Strength training for runners

Options
13»

Replies

• Rpeat1
    Rpeat1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There's some good advice on here.

If you're doing a weekly hill/speed session your legs will be getting a pretty decent workout but core and upper body work are good supplements.

If you're running anything more than 20k for weekly runs/races, and especially if looking at marathon or beyond then you should be looking far less at gaining muscle and focus on changing muscular composition. This will help with endurance whereas bulking will do the opposite.
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options

If you're running anything more than 20k for weekly runs/races, and especially if looking at marathon or beyond then you should be looking far less at gaining muscle and focus on changing muscular composition. This will help with endurance whereas bulking will do the opposite.

How do you change muscular composition?
  • lawna73
    lawna73 Posts: 6
    Options
    My focus has been more on running but I do 2 strength training sessions a week at the gym. I do the machines in a circuit fashion. One set without a break between exercises. After reading all the wonderful ideas here, I may change this up a bit.
  • Rpeat1
    Rpeat1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Its where high reps low weight comes in. That'll increase the density of capillaries in the muscle and promote mitochondrial growth.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do a body weight centered workout, it's quick & effective.
    It's a mix & match of squats, lunges, jump squats, pistol squats, split squats, step ups, and box jumps. Upper body is push ups, pull ups, dips, overhead presses.
    Then various ab work. Plank, hanging leg raises, v-ups, boat pose, hollow body hold.

all of these - also check out nerdfitness.com, they have great at home workouts you can do, no equipment needed!
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I just asked a similiar question. I'll have to read your responses later tonight :happy:
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Billsica - thanks for the link to StrongRunner! Great site and lots of great info.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I do Brazil Butt LIft with very heavy weights as my cross training, it's strong in butt and leg work as well as a great ab routine and an upper body routine that i use heavy weights or a 25lb kettlebell for. I just skip the cardio part of the program as I don't need it when running.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw81.htm

I do the routine outlined here. None of the days take more than 30 minutes and sometimes I will combine two days into one. I also run 4 days a week and do other cardio 3 times a week.
  • sidegrinder
    sidegrinder Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do squats, lunges, leg press, leg extensions and curls, and calve raises. Takes about 40 min. Twice a week, once heavy/once lighter. This will really toughen up your legs and help them hold up to the punishment of running--great preventative maintenance!
  • lilibean01
    lilibean01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    First of all, smart move to think about incorporating strength training! It will help with injury prevention, speed, power, balance, and endurance depending on what kind of strength training you do.

I'm a distance junkie who does mostly 1/2 marathons but I'm looking to chase after my 2nd full marathon this year and continue to do full marathons in the future. When I'm on extremely stressful parts of my training (very long runs or intense speed work sessions) I don't lift as much, though. I do continue strength training, but I don't aim to add more weight or do more reps.

I'm currently on a cycle to build both speed and power, and I do a combination of the Runner's World "Strength Exercises to Make You Run Faster" + additional squats, calf raises, and hamstring curls. The RW exercises are here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/strength-exercises-help-you-run-faster

Injury prevention exercises are different. Things like picking up objects with your toes, hopping on one foot, one leg squats, etc. But if you're injury prone, it would be worth looking up some exercises.

Don't forget about your upper body, too. The purpose of the rotating moves in the RW exercises is to help build core stability with leg motion so that you can keep your posture and form with all the rotating forces when you run. You should do chest, back, arms, and core strength training in addition to lower body.
  • lilibean01
    lilibean01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Its where high reps low weight comes in. That'll increase the density of capillaries in the muscle and promote mitochondrial growth.

Agreed. This is important, especially for distance running. Think of your mitochondria as your energy converters (you want lots of those) and capillaries as the highways for oxygen to get to your muscles (more pathways means more oxygen your muscles can use). This overall increases your max VO2 (maximum oxygen consumption/aerobic capacity).
  • angbieb
    Options
    Thanks Everybody! With all these ideas I can mix it up a bit!
    I know a lot of other runners were following this thread for ideas so I wanted to post some information that tufel (MFP member) sent me in a message because is it AWESOME! And it's not posted here...it looks like a fantastic ST workout and best of all you can do it at home!! Here's the URL...

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/ironstrength-workout. Make sure you don't include the period when you copy and paste! I'm so excited because this is exactly what I've been looking for! I'm going to do it today and shoot for 3 x's a week and I'm hoping I can get someone to do it with me so we can share results...I want my behind to look like this:
    1899e609-8967-42eb-af4d-83b321836167_zpsc9fa52e4.jpg

Anyone want to do it with me?
    Who's with me????:heart:
  • angbieb
    Options
    First of all, smart move to think about incorporating strength training! It will help with injury prevention, speed, power, balance, and endurance depending on what kind of strength training you do.

I'm a distance junkie who does mostly 1/2 marathons but I'm looking to chase after my 2nd full marathon this year and continue to do full marathons in the future. When I'm on extremely stressful parts of my training (very long runs or intense speed work sessions) I don't lift as much, though. I do continue strength training, but I don't aim to add more weight or do more reps.

I'm currently on a cycle to build both speed and power, and I do a combination of the Runner's World "Strength Exercises to Make You Run Faster" + additional squats, calf raises, and hamstring curls. The RW exercises are here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/strength-exercises-help-you-run-faster

Injury prevention exercises are different. Things like picking up objects with your toes, hopping on one foot, one leg squats, etc. But if you're injury prone, it would be worth looking up some exercises.

Don't forget about your upper body, too. The purpose of the rotating moves in the RW exercises is to help build core stability with leg motion so that you can keep your posture and form with all the rotating forces when you run. You should do chest, back, arms, and core strength training in addition to lower body.

Thanks lilbean! Another great workout! I think I will alternate the two!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everybody! With all these ideas I can mix it up a bit!
    I know a lot of other runners were following this thread for ideas so I wanted to post some information that tufel (MFP member) sent me in a message because is it AWESOME! And it's not posted here...it looks like a fantastic ST workout and best of all you can do it at home!! Here's the URL...

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/ironstrength-workout. Make sure you don't include the period when you copy and paste! I'm so excited because this is exactly what I've been looking for! I'm going to do it today and shoot for 3 x's a week and I'm hoping I can get someone to do it with me so we can share results...I want my behind to look like this:
    1899e609-8967-42eb-af4d-83b321836167_zpsc9fa52e4.jpg

Anyone want to do it with me?
    Who's with me????:heart:

That butt belongs to MFP user iuliamad, and she is a lifter more than she is a runner AFAIK. PRETTY sure you'll have better luck getting that from high intensity lifting than running.
  • angbieb
    Options

That butt belongs to MFP user iuliamad, and she is a lifter more than she is a runner AFAIK. PRETTY sure you'll have better luck getting that from high intensity lifting than running.

I know...I asked her about it and a lot of the exercises (lunges, squats x 3 times per week) is part of what she does for her workout routine and they are included in this workout as well!

That's too funny! :heart:
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    What kind of running?

I'm running a half-marathon in September...maybe sooner, if I can find one I like!:smile:

Oh and I was also going to ask...stronglifts 5X5..is that just 5 different weight lifts?

http://stronglifts.com/

For distance running, building strength isn't going to have the same kind of direct benefits that it would for say, sprints. It's still definitely a good thing to build up for overall fitness and physique. Loft's suggestion is solid. Pick a beginner program, but dial back the intensity/frequency a bit so that it doesn't interfere with your running.

+1 for stronglifts. It's not "strength training for runners", but it's a great beginners weights program.
    I run and do SL5x5, 6 days a week (3 run, 3 lift) it works well.