To my constipated friends! ;)

Options

Replies

• KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hey darlin I would suggest to you to buy some Smooth Move Tea instead. It's milder and works as an over night relief. It really does work and probably costs less. A plant based relief method vs. chemical. It's awesome. You can find it in the Tea isle of any grocery store. It's a medicinal tea.

The "Smooth Move Tea" is an herbal laxative tea. It has the same side effects as pharmaceutical laxatives. Like any stool softener/laxative they can become habit forming (ones digestive system becomes reliant on softeners/laxatives to have a bowel movement) I personally have tried "Smooth Move," Laci Le Beau's "Dieters Teas," as well as pure senna/casscara sagrada tea. Those cause a lot of cramping and undesired bloating and gas. I agree with you hon, Milk of Magnesia works like charm!!! Like anything moderation is key when using either "natural" or pharmaceutical.
  • jonpenn1
    jonpenn1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Most people don't know this but vitamin C works great as a laxative. Check out this link to read more about it, as always do your own research.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/constipation.html
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Add some prunes and flaxseeds to your protein mix.. you'll be pooping in no time! :bigsmile:

I have bad constipation (secret is out LOL) I drink tons of water and eat healthy nothing was helping. I was tired of turning to gut renching laxatives. I take a talblespoon of FlaxSeed Oil every morning, eat spinach and BAM Relief!! Most of my relief tricks are usually temporary but this one seems to be working. I also every few days take a couple Stool Sofners (doctor remcommended that one).
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    senna leaf tea.

natural herbal , no chemicals , many of the so called "diet teas" have it in there
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will try this because I always look bloated no matter what it seems!
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting and for all the tips. It's something I too struggle with and live with family members that just have to think about it and they go!!! I've been at functions where I've had to go out into the car and lie in pain until I could drive.

I will be trying these until I find what works best for me.

Thanks again,

Cindy
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I eat romaine lettuce every day almost and it does wonders. If I go more than 2 days without a salad, I get constipated.
  • g0ldenb0y55
    g0ldenb0y55 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just readng this thread makes me want to do the doo! =)
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    What ended up working for me is eliminating dairy and gluten. Sorry, I'm sure that's not exciting to hear, but it worked!

^^^^This (except for dairy)

For me, removing all grains from my diet and getting my fiber from nuts, fruits and veggies worked great. I don't believe in the "whole grains/added fiber" way of life. I don't do it, yet I'm 100% regular. Read about leaky gut syndrome and why eating grains are bad for your intestinal tract and lead to other health issues.
  • thomasblastind
    thomasblastind Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would recommended that every one be very careful. If these cures don't work go to the doctor and get checked out. I have had constipation issues since November and tried a lot of this stuff. Some of it worked but the issues always came back. I finally went to the doctor last week and found out I have a small bowel blockage. It could have turned really serious if I had not gone to get it checked out. Just my 2 cents.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Check your birth control. I found out an unpleasant side effect of the Mirena is constant constipation. :/ I too hate the laxative thing. I actually like the taste of prune juice, and was doing the gold bottle prune juice, half a cup a day. Cherry juice also helps but it is potent and really high carb. I eat chia seeds almost every day, I really think they help keep the intestines hydrated and lubricated. I really dont have trouble when I eat them regularly. I have them either in yogurt or home made kombucha. If you soak them in water they make a jelly kind of like jello, I like to add them to juice n stuff.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    magnesium-citrate-14056_1.jpg
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    coffee
  • amapril
    amapril Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Gnu fiber bars (gnufoods.com) are a good filling snack and have the added bonus to help alleviate the C problem. BUT drink LOTS of water. I do this and take Konsyl fiber supplement. The bars and Konsyl help reduce cholesterol too.

Each person is different so what works for one may or may not work for you.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    fresh juice from a juicer moves things along right away.
  • flegelalicia
    Options
    Thanks for everyones input! I am very curious though, for those of you who have cut gluten out of your diet. How hard was that for you guys? Did you get use to it quickly...but did it take a while to adjust. That sounds really extreme of a lifestyle change. Just wondering how you guys are adjusting to it. :)
    Thanks!
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This topic intersects with my professional life a lot. As a Pharmacist I can tell you that the "Lazy Bowel" odes happen. I have seen patients buying a 24 case of milk of mag, or citro-mag just to keep moving. Watch out.

Fibre- great bulk forming laxative - needs water! Convieniently also works with diarrhea as it can absorb some of the fluid in the colon and slow things down as well.
    Softeners (ie Docusate) - Watch out these just make stool softer, if too soft people can have issues where they run to diarrhea (or alternate constipation - diarrhea). Also if there isn't enough movement it can just sit there as well

Stimulant laxatives (Senna) - often combined with softeners but they do not have to be. While natural they do have potential adverse effects, read labels and if no relief in 2-3 days see a doctor.

Osmotic laxatives (Mag variety) - Works great! generally used for more serious issues. PROBLEM OF LAZY BOWELS!!!! If abused (ie used too much, used for wt loss...) the bowel becomes dependent on them to move, in some cases this does not reverse.

Others PEG (Lax -a-day, others) =-> has become the go to agent for our pain and palliative care teams. still have to avoid in use with obstruction but inert otherwise, draws additional water volume into bowel. seen great success with this.

All that said, remember that bodies do change over time. Regular can be anywhere from 3 times a day to some people 3 times a week. IF things become painful or uncomfortable by all means use a laxative, but use them sparingly.

Good luck
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid and that causes me the problem and pretty much nothing helps. I have tried pro biotics and laxatives. Sometimes even they don't work. If this is a new problem you may want to have your thyroid checked.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Exercise. Move those legs, move those arms. Bend and stretch at the waist.

That gets things moving when they don't want to. As well as eating well and drinking water, obviously.
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Probiotics and aloe has worked wonders for me
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!