Gym Clothes - wish there were more t-shirt options

Replies

• jamiec87
    jamiec87 Posts: 7
    i love the old navy goga line for shirts. i bought a size bigger than i need in the moisture wicking v-necks. they fit great...and i feel covered up for my workout...
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    I wear plain basic t-shirts from TJ Maxx - solid color, light weight, and cheap.
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    I dont worry about the tops as much as the bottoms. I cant seem to find any that will fit over my backside. Some do but as soon as I start to move they start to fall. Its exasperating.

That happens to me during Zumba in the beginning, but once I start sweating, they stay up. Kinda gross, but it works if I get nice and sweaty, haha.
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    i dress like a boy when im at the gym a haha. baggy boys football shorts and a man tshirt. whenever theres someone there in a sports bra and tiny shorts im just like "put some bloody clothes on!"

I hate when women just wear a sports bra, not shirt on top. And they're always on the treadmill. No one wants to see you bouncing around in all your glory.. except maybe the creeps. I guess if that's the kind of attention you want, you choice.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    I sometimes get men's running t-shirts as they're looser fitting. I stick to tighter leggings since the baggy ones drive me crackers when I run!
  • getphit09
    getphit09 Posts: 24 Member
    I have several of the cutest workout pants but when it comes to a workout top - T-SHIRT please. I'm at the gym to get rid of my belly and muffin top - NO WAY will I wear the cute workout tops that shows the rolls, fat arms, etc. Anyone else have this problem? :-(

Try the men's dept for wick-away, cool comfort, workout t-shirts (short and long sleeves) ...the cut is looser than womens tops, just get a smaller size in mens. Just make sure not to get compression shirts. I got mine at Walmart in a variety of colors (cobalt blue, red, bright yellow, neon greenish yellow, light grey and dark grey - should have gotten white and black, but didn't.)
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    I love my Old Navy bubble hem top, but it's a tank. I don't like to workout in tsleeves, for the most part. Also, I like to lift in my bubble hem, and running is ok, but for stuff where I jump or yoga, I prefer tighter, more form-fitting stuff. It's just more comfortable to me, so sorry if my tight clothes offend on the rare occasions I go to the gym. ;)

Under Armour and Champion both make losse t-shirts along with their fitted and semi-fitted stuff. I'm pretty sure Target has some not super tight C9 stuff. Walmart carries the Danskin line that is looser, but it is more traditional t-shirt material, I think. If you don't want to moisture wickin material and don't care if it's a cotton shirt, why not just wear any plain old t-shirt?

Another vote for the ON bubble tanks. They're not at all form fitting and they are very comfy. However, if you're in a yoga or pilates class or working on pushups/planks, I find that form-fitting clothing can actually be more modest--there's no sagging and drooping, revealing everything underneath.

And I'll keep my dry-weave sleeveless tops and spandex capris, thank you. I'm much more concerned about keeping my body cool and baggy leggings out of equipment than I am about others' sensitivities.
  • frantny
    frantny Posts: 17 Member
    I dont worry about the tops as much as the bottoms. I cant seem to find any that will fit over my backside. Some do but as soon as I start to move they start to fall. Its exasperating.
    I have added drawstrings to several pairs of my gym pants.

I like Kohl's for their store brand Tek t-shirts, they arent too clingy, and a good bargain, especially if you get a %-off coupon.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Yes! Me! I have two cute tanks with sayings on them that I can sometimes pull off if I hike my yoga pants up over my muffin top! Haha! But normally it's shorts and a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off (probably my fav!). I don't like sleeves when I'm working out.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    i dress like a boy when im at the gym a haha. baggy boys football shorts and a man tshirt. whenever theres someone there in a sports bra and tiny shorts im just like "put some bloody clothes on!"

I hate when women just wear a sports bra, not shirt on top. And they're always on the treadmill. No one wants to see you bouncing around in all your glory.. except maybe the creeps. I guess if that's the kind of attention you want, you choice.

I people watch at times at the gym, while doing cardio, because it's boring. I often find it odd to see woman in really short shorts hop on the elliptical/treadmill, cellulite and all, and procede to workout with their butt cheeks poking out every so often. It seems so silly. It makes me laugh.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    JenMc14 - You are correct. Comments can be read as good or bad on the internet. Did not mean to hurt anyone. Just saying I need more t-shirts for the gym and all heck breaks loose on MFP. ha
    OkieTink - What are you talking about???? Guess you are feeling guilty about something. My comments were very accurate, thank you! ;-) *No need to be rude! :-P
    I agree, Nightterror21! I think the people wearing the revealing clothes are the ones trying to pick someone up. :-) Not me - I'm doing my thing, sweating, & trying to hide the fat that I do have. lol
    ]

If you were really doing your own thing, sweating, & trying to hide the fat that you have you wouldn't have time to be so judgemental ;)

Actually, your comments aren't completely accurate, do come off a bit judgey. That happens on the internet. I like to wear form fitting pants or shorter shorts (which do make me self-concious when stretching in public, but eff it) and tighter tanks. I wear super tight sports bras to keep the girls in place when I run, so there's a bit of cleve. I can assure you that on the few occasions a year when I get to work out at a gym, I am there to get work done, not get hit on. But, maybe you wouldn't consider my capri leggings or running shorts and tanks "revealing", it's hard to tell. But, I also, perhaps, judge a bit at those who wear sweats and long Ts, because, to me, how in the he!! can you actually get in a good workout in that without over heating!?! I will full on admit to judging anyone who comes in in jeans. ;) But, I mainly workout at home, getting judged by my cats while I squat in yoga pants and getting knocked over by my dog when doing yoga or floor work.
  • melissann23
    melissann23 Posts: 39 Member
    old navy, v-neck tees - I love them! they are super light & comfortable.
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    I took the bottom of one of my older workoutshirts, cut it off and sewed to the bottom of another shirt.
    It looks like a layered shirt & through luck, matches my workout pants.

The real question is why don't they make workout t's in longer lengths? I can find long workout tanks, but not t's.

I can't be the only one who wants a workoutshirt that covers my stomach when I'm doing jumping jacks, or overhead arm waving stuff.

Ha! I have the same problem with bicyling tops! I wear tees to workout in, but when your cycling all day, the cotton gets way stretched out...so you have the super tight super ugly jerseys that are cut to just your waist, or a sports bra, again cut to just your waist. Terry just began making tanks that cover your belly while bicycling, so maybe the fitness industry will catch on soon too!
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    I have the frumpiest gym clothes. When I reach closer to my goal, I plan to buy cuter outfits.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    My issue is I have plenty of t-shirts, but I get hot and want to wear a tank. I have a few fitness tanks but most are too 'clingy' due to the material. I did get 2 racer-back tanks from Walmart.com's athletic gear, for like $7. Those fit nicely.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    I work out at home, so I don't have the concern about how I look. I don't normally like form-fitting clothes, but I have found that when I'm doing Jillian's workout DVDs that I prefer tighter tops because they stay put and don't flop up when I'm doing certain moves.
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    I took the bottom of one of my older workoutshirts, cut it off and sewed to the bottom of another shirt.
    It looks like a layered shirt & through luck, matches my workout pants.

The real question is why don't they make workout t's in longer lengths? I can find long workout tanks, but not t's.

I can't be the only one who wants a workoutshirt that covers my stomach when I'm doing jumping jacks, or overhead arm waving stuff.

You are most definitely not the only one. . . . . count me in too!!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    I have several of the cutest workout pants but when it comes to a workout top - T-SHIRT please. I'm at the gym to get rid of my belly and muffin top - NO WAY will I wear the cute workout tops that shows the rolls, fat arms, etc. Anyone else have this problem? :-(

At time I wish people would wear t-shirts more. Sometimes people at the gym wear clothes that are too revealing.

^ I like this guy.

Try TJ Maxx athletic section. They have brand names, super soft dry weave, all sizes, and loose fitting tees and tanks in Nike, Reebok, Columbia, Avia...and it's well worth the difference over Wal*mart. The dry weave is so soft and you'll not want to take them off when you are finished working out. The quality is amazing. Take a bunch to the fitting room, and don't trust sizes. Buy what fits well and makes you feel confident. So worth it. Most tops are 10-15 and you only need your two absolute favorite most likely. It's like my favorite running shoes, I always want the same pair.

**To the person above, I feel like most of my running tops "pool" on my waist" and make me hot, but they don't make running clothes for "petite" people because I guess they figure it's just shorts and a shirt. Half-way through the run, I'm dying for lack of ventilation. I wonder why they don't make a nice dry weave running shirt that moves air through it, like Asics shoes?
  • I have several of the cutest workout pants but when it comes to a workout top - T-SHIRT please. I'm at the gym to get rid of my belly and muffin top - NO WAY will I wear the cute workout tops that shows the rolls, fat arms, etc. Anyone else have this problem? :-(

I tend to be very preppy, but one of my work out shirts is a plain v neck white cotton knit tshirt top from Ann Taylor. It's flattering, cute, shows off a hint of my clavicles especially while doing squats, and since I have it in an XL, it is getting more baggy as I am getting in better shape,
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I have several of the dry-wick t-shirts I've found at Target, Walmart, even thrift stores. I love them, they are light-weight, unlike cotton t-shirts, when you are sweaty, the shirts aren't heavy or pulling.