Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    They are in business and it is not a joke http://www.samoaair.ws/
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    But another issue could come up with the disparate impact of it- for example, if it is shown to have a significant impact on certain communities that are more "protected" than simply weight....I can think of a couple possibilities: What if accross the board, this ends up having a statistically significant impact on men? Or mothers? I can even envision race coming into play, as where I live in the greater DC area, statistically speaking the African American population is much heavier an average than the white DC population. (Silly hypo, of course, but) If this were a DC area airline you can BET it would affect one race much more than another.

Interesting thought. Disadvantaged minorities definitely struggle with weight more thanks to food deserts, poor education, ect.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I think it makes a lot of sense.

Indeed.

This is Samoa. These are (usually) turbo-prop airplanes.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    NOTE TO SELF: When you reach goal weight take a flight somewhere on Samoa airlines without luggage. Should be cheap for petite me, fit hubby, and small child to vacation wherever they fly. Then should be cheap to buy some cool duds there, since we always end up doing that anyway buying all the tacky gift shop tees, hats, jackets we can fit in the luggage, lol. Then bring new duds home in lightweight hefty bags. Thanks weird weight based pricing plan. My next vacation will be totally guided by this.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    This is AWESOME for me! I think it's "fare"!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Does that mean I'll get to stop sharing my seat with whoever is sitting next to me?

Yeah, if you are paying per pound, you should be accommodated comfortably regardless of your size.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've never flown this particular airline, but flying in general has gotten ridiculous. People of any size are bringing 100+lbs in their carry on to put in the overhead bin so that they don't have to pay the overweight baggage fees. And with airlines charging baggage fees in general, almost everyone is trying to do a carry on which is causing delays on board as everyone tried to jam things overhead. While they want to carry on the largest bag they can get away with, no one wants to put it under the seat in front of them. They also want to store their coats, and largely over-sized purses up there, too, and don't want anyone else's stuff touching theirs. Oh not to mention how it takes everyone twice as long to get through security now because of all the extra stuff they are trying to juggle. If it was all by weight, hopefully it would alleviate some of the pre-flight nonsense.

Seriously .... I fly pretty often and I can't believe how much crap people bring with them. I can easily get a week's worth of clothing in a bag small enough to fit under my seat. And I've spent far too much time pressed up against some sweaty stranger that's using half my seat in addition to their own. I like this idea very much (charging by weight, not being smashed against sweaty strangers .... not that that doesn't have it's time and place.)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    that's sexist
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Here's what most of their planes look like people

samoa-air.jpg

Because they do this...

Inter_Island_Air_samoa.gif

Why is everyone acting like this is some major international carrier...this is island hopping and weight happens to be a big deal.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You have to pay for overweight bags, so why not overweight people?

Absolutely. I think its about time people starting being accountable for themselves. A 150lb person would have to pay an extra charge for their bags being a few pounds over the limit, right? Yet a 400lb person with no extra luggage pays less?

Obesity isn't something people 'can't help,' its not a disability. We all have a choice.
  • airwaybetty
    Options
    Good! This is a wonderful idea. It will promote self awareness, and hopefully, change. People who are overweight by choice (i.e. laziness, poor eating habits, etc.) will now how the extra push to lose that weight if they want to avoid airfare fees. Besides, I have no sympathy for lazy overweight people who take no initiative. They have brought these extra fees on not only themselves, but others who have weight issues due to genetics, medication, thyroid issues, diabetes, and myriad physiological issues that are serious enough to actually prevent people from maintaining a healthy weight. All airlines should begin adding these fees. Its not prejudiced, its for the greater good.
  • titanbonnie
    Options
    The small airline started that they charge by weight, because they are fairly small-few person planes.
  • titanbonnie
    Options
    Thank. You. Someone who knows what they are talking about before they put their fingers to the keys.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think the only people who would be offended by this are the overly obese. If they only charged by the pound and nothing else, people would get cheap flights.

Exactly. I'm flying air somoa!

Nah. Even when I'm petite, I'm ashamed to be weighed in front of anyone. I just hope they leave the results in front of me and for their information. I'm pretty sure though it's gonna be logged somewhere right next to my name. Just one more piece of personal information about me over which I'll have no control. Hopefully, they won't slippery slope to end up advertising on the overhead screens that my flight was cancelled due to one person in particular underestimating her weight, and weighing too much for the plane to safely take off and have a picture of my big old face next to it or my name on the flight departure screen. Just information after all, you know. It's not like typos ever happen or the wrong information ever ends up in the wrong places by accident.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I think it's fair (although I would be thoroughly embarrassed! lol) It's nothing personal against larger people, it's a safety issue. You NEED to know how much weight you're carrying on such a small plane.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Given the high % of samoans who are obese + a small airline which needs to survive, I think it's fair.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    This is another typical news story that will over sensualize an issue that will cause uproar. Airline charging by weight WTF? Immediately people picture themselves at JFK standing on a scale with luggage to get their ticket. First no major airline would consider the folly of actually weighing its passengers. This is about a small regional airline that offers taxi service (island hopping). These are twin propeller, three seater Cessna’s with a couple nine seaters. I’ve traveled on a small regional Alaskan airline and they even move the passengers and luggage around to better balance the plane in flight. If you ever boarded and flew in one of these weight becomes a concern. The singer Aaliyah with her entourage and equipment was overweight by 300kg in a Cessna which crashed.

Thank you! I wish people would effing read before they make comments.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Here's what most of their planes look like people

samoa-air.jpg

Because they do this...

Inter_Island_Air_samoa.gif

Why is everyone acting like this is some major international carrier...this is island hopping and weight happens to be a big deal.

And this.