How Many Calories did you burn "Cleaning House" last week?

Options

Replies

• badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning, even when rigorous. It's just an added deficit bonus :)
    Also, things like walking to and from work, and cleaning help me go easier on myself if I ever have a day where I am slightly over my goal.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who doesnt log these sort of calories?
    Neither do i log long walks.

I plan to log them, but I just started yesterday. They are in the exercise diary, so I will log them.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Q1. - Do you track your House Cleaning as Exercise? Yes or No
    Q2 - How Many Calories did you burn "Cleaning House" last week? :smile:

your daily caloric requirement be that 1600 calories, (more or less according to your calculations) is the number of calories needed to sustain your body and it's vital functions throughout the day even if your completely sedentary....so, I say yes, and my friend who is a fitness professional agrees as well, deep cleaning would count. all those little calories add up over the day.

I log mine.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I wonder why MFP has it a an fitness option if it isn't considered exercise?
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    are u serious.....I'm overweight and I clean my house all the time....log everything you eat...thats more important
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't log wiping down the counter or that sort of thing that takes seconds. But I would log a proper cleaning session that lasts over half an hour and includes vacuuming, mopping the floors, and a lot of other activities. Basically, if I've spent my afternoon cleaning, I'm putting it down somewhere!
  • VpinkLotus
    Options
    I don't log wiping down the counter or that sort of thing that takes seconds. But I would log a proper cleaning session that lasts over half an hour and includes vacuuming, mopping the floors, and a lot of other activities. Basically, if I've spent my afternoon cleaning, I'm putting it down somewhere!

yuuuup...
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I use exhaustion as my guide. :wink: If I'm totally pooped after I do it, I log it. You can log shopping (depending on your weight, you can log an average of 200 calories per hour), "toddler care" (believe it or not, you burn anywhere from 100 to 300 extra calories per HOUR!) or cleaning.

It doesn't replace full-fledged cardio (I do that too) but it enables you to eat a bit more to cover the calories burned from unusual activity. I don't usually eat all of my exercise calories from any activity though--in order to cover me for any error in measurement of food or activity. :smile:
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    None... My cleaner did it! :wink:

Lol, yes same for me
    And my boyfriend did the rest... :)
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I use exhaustion as my guide. :wink: If I'm totally pooped after I do it, I log it. You can log shopping (depending on your weight, you can log an average of 200 calories per hour), "toddler care" (believe it or not, you burn anywhere from 100 to 300 extra calories per HOUR!) or cleaning.

It doesn't replace full-fledged cardio (I do that too) but it enables you to eat a bit more to cover the calories burned from unusual activity. I don't usually eat all of my exercise calories from any activity though--in order to cover me for any error in measurement of food or activity. :smile:

Oh yes, shopping. That's a good one, I'm in the UK and I can walk into town, walk round the stores, walk home, all carrying bags. I've covered miles this way!
  • DanaMcCrea
    DanaMcCrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning when I scrub my floors - on my hands and knees with a scrub brush. The tiles in the house we live in are not sealed so I have to scrub them a few times a month. I end up nasty, sweaty and TIRED! It will usually take a few hours to do this so I log that.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I log shopping as walking sometimes if it was over a half hour of constant walking. I used to be pretty sedentary so every little bit counts for me.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options

This. Since I absolutely HATE cleaning. especially since I am set at 1200 calories a day, I like to be able to eat at least 1400 calories a day. So a win win for me. Its motivation to clean. But it has to be a solid for real cleaning session.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

Q1. - Do you track your House Cleaning as Exercise? Yes or No
    Q2 - How Many Calories did you burn "Cleaning House" last week? :smile:
    Q1: No
    Q2: 200 est. (but I don't log anything.)
  • VpinkLotus
    Options
    My situation is not just your avaerage "cleaning." I have 5 extremley messy peeps in my house. Plus a stinky shedding dog. The person who cleans up after all the messy butts from sun up til sun down, is
    <---- this girl. When I'm done I'm sweaty, exauhsted and I don't need anyone to tell me it's a workout. Because in my world it just is. My HRM tells me so and my body tells me so. also my scale tells me so because I log it, eat it back and Lose weight I think everyone's situation is different, I can't expect people who live alone or who have cleaners to understand what it's like for me. So I make my own rules. Figuring out what works for you is the name of this game.
  • littlebre33
    littlebre33 Posts: 318
    Options
    I don't usually log my cleaning as calories even though I wish I could. I have a 3 year old and a 7 month and a very messy husband, so I clean at least 2-3 hours a day minimum. Best of luck!!
  • HealedWholeLoved
    HealedWholeLoved Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The trend I have noticed is that people who are fat try to count everything as exercise to make an excuse for why they didn't get on a treadmill or lift weights.

I live in the South, in a 40 year old building & don't want my neighbors bugs. I agree with you about light housekeeping. But, if someone is 100 lbs. overweight scrubbing the floors, vacuuming, mopping & steaming can really work up a sweat.

AndI did move a Super Sized Washer & Dry Set, a Refrigerator, a Stove, a large dresser and a Queen Size Bed ... and put them back into place. I probably should have list that under Strength Training!!

Please note: I'm not intending to increase my calorie intake. I just want a perspective on the number of calories burnt.

Happy Trails to You :flowerforyou:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    None. That's part of tdee.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope!!! I do real exercises!! :bigsmile:
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't do cleaning "sessions'. I hate cleaning so I do it in putter around mode - a bit here, a bit there in passing. Clean a sink, mop a floor, dust some furniture, clean the range hood, strip beds, laundry as I see it needs it. I am retired so I just fit it in here and there around the rest of my life.

By the way, I object to the fitness afficionados who figure if it isn't extreme, doesn't involve a gym, weights , special workout gear or cardio equipment, its not exercise. For thousands of years life was exercise. Walking a couple of miles to town and carrying back 20 punds of groceries was exercise, garden work, house cleaning etc. was exercise. Our grandparents and great grandparents were fit without ever using a gym or running (without being chased!). Active is active. (Not athletic perhaps, not fitness model ripped, but healthy.)