Starting 10k novice training... care to run with me?

Options
JPriceGA
JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
Hello MFP folks! Fourth of July celebrations are over, and It's back to running for me. I'm starting Hal Higdon's novice 10k running program - care to run with me? I've never run a 10k. I started running a year ago with couch to 5k, but haven't taken that next step up to the 10k. I'm slow, grey and still about 35 lbs overweight, so - a sight to see plodding along the roadside. I hope you'll run with me! C25k was so much easier when running with MFP friends!

Here's the plan.
http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.pdf

Replies

• shmilla
    shmilla Posts: 19
    Options
    Hmmm...is there a Couch to Running 5 Minutes Without Stopping Plan?

I was kicking around the idea of returning to running today, so I will pledge to motivate you and start the Couch to 5k plan to get up to speed with you if you'd like. My fastest was a 35:05 5k when I stopped running last year.

And you're doing great, by the way!
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    hello beautiful :)

I would love to run again with you!!! how is everything going for you? congrats on getting back on the running train!!! We only graduated a year ago hehe!!!!

have you already done week one, or are you starting it right away today?

hope everything is going well for you! I have been out running but not really doing anything past the 5km....and it still takes me about 42 minutes to run the full 5km while still taking a few walk breaks so I dont die!!!

great job and great idea!!!
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm in and glad you started this...I am signed up to run a 10k in September and am not ready for it and have thought of changing it to a 5k - so this here training plan is exactly what I need, and so I'm not alone in my training!

okay..so I'm actually dressed and ready to give it a go!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Did my 2.5 miles and then walked another 1/2.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Hmmm...is there a Couch to Running 5 Minutes Without Stopping Plan?

C25k Week 1 ;-)

Come run with me and thanks for the support! It will help!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    hello beautiful :)

I would love to run again with you!!! how is everything going for you? congrats on getting back on the running train!!! We only graduated a year ago hehe!!!!

have you already done week one, or are you starting it right away today?

hope everything is going well for you! I have been out running but not really doing anything past the 5km....and it still takes me about 42 minutes to run the full 5km while still taking a few walk breaks so I dont die!!!

great job and great idea!!!

Hi maddiebabe!

I start week one today with a 2.5 mile run. I'm about to go put on my running shoes and head to the gym to run on the treadmill. I'm going to have to add the strength training - I don't have a routine for that.

I haven't run in a few weeks now, so we'll see how I do tonight. I'll report in.

Week 1 BTW is
    Monday: Stretch & Strengthen
    Tuesday: 2.5 mile run
    Wednesday: 30 min cross
    Thursday: 2 mile run & strength
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: 40 minute cross (I'll probably swim that day)
    Sunday: 3 mile run
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Did my 2.5 miles and then walked another 1/2.

You go, Jessica!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I have run a 5K many times over but am looking to make the next step and beyond. I am hoping to run my first half marathon in November so I have lots of training time between then and now.
  • Jessica68
    Options
    My run was also on the treadmill today, it was too hot for outside plus I really want to work on my speed so I decided to use the treadmill. Hopefully one day I'll get a watch that can track my pace so I can monitor my speed better - so for now the treadmill helps push me faster. I'll get some outside runs in as well - if I can wake up early enough to beat the heat wave.
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i took my doggie out today, and managed to get through 2.5 miles but definately was wayyyy to hot to run outside. i maybe ran 1 mile of it and walked the rest....my poor black border collie was so hot too!

tomorrow I'll be up again at 5:30 am to try and get through the full run.

I also have strength training wed and thursday and another run on friday b/c my saturdays will have to be my rest days

glad to hear your runs went well ladies :)
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    I made it to the treadmill at the gym... it's been quite a while since I've run there! It seemed hot even in the air conditioned gym! I took a couple of walk breaks, but did the 2.5. By the end I was starting to feel back to "normal" run mode, so I expect the next run to be better. I probably need to switch to running in cooler clothes!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    I'm in! I have run a 5K many times over but am looking to make the next step and beyond. I am hoping to run my first half marathon in November so I have lots of training time between then and now.

Thanks for joining in Dawnna76! Do you have a race picked out already?
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    I'm in! I love running and ran around 2 miles last night. I hurt my knee running over a week ago (tripped on the shoelaces and fell on brick!) but I will run when I can!!!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

Thanks for joining in Dawnna76! Do you have a race picked out already?

the Seattle Marathon
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Today's 30 minute cross train was a crunch fitness salsa dance video for 39 minutes. Someone on MFP gave me the idea to use Netflix instant play workout videos on my Wii, so this was the firt time I've tried that.

Tomorrow - the next 2 mile run plus stregnth training. I'm not sure what to do about that yet - guess I'll have to learn to use some of the weight machines at the gym.
  • Jessica68
    Options
    For my cross train today I swam a little in our above ground pool, its small so it was'nt easy since I had to go in circles but I did it anyway to get something different in. Then I later did a 20min workout using 10pd dumbbells. Did several arm lifts of different kinds and then several lunges with the weights. I didn't feel like it was much of a workout but who knows..maybe in 24 hours I'll be feeling it!

The salsa video sounds fun!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    did my 2 mile run and some weight lifting machines but will try and do some dumbbell lifting tonight since I didnt use the machines for long.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    I got in my two mile run and semi-randomly chose six weight machines to use. I did three sets of 12 reps at light weight on each machine. I think it was biceps, shoulder press, lateral arm raise, back, inner & outer thighs. I tried to get a little bit of everywhere.
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Today is a rest day. How are the rest of you doing?

I found a 10k race to run in September, so now I have an actual goal to train for!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    I rested...well had a bunch of errands but did no exercise or running.

Awesome that you found a race! That's the same month I have one...I was actually thinking about switching it to a 5k but deep down I feel I can handle the 10k if I truly train for it. So I'm keeping it as is.

I run in the morning for the 3 miles.