How do you cook your fish?

Options
13»

Replies

• cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I love tilapia or any firmer white fish for tacos - In a piece of foil, I lay down a "bed" of sliced lemons or limes, top with the fish, sprinkle with taco seasoning and some thinly sliced onions, cover and seal well with another foil, grill or bake about 20 - 25 minutes or until its cooked through (depends on thickness of the fish). Serve on warm corn tortillas with shredded cabbage and call it dinner :D
  • cindymcd
    cindymcd Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have an epicure steamer that I use. It goes in the microwave. You can cook your whole meal in there in under 10 min! It's great! Seasonings I either do nothing and then dip it in a little ketchup or use Epicure's Lemon Dilly. I prefer haddock but sometimes eat salmon too. Maple salmon curry is delicious but not so light on the cals
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite baked fish recipe ever!
    http://www.lanascooking.com/2011/01/21/baked-catfish/

I also use it on salmon, pork and boneless, skinless chicken breast. Delicious!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Catch trout, slit up the belly, cut the head off, pull the guts, scrape the blood out (we call it the mud vein, not sure if that's accurate), rinse, then cook it up on a grill or in a pan with some oil. Season with nothing or lots of dill or bbq sauce.

For salmon, load it up with dill and bake it or pan fry it with oil and bbq sauce or dill.
  • Musicianess20
    Musicianess20 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love broiling mine. Cooks fairly quickly and with a small (and I do mean small) amount of canola oil and lemon pepper. It's always nice and tender. Happy cooking! :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I started poaching my swai/tilapias. I add nothing to it. HOWEVER, I make a really banging, spicy brown rice. I mix the fish into it and that gives it the FLAVA. The rice is cooked with coconut oil, but one serving is not bad and this way I'm not adding extra oil to the meal.

I like to spread the fats throughout the day.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Salmon I eatther grill (with no added fat, in a non stick pan or a grill pan) or make my own gravlax (you can find many recipies online). I serve it with veggies cokked or a salad.

White fish I generally use in stews rich in veggies.

If I have a big whole fish I put it in the oven, garnished with slices of lemon, some parsley and coarse salt.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    grill it on my foreman grill. I mostly do salmon.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Haddock or cod mainly - I eat fresh fish once a week every week. I cook it in a large non stick pan with water and some cream (I don't drink milk, but milk and water is better). I cook it until it begins to flake.
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Baked (I like to bake tomatoes with the fish because it's yummy) or pan fried (seasoned and with a sauce of lemon, fresh herbs, and a small amount of butter smashed together), paella or kedgeree (both BBC good food recipe), sushi/sashimi (I buy these)
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Diced up & Submerged In fresh Lime juice. In the FRIDGE!!!!!!:bigsmile:
    Once its done cooking in the fridge I chop up some
    Raw onion
    Tomato
    Cilantro
    Raw jalapeno and mix it all in!

Add salt to taste.

ceviche :flowerforyou: mmmmm

You know it babycakes!!!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    1. spray a cookie sheet and bake thawed or fresh fish. (you can back in a foil pouch, but i have yet to try it)

2. in a pan start sauteeing onion and tomatoes (and whatever other veggies) and then adding the tilapia and mixing until crumbles to put use as taco meat.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    bumping for me to look at later.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Some great recipes from the NY Times blog "Recipes for Health"

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/one-fish-two-fish/

This is the lede:

Everyone knows fish is good for you, but many of us get stuck eating the same varieties — tuna, cod, salmon and shrimp. This week Martha Rose Shulman explores the flavor and benefits of trying new types of fish.

This week I made five different fish dishes and did not use any of the favorite four. I turned, as I always do, to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch pocket guide (they also have an app) for advice about best choices and good alternatives, and bought my fish from a fishmonger at my farmers’ market, from Trader Joe’s, and from Whole Foods. I avoided farmed fish, especially farmed fish from far away. The species I cooked included local Pacific sole, mahi mahi, arctic char, and Pacific halibut. Other good seafood choices are clams and mussels, striped bass, sardines, and rainbow trout.
    Here are new recipes for cooking with fish.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    bump! I'm newly pescatarian (from vegetarian) and am enjoying reading these recipes. Thanks!

Also, I assume that first I would need to thaw all frozen fish before doing the aluminum foil cooking? (probably a stupid question, but I haven't cooked fish ever)