you that you SHOULDN'T be eating that :noway:
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm good with self control and portions/measuring everything out when there's no junkfood that I like in the house. But as soon as some junkfood item I like is brought into house, all self control and willpower is thrown out the window.

Like over Easter, my Mom got cupcakes and ice cream. I have the hardest time with pastries, I could avoid the ice cream... but I would eat 2-3 cupcakes a day until they were all gone.
    :ohwell:
  • Soxgirl97
    Soxgirl97 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is self control. There are things I know I canny have because I can't control myself. It's hard to resist them. Also, being hungry is hard. There are days when I'm hungry all day no matter what I've eaten (within reason...if I let myself binge I would get full lol). I go to bed hungry most nights but don't wake up hungry.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It's easy for me if I can exercise. However, if I'm busy or sick and am unable to do so, it's really hard for me to meet my calorie goals.
  • Embee_2311
    Options
    Definitely finding it so difficult to find healthy food choices within easy access - junk food is EVERYWHERE I go, but if I don't take care to pre-pack healthy snacks etc. and have them in my bag/car, I run the chance of starving! Unfortunately pre-packing foods isn't my thing:mad:
  • nmaxie
    nmaxie Posts: 12
    Options

Popsecret-I like the Homestyle Popcorn

Thanks
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    For me it's making healthy choices where I sooo don't want to. For instance, after the gym my fiance and I went to Panera.

I got a half chicken caesar salad (220 cals, 19 g protein) and a cup of cheddar broccoli soup (200 cals, 8 g protein). What I really wanted was a spinach and artichoke souffle (550 cals, 34!!!g of fat) which do not fill me up in the slightest.

Sometimes I just get so tired of it and wanna say **** it and have that whole pizza or entire box of cookies or entire package of chips like I used to, but I'm glad I don't. I always feel good after making the right choice, but the right choice wouldn't always necessarily be the first one :laugh:

That being said, I don't deprive myself. I've just learned to swap certain things for others and portion control. :)

ETA: another thing I have trouble with is accountability. Before, if no one was home and there were pastries, chocolates, candies, etc, bet your *kitten* I'm stuffing my face without telling anyone OR putting it in my diary. Perhaps that's why I gained it all back and then some :) But I haven't done that yet this time!
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me is taking away the happiness I found in food as well as eating when bored.