Yummy "Baked Potato"

Options

Replies

• tracyschreier
    tracyschreier Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's been such a long time since I've seen a flame war. Not that this meets criteria...yet. But yeah, I've sure missed message boards since Facebook's been crammed down our throats. Love all of you, especially OP...WHO HAD THE GUTS!!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Are we talking yams or sweet potatoes? I need to know because knowing is half the battle.
  • mk_hammer
    mk_hammer Posts: 105
    Options
    I really don't understand why everyone is getting all butthurt about this.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Sometimes there are topics that just crack me up and this is one of them.

A potato is a vegetable and is a healthy source of nutrition and fibre...I would imagine (I have not done research) but if you eat container loads of them each day you may have a problem??

It is always a good thing to add recipes to help others with nutrition and healthy alternatives but please don`t alienate the good potato?

Want a moment of zen?

A potato is a vegetable because it is a root. Then what is jicama? Huh huh? You see you see moment of zen.
  • Theresa5066
    Options
    How about "Holly Cow"? LOL!!! How about we just say..."thank you for the post and the idea. Some other options to consider....(see above about nutruitional value and things to consider about white potatoes)" Feel like she may be getting a bit more lash back for her comment on "naughty" then necessary. Like all your ideas though! Thank you!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    All I put on my spuds now is cottage cheese, chopped green onion or chives, and a little Salad Supreme (which admittedly has a lot of sodium).
  • ravenwork
    ravenwork Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Moment of enlightenment: A potato is tuber, not a root.

Moment of zen: What is the sound of one potato clapping?
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do this too! I like the lite garlic and herb on the regular baked potato and I really like the Cinnamon Cream on the sweet potato!:smile:
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I want to try this, Yummy
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Wow, interesting comments.

As a diabetic who doesn't use insulin, I don't generally eat potato. For those that aren't as affected by the starch - eat your potato *IF* it fits into your macronutrient and caloric requirements.

If a potato covered in full-fat butter, sour cream, cheese, chives and and real bacon bits fits into your caloric and macronutrient requirements, by all means enjoy that too.

Potatoes aren't anyone's "enemy" - though those with glycemic issues such as diabetes/insulin-resistance should watch their carb intake - any more than fat and protein are anyone's enemies.
  • Erod1972
    Erod1972 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    OK, To add to this debate. After doing some research, A white baked potato has a Glycemic Index (GI) number of 98. While a Sweet Potato has a GI# of 44. To put things into perspective, sucrose (table sugar) has a GI# of 84. So if you want a fast insulin dump (in which excess is stored as fat) then eat all the "taters" you want..
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    White potatoes aren't "naughty", FFS. Neither is butter nor sour cream!

Where does being so uptight and weird about perfectly healthy foods get you? If you're not allergic or dealing with some other health issue related to the food in question, and you want to eat a certain food, just eat it. Don't get sucked into some weird mindset that certain whole foods (we are talking about whole foods here, remember) are somehow holier, cleaner, or more magickal than others. They aren't. Be happy, chill out, and eat the damned food.

:huh:
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    OK, To add to this debate. After doing some research, A white baked potato has a Glycemic Index (GI) number of 98. While a Sweet Potato has a GI# of 44. To put things into perspective, sucrose (table sugar) has a GI# of 84. So if you want a fast insulin dump (in which excess is stored as fat) then eat all the "taters" you want..
    Yes, the glycemic index of baked white (russet are the highest) vs. a yam/sweet potato is much higher...

But even in hyperinsulinemia (high serum insulin levels) you still need an excess of glucose to have it be stored as fat... That's pretty-basic biochemistry.

(For those with metabolic syndrome or other reason to be insulin-resistant, the problem is that this insulin high is followed by an insulin and glucose low, which stimulates hunger - often resulting in eating more... but it's still about excess calories.)
  • cherikdavis
    cherikdavis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Be informative...Not rude! Sounds like a junior high class in here!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Welcome to a forum.
  • cherikdavis
    cherikdavis Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Welcome to a forum.
    Thank ya! ;)
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Moment of enlightenment: A potato is tuber, not a root.

Moment of zen: What is the sound of one potato clapping?

If tuber is to potato then tuba is to...

I know mind altering
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Insulin is NOT stored as fat. Sugar might be but you'd have to eat a whole lot more than what is in a potato, considering that the body uses it first. Sugars and particularly carbs are only a concern if your body cannot produce insulin, or in most cases, does not produce enough. There is sooooo much misinformation out there about insulin.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

You'll get used to that haha :laugh:
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    no food is on my naughty list, including white potatoes....

ive lost 149lbs...go figure?!?!