I HATE EATING AFTER THE GYM

Options
2»

Replies

• O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Healthy lifestyle is 80% nutrition. You are working way to hard at the gym. If you overdo it then it can backfire on you and you won't see the results. I eat before and after going to the gym. When I ran a marathon they were giving us chocolate milk afterwards to replenish- you might want to try that.
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Had a feeling it was psychological.

Eating dinner didn't make you fat. Not exercising and eating crap is what makes you fat. When you are doing high intensity workouts like that, you need to eat afterwards. Your body needs those nutrients to repair itself. You will never get properly fit if you starve yourself after workouts. You may drop some weight, but you will not look good and you definitely won't be healthy or gain any strength. Select good prepared foods for dinner(not boxed processed junk) but good whole natural foods and eat way up, easily eat 1000 calories after a workout like you're talking about if that is really how much you're burning and you will definitely see your measurements shrink and the weight start to come off
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I ate a slice of strawberry cheesecake after yesterdays workout. Mm, it was delicious. I deserved it, and it fit my calories and macros of the day :)

eta. Usually I just have a protein shake after though. Or nothing.. I workout at night, and Im usually still full from earlier.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I eat anything that fits within my macros. Yesterday it was a cinnamon roll.

But seriously? You spend 2-3 hours at the gym and an hour of that is cardio (I'm guessing because you say your burning 1100 calories) and you're surprised that you hungry when you get out?

What do you think is fueling your workouts?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Could you repeat the question? I am not sure I understand.......It sounds like you said...

I go to the gym for 2-3 hours.
    then I go home and eat dinner
    I hate eating dinner
    what would you suggest I eat instead?
  • bfpower
    bfpower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 ounces of water for every 20-30 minutes I spend at the gym (my workouts are 75-90 minutes); that helps me feel a little less ravenous. When I get home I eat brown rice and stir fry of some sort (last night it was zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms, and pinto beans with Sriracha satay sauce (sounds weird but it was awesome). The sauce was not normal; usually I do soy sauce.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I burn about the same amount of cals daily doing cardio as you. I'm starving when I get home and resort back to caveman mentality. Give me a big friggin steak or something. No, I don't always eat that, but that is what I want. Think devouring food..... I probably grunt also. lol

AS other have said, I don't really get what you're getting at. Your body needs food, so feed it!
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I feel like I put in so much work just to eat and look fat again.... I think is psycological at this point. hahaha :laugh:

That's a scary way to think and very similar to the thinking of someone with an eating disorder. Eating when you're hungry is NOT what caused you to become overweight in the first place. You feel hungry after a workout because your body needs fuel - fuel it!
  • iBreatheMusic88
    Options
    Because I like think Im over it eating because with the things that are cooked for dinner I have to ball park the calories if they are not listed, which makes me think that Im not eating enough, or over doing it. I try to save about 500 calories for when I get home after the gym just in case, But we all know how easy it is to go over that about. I try to just eat like a orange or something but it never pans out. lol Idk at this point I think its a mental thing, I would just hate to have burned 1100 or so calories just to eat up 800, including the 500 or so that I saved for dinner. I over think alot you guys so excuse me. lol
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you were gaining or losing weight too fast.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I felt a little bit wobbly after my workout today. I'd obviously exercised beyond what was already in my body from breakfast, so I owed my body some fuel.

I repaid it by having a snack bar with pumpkin seeds and things in it and then I ate good things when I got home.

Maybe try and think of it as you're owing your body for working hard, rather than undoing good work?
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Well, you need to eat to fuel those workouts. That's a really intense output everyday. You'll undo your progress faster by not eating than if you eat something solidly nutritious to take care of your body. Planning is key. Pre-track whenever you can. It's not UNDOING your activity - you're honoring it and ensuring that you can keep going with it.

A peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk would be one option - protein, sugar, whole grains, etc. A good balance and not too heavy later in the evening.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to eat after the gym, I start off really hungry but get full very quickly! Annoys me I can't eat more ! I have to wait a while then have a high protein snack later on
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have whey protein after, then about an hour or two after the whey, I eat a big meal.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I workout for 45 minutes to an hour every day after work. I am STARVING when I'm done. I drink a simple protein shake when I'm done (just some water and whey protein) and go home and eat dinner. Then I end up having to still find snacks to get enough calories for the day.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I hear you i usually just eat something small
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Oh someone posted a good thing about why you are so hungry after swimming one of it has to do with the colder water temperature.

The only thing that would work for me before a swim was a very thick shake. Peanut butter and banana w/ flax oil.
  • sarahnull07
    sarahnull07 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just a protein shake. I usually can't eat after a workout. So I drink it. Then I'll usually eat around 3 hours later.

Im the same I make a banana peanut butter whey protein shake and dont eat again for 3-4 hours
  • sevenbabies
    sevenbabies Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Workout in the morning but it usually kills my appetite. I make myself have eggs and whole grain toast or the toast w/ nut butter and a green smoothie. Light but nutritious. What will " undo" your workout is not eating and screwing up your metabolism.