The word "Ladies"

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
In a professional setting, do you find the word "Ladies" appropriate? Inappropriate? Condescending? Does it matter if it's used in an email vs. in person?

Heated debate here....

Disclaimer: I'm referring to the word "Ladies" being used to address a group of women, not men, you freaks.

Replies

• JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Ladies does not offend me, but I'm someone that does not easily offend at all. You could call me a nasty name and I would probably answer...hahaha.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think in that instance, tone is what really matters most.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    In a professional setting, do you find the word "Ladies" appropriate? Inappropriate? Condescending? Does it matter if it's used in an email vs. in person?

Heated debate here....

Disclaimer: I'm referring to the word "Ladies" being used to address a group of women, not men, you freaks.

I thought you were referring to the latrine.

e.g. I need to go to the 'Ladies.'
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies . . .

adult-swim-behind-bush_zps59d39504.gif
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    "ladies" doesn't bother me so much....but i hate being called "ma'am"!!!
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Hello ladies . . .

adult-swim-behind-bush_zps59d39504.gif
    SEXY!!!!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    The tone of voice makes the difference.
  • CrazyAuntMartha
    Options
    Definitely condesending. We are women, not ladies. Ladies stay home and crochet doilies. Of course, in the Order of The British Empire, quite acceptable. But Maggie Thacher was a woman long before she became a Lady...
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Ladies, girls, women, ma'am......none of it bothers me
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I would rather be called "lady" or lumped into "ladies" than to be called something else... *not a fan of being referred to as a ***** or *****es*
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    "Ladies" is fine as it corresponds to "Gentlemen". "Girls" is condescending.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Irks my nerves. In soccer the girls would always be like "come on ladies" "you got this ladies"...it motivated me to run further away from them...so I guess it worked in a sense.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I don't find it inappropriate. As for condescending, that's more of a matter of tone.
  • BabsyGirl
    BabsyGirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think, if anything, it's the least offensive thing you could use. In the example of coming into a meeting where everyone is a woman, and greeting them, there are non-gender-specific ways to approach the situation such as, "Welcome everyone!" but if they're all women anyway... I don't think ladies is offensive. I think other words such as "chick" or "woman" (mainly when used by someone in a derogatory way) could be offensive, but not ladies.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I used to work as a clerk at a liquor store. I use to call them

- Babe
    -Baby
    - Hey sexy
    - Love
    - My future ex wife
    - hi
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I generally like "Dames".

Or "Wimmins". But not if you are speaking because people might think you are saying "Womens" which is offensive or "Women" which is insulting.

In a business setting, I'd prefer to be referred to as "Femonitron" or the plural "Femonitronia" because it conveys a certain professionalism.
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Tone matters, but I think that is obviously.

I work with women only, with the exception of our director who we rarely see, so I say "ladies" fairly often, email or in person. However, if I think about a man using it in the workplace, it seems strange. Not necessarily offensive, maybe condescending? I don't know. That's an interesting one to think about...
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it could possibly be considered inappropriate.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    ladies is fine. calling me "woman" I can't stand.

I guess I should clarify that by stating I heard the phrase "woman, fix me a steak" all to many times.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    um. I am a lady, so I don't see the problem.