what would YOU do?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If the expense is the issue, then just tell him he can't have it. Or hide it. When he earns his own money he buy his own expensive treats.

But if the expense is not an issue, but the time to make it is, you are absolutely justified in saying he must help make it. He's plenty old enough to start learning to prepare food.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I think you need to readjust your outlook on food.

I don't see what's wrong with both of you having a piece of chocolate at the end of the night.
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    teenager!! eat ya out of house and home!! lol

He prob wouldn't care less, I think if he helps make it, then he may have the chocolate.

good luck on your journey!!
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You can so tell the parents from the non parents
    And the people who read the post entirely and those who didn't

You came up with a good solution

And I don't know one mother who hasn't hidden special snacks just for herself or hidden in a closet b/c she didn't want to share.

Yes we're mothers and we love our children but that doesn't mean we HAVE to share everything with them. We're allowed things that are just ours!
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When my extended family (including kids) and I were having a nice dinner like filet mignon; until the kids were old enough to appreciate the difference in the taste between burgers and filet - they got burgers. If your son would as happily grab a Hershey bar or pudding cup as he would be consuming quantities of the only treat you are allowed, of which there is a limited amount let him have the pudding cups.

Personally, my brother and I used to like helping to make treats – you got to lick the bowl (still the best part about making treats); although by 14 we would be making that recipe by ourselves.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. You're the mom - you don't have to be fair! :devil: That's one of the few perks of being the mom.

:flowerforyou: Enjoy your chocolate. :)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    My last contribution to this thread, because I'm disturbed by how unsettling I find this all, and how judgy I am feeling. But I feel like I have to say it.

"this stuff actually really helps me stay away from junk food treats.
    it's precious to me.
    i want to to share, but i do find my son to be a bit greedy - or something.
    he would easily polish off my 'treat' without thinking twice."

^^ this suggests you are seeing some kind of maliciousness in what is totally normal behaviour for a teen. Like he's supposed to be able to understand your issues and is in some way deliberately sabotaging you.

Dude is just hungry. Teen brains are not fully developed.

I really hope I'm wrong and just reading way too much into what you wrote, because it would be effed up otherwise.
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You can so tell the parents from the non parents
    And the people who read the post entirely and those who didn't

You came up with a good solution

And I don't know one mother who hasn't hidden special snacks just for herself or hidden in a closet b/c she didn't want to share.

Yes we're mothers and we love our children but that doesn't mean we HAVE to share everything with them. We're allowed things that are just ours!

LOVE this! thank you!
    and i agree, you can tell the non parents for sure
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    This is a very touchy topic but... is he your son by birth or did you adopted him or is he your step son or something?

I ask because it sounds like you prioritize your chocolate over him. Which, as a single man, I would to but I have a legitimate reason of not liking kids. But when my nephew asks me for my ice cream, I give it to him.

Have you tried keeping some regular crappy chocolate in the house for him? He's 14. Of course he's gonna want to eat junk food... Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean HE has to be on one too...
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    He's 14....He's allowed to eat whatever he wants (within reason) and you are to provide it for him. If you don't want him to have your "chocolate" (assuming you can call it that) then don't let him know you have it....Hide it.....if he knows where it is/finds it it's fair game.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    He's 14....He's allowed to eat whatever he wants (within reason) and you are to provide it for him. If you don't want him to have your "chocolate" (assuming you can call it that) then don't let him know you have it....Hide it.....if he knows where it is/finds it it's fair game.

This. The comment about "all parents hide some snacks" is fair but thats the thing. You didn't hide it. Once its out.. its out. Get him some generic chocolates, hide your stuff well. win/win
  • kekeleeks
    kekeleeks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would do the same thing!! You are spot on. Boundaries are important. He is old enough that if he can help eat it, he can help cook it! Especially, if you are going to eat it all. Good job Mama. Kudos to you.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    [quote
    am i being a jerk?
    [/quote]
    Yes.
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    i am trying to cut out processed food, refined sugars and flours.
    in doing that, i make myself a sugar free chocolate recipe i found because i do love my chocolate.
    my 14 year old son loves the recipe but isn't following any kind of diet or anything.
    the chocolate isn't cheap to make plus it does take a bit of time to prepare.

he went to grab a piece of my chocolate tonight and i said if you're going to keep eating that, you will have to help me make it.
    i got the typical teenager response of - that's not fair!
    then as soon as he finished his chocolate, he reached for a pudding cup.
    now i am grumpy today, but i told him if he's going to eat regular junk he doesn't really need to be eating my chocolate.

am i being a jerk?
    this stuff actually really helps me stay away from junk food treats.
    it's precious to me.
    i want to to share, but i do find my son to be a bit greedy - or something.
    he would easily polish off my 'treat' without thinking twice.

maybe you were a bit harsh in your delivery, but i doubt it's going to break his heart and crush his soul if you choose not to share. C'mon, he won't even help you make it? Puh-lease. That's life. Let yourself have a few of your own things and tell him to keep his paws away from it. ;)
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    What would I do? I would share.
    Me too :blushing:
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    that recipe looks real good, thank you for sharing
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    that recipe looks real good, thank you for sharing

oh it is reeeeeeeally good.
    i LOVE it.
    i hope you enjoy it!
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I hate buying the junk my kids love and deserve but I think it is funny as all get up that they have no longer found bacon as heaven but turkey bacon just as acceptable lol That being said I know healthier options can be way more expensive than the junkier processed stuff but you have to get to the point of the example you are setting for them long term as well. I NEVER tell them no when they want to eat something I made that is within my dietary needs no matter the cost. Yes it costs more financially but in the long run you are teaching them how not to ever be in the situation most of us are all in now. They are young so their metabolism can handle it unless they already are showing signs of being unhealthy. So let them have both and explain to them that your options are better and healthier they need to learn at a young age eating a healthy diet is not just chomping on raw fruits and veggies 24/7. You arent a jerk but it is selfish in more way than one not to allow them to partake in your life changes or lifestyle. TBH if they eat it,appreciate it and like it it is a form of support and should make you feel good for 1. making better choices and 2. teaching them to do the same.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I think you're being fair. Why can't he help you make it? He's a teenager, not a little child. In fact, having him help you make your healthy recipes and sharing with him will help him develop good eating habits, too. This is one of my biggest pet peeves; hearing people talk about how their family isn't on their "diet". But in reality, their diet is just eating healthier. If you are making changes because you know it is good for you and the other stuff is bad, why would you not want your family to follow in those same footsteps? Teach children good eating habits now before they are stuck in the situation a lot of people are on this site for.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    starting when my kids were little (and still applies to hubby today - kids grown and gone) any food in a plastic grocery store bag, in the fridge, freezer, cupboard, counter, wherever...is off limits, that's the rule...anything else in the house is fair game. That way if I bought an ingredient for something specific (or just something i didn't want to share) they knew not to even bother...didn't even look to see what was in there after a while....now my daughter has started the same rule w/her daughter :bigsmile:

I love this rule. Love it. It is NOT that I am greedy at all I love to share with others, but now that I have certain things that I can and can not have, I'm a little selfish about some of my foods and beverages. so I totally get where OP is coming from here. It's not that I don't want to share, but THIS is what I can have and all that other stuff that I cannot have is available for everyone else.

Perfect example, the other night the two of us were out doing errands and he kept taking my Sobe Life Water and drinking out of it because he had a sore gum from hurting himself (while eating Fritos!). The water, he said, helped it feel better. Ok no problem. Well then I got a plain green tea at starbucks and he took that away from me too. We stopped at Walgreens so he could get some Anbesol for his Frito injury and I waited in the car. He offered to get me a new Sobe, which it seems they didn't have, but he knows I drink Vitamin Water Zero also. He comes back with one for me but he didn't read it, he just grabbed one and it was regular (140 calories). He took all the things away from me that I can have and didn't bother to read and brought me something I cannot have.

When I found out he was more than willing to eat my Pure Protein bars I had to squirrel them away and then start buying Kind Bars and Larabar - most of them are made with almonds which he is allergic to, and walnuts which he hates, so I know he won't touch those bars.

But this goes both ways - he loves cottage cheese and I absolutely can't stand it, so I won't be touching some of his snacks either.