The Day Someone Tells My Daughter "Your Mom is Fat!"

Options
13»

Replies

• maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think this was your a-ha moment.

I think ur right.. and thank you for ur post.. i love it. I am a mom of a 2 a boy and girl .. and i love this. Made me cry :sad:
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    omgosh, this seriously made me tear up!! today is a new day. you can make a change i know you can and WILL! Kids used to tell my daughter i was fat when she was in kindergarten, and I wasnt even at my heaviest then! It sounds like your doing a great job with your daughter for her to be able to respond with such love and care. Keep your head up girl!! first and foremost you are a WOMAN, and that is having courage, and strength. dont sell yourself short!!! friend me =)
  • nicsalt
    nicsalt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I think writing this post is your ah-ha moment. There are so many great responses here. One of the best things you can do for your daughter is take care of YOU. Love and care for yourself. You are worth the effort. What a great role model you will be for her.

She will respect you and be proud of you no matter how you look on the outside but you will be able to do all of the things you want to with her if your body is healthy and strong.

Wishing you all the best to see this through.
  • lrsmommy
    lrsmommy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I waited and waited and waited for my "A-Ha" moment also, then in January it finally happened. I have been overweight my whole life and have been working on losing weight for the last 2-3 years, but not consistently. I would find some fad diet, drop 20-30 lbs, then gain 10-20 of it back. Over the last couple of years I managed to lose 80 lbs and keep it off. Then, right when I decide to do something about my weight again, I end up in the hospital in ICU after having a major heart attack at the age of 34. Whether I wanted the A-Ha moment or not I didn't have a choice - I want to be around to watch my 3 boys grow up. Don't let it come to that... get on track and get HEALTHY before it's too late. So while I am doing it for them, I am also doing it for ME because I want to see them go to middle school, graduate high school and college, get married, and be around to hold my grandkids when it gets to that point (hopefully that's a long way off :smile: )

I let myself go worrying about everyone else first. I now know that taking care of myself is just as important as taking care of everyone else.My new motto I live with is "Getting healthy doesn't cost too much because you're worth it". My family still hasn't adjusted to my new lifestyle but they're starting to accept it and get used to it. Love those who are supportive and thank them, and have patience with those who aren't as supportive, and never give up. Once everyone sees how serious you are about changing your life for the better they will start to be supportive and might even join you in the journey.

Good luck!
  • nicolej1016
    nicolej1016 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your honesty and bringing up a topic many of us moms (and dads) have thought about or experienced.

I agree with the other MFP posters that have said that you have already had your 'ah-ha' moment and the clarity in which you wrote about your experience demonstrates this. Also, it's true, this has to be about being healthy for you - the impact on your daughter is just one of many outcomes. Ultimately, it is the change in your mindset that will move you to take action.

One of my children is on the Autism spectrum and part of her personality is to be very blunt and say things without the softening words or tones we so often use. Starting in Kindergarten, she began informing me that I was fat. I acknowledged that I was overweight and told her I am making changes. We have always been an active family - dancing around the house, going to the playgrounds several times a week, chasing each other for fun. But I was still, frankly, overweight.

In the past 7 months, I have made major changes, up to joining MFP a few weeks ago. Since that first Kindergarten episode, I have learned that there was another little girl in her class who has been showing disdain for me as an overweight mom. She had communicated this to my daughter on at least a few occasions. I am not morbidly obese, but neither am I average-sized. She has seen photos of me at a thin weight, but she has also seen me at my heaviest.

My daughter - as with some kids on the spectrum - is having a hard time letting my 'fatness' go without comment. She is not cruel, but it still hurts when she reminds me that I am overweight. We are working on her using her 'filters'. Her comments are not my only motivation for working so hard on this, but I do not want her to fall into my footsteps. Already, she has commented that she could lose weight - she is actually spot-on for ideal body weight for her age - and I have reminded her that health is more important, that she has a lot of growing left to do, etc.

Our sons and daughters are bombarded with images of perfect bodies - all too often air-brushed false images. Although my husband and I are deliberate in giving right messages and screening the media that they are exposed to; the world still gets its foot in there too. We just have to fight it.

So, again, thank you for your post and for bringing up an important subject. I wish you all the best as you fight to make yourself the healthiest you can be for yourself, your future, and your family. Blessings
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Bless you. You will do this for you when your ready....and it sounds like you have wonderful reasons to do it! You seem to be a great mom and I bet your daughter is fantastic......Good luck
  • mnflame
    mnflame Posts: 24
    Options
    Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. I am not a mom, but I want to be someday. I've had body issues since I was a little kid. I can remember girls on the bus in 1st or 2nd grade making fun of each other for being "fat". I was lucky in that my mom (who is AMAZING, btw) always told me that "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me." I know that isn't true, but it was my go-to when words did hurt me. I was also lucky that, although I have body issues, I've never really had a problem with confidence. Weird, I know. Anyway, it may sound silly, but I want to do this now, take control of the one area that I've often felt was out of control, for my future children. It may be silly to look that far ahead, but if I can form healthy habits now that I can instill in them, when I have them, then they will (hopefully) have a less hurtful time than I did. Kids should be kids; they shouldn't have to worry about who's fat or who's not.

I'm going to send you a friend request, so I hope that's ok. And I think it's wonderful, what you are trying to do. But the person (people?) who said that you have to do it for YOU first, are right. I would love to help support you in your journey. This is a fantastic first step!
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As a single parent I've put my sons needs and demands before my own health. I brushed it off because that's part of being a parent, but I have neglected myself in the process. I've made several attempts to get healthy and have made many excuses to stop. I believe my "A-Ha" moment finally came after my cousin had a major heart attack this year at 34. I choose to get healthy for myself not for anyone but myself. You will need a support group of family & friends whether they are near or far. Locally I have many people that say they will join me in my journey but would rather sit back and watch which isn't very helpful at all. I use to use that as an excuse that I have no one to support me, but I have some family & friends on MFP that are helping me and encouraging me to stay focused on MY goal. Granted I've only been on MFP for almost 3 weeks but I know that I have made the commitment to be the best that I can be and with the support of my family and friends I know I will succeed. You will too!

Good luck!
  • RobinRayn
    RobinRayn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Im not a mom but an adoring aunt and im doing this so I can take them to disney world and water parks! Plus for myself of course.