Yummy "Baked Potato"

Options

Replies

• jessicaclairel
    Options
    <
    Eating a giant baked Russet Potato with Steak tonight. Nobody puts taters on the naughty list.

Just like nobody puts Baby in a corner?
  • jessicaclairel
    Options
    I love russet potatoes.

I never knew they were naughty.

I had a small russet potato that was 110 calories. I did not know that was naughty.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Potato is not the enemy unless you eat restaurant sized potatoes that would feed a family of four in a developing country, or slather them with a ton of fatty goodness. Try this : one Small to Medium potato, baked (eat the skin its high fiber, tastes good and has a load of nutrients right underneath it). Top it with a dollop of non fat Greek yogurt and another dollop of chunky, spicy salsa.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I hate sweet potatoes

Blasphemy!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes are bad? Is this a joke?
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
  • tracyschreier
    tracyschreier Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow, interesting comments.

As a diabetic who doesn't use insulin, I don't generally eat potato. For those that aren't as affected by the starch - eat your potato *IF* it fits into your macronutrient and caloric requirements.

If a potato covered in full-fat butter, sour cream, cheese, chives and and real bacon bits fits into your caloric and macronutrient requirements, by all means enjoy that too.

Potatoes aren't anyone's "enemy" - though those with glycemic issues such as diabetes/insulin-resistance should watch their carb intake - any more than fat and protein are anyone's enemies.

I swear, you are like the smartest person in the universe.
  • Erod1972
    Erod1972 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    OK, To add to this debate. After doing some research, A white baked potato has a Glycemic Index (GI) number of 98. While a Sweet Potato has a GI# of 44. To put things into perspective, sucrose (table sugar) has a GI# of 84. So if you want a fast insulin dump (in which excess is stored as fat) then eat all the "taters" you want..

Insulin is NOT stored as fat. Sugar might be but you'd have to eat a whole lot more than what is in a potato, considering that the body uses it first. Sugars and particularly carbs are only a concern if your body cannot produce insulin, or in most cases, does not produce enough. There is sooooo much misinformation out there about insulin.

OK I didn't want to get all nerdy on everyone but ..taken from How stuff works:

Fat Storage
    In the last section, we learned how fat in the body is broken down and rebuilt into chylomicrons, which enter the bloodstream by way of the lymphatic system.
    Chylomicrons do not last long in the bloodstream -- only about eight minutes -- because enzymes called lipoprotein lipases break the fats into fatty acids. Lipoprotein lipases are found in the walls of blood vessels in fat tissue, muscle tissue and heart muscle.
    Insulin
    When you eat a candy bar or a meal, the presence of glucose, amino acids or fatty acids in the intestine stimulates the pancreas to secrete a hormone called insulin. Insulin acts on many cells in your body, especially those in the liver, muscle and fat tissue. Insulin tells the cells to do the following:
    Absorb glucose, fatty acids and amino acids
    Stop breaking down glucose, fatty acids and amino acids; glycogen into glucose; fats into fatty acids and glycerol; and proteins into amino acids
    Start building glycogen from glucose; fats (triglycerides) from glycerol and fatty acids; and proteins from amino acids
    The activity of lipoprotein lipases depends upon the levels of insulin in the body. If insulin is high, then the lipases are highly active; if insulin is low, the lipases are inactive.
    The fatty acids are then absorbed from the blood into fat cells, muscle cells and liver cells. In these cells, under stimulation by insulin, fatty acids are made into fat molecules and stored as fat droplets."

.The last line of this quote pretty much says...what I first said...research it yourself if you like... insulin IS stored as fat.. A plain white baked potato has a very high GI so yes..it will spike your insulin levels, and yes it will make you more hungry, and yes you do have a higher chance of it creating excess insulin which as I stated...well jut see above. However you CAN slow down the absorption process into the blood stream (glycogen levels) by eating them with a protein and/or fat. (Preferably a healthy fat though, like a medium chain triglyceride like coconut oil. Or a poly-unsaturated fat like almond butter)
  • Erod1972
    Erod1972 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    OK, To add to this debate. After doing some research, A white baked potato has a Glycemic Index (GI) number of 98. While a Sweet Potato has a GI# of 44. To put things into perspective, sucrose (table sugar) has a GI# of 84. So if you want a fast insulin dump (in which excess is stored as fat) then eat all the "taters" you want..
    Yes, the glycemic index of baked white (russet are the highest) vs. a yam/sweet potato is much higher...

But even in hyperinsulinemia (high serum insulin levels) you still need an excess of glucose to have it be stored as fat... That's pretty-basic biochemistry.

(For those with metabolic syndrome or other reason to be insulin-resistant, the problem is that this insulin high is followed by an insulin and glucose low, which stimulates hunger - often resulting in eating more... but it's still about excess calories.)

Yes, true but if a white potato has a 98, and table sugar (which will spike your levels BTW) has a 84... wouldn't is be safe to surmise that eating JUST a white potato with nothing to counteract the GI levels like a protein or fat would indeed spike your level?. Most of the diabetics I know avoid white rice and white potatoes like the plague for just that reason...well they don't produce insulin but...you know what I mean.

Oh and see my post ^ for more about "pretty basic bio-chemistry" :laugh:
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    For those of us on the watch for glycemic index ratings of foods the potato IS on the "naughty" list. A baked potato has a glycemic index of 76. People wanting to eat foods that have a low GI rating shoot for ratings under 55. White potatoes, behave more like simple sugars, breaking down quickly into glucose and causing a sharp insulin response. Selecting foods with lower GI levels promotes normal blood sugar levels, and enables the body to stay in a fat burning mode. The GI of a small to medium sweet potato, boiled, is 46.
  • Darfortyeight
    Options
    I like your idea and for me, im trying to like sweet potatoes. I was reading farther down and i do need to be careful with glycemic foods so thanks for the tips.:smile:
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I love a jacket potato. I have a large one will chilli and cheese or tuna and sweetcorn. Oh and loads of butter.
  • pnubn1
    pnubn1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I dont agree with "potatoes cause you to eat more". Yesterday I hadn't eaten anything, at approximately 12:15 pm...I popped a large (very large) potato in the oven. Two hours later, it was on my plate..cut open..piping hot..with loads of creamy butter, bacon bits, salt and pepper.

I could barely finish it..but damn, I did...and I loved every bit of it. I was so stuffed..I didn't wanna look at food for the rest of the day....and I didn't. That one potato kept me satisfied all day. I logged in at 624 calories yesterday...including coffee, sugarfree creamer, and stevia.

Most people would say..that wasn't enough calories....but I say it definitely was. It was incredibly delicious..filling...and it DIDN'T cause me to eat more.

Potatoes are heavenly ♡♥♡
  • lisamac62
    lisamac62 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Obviously baked potatoes are on the naughty list for those of us trying to eat right and make every calorie count from a nutrition standpoint. I found a great alternative, and it can make an easy lunch too.

Bake a sweet potato or yam just like you would a regular Russet potato.
    Instead of butter and sour cream, top it with a couple of wedges of Laughing Cow cheese. It gets all melty just like butter, and gives it a creamy texture and flavor. Sweet potatoes and yams are in the good part of the glycemic index, so they're considered "good" carbs.

Calories: 170
    Fat; 4 grams

I had it with some cut up turkey, and it almost tased like Thanksgiving!

Really easy to bake more than one at night for lunches the rest of the week. Microwave it first, add the cheese after it's hot. Pretty darn satisfying for 170 calories.

I love baked sweet potatoes with the cinammon laughing cow cheese
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    If people want to put tons of butter and sour cream on their baked potato, it's not the potatoe's fault. Don't blame the poor baked potato
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Nutrition facts of white potato

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2551/2

Nutrition facts for sweet potato

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2667/2

They're practically identical.

The sweet potato has more vitamin A and 2 mg more Vitamin C

The white potato has slightly more vitamin k

The white potato has far more folate and choline

Vitamin profiles are very different. As is taste.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I like both white and sweet - depends what I'm eating them with :love:
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options

Ohhh thanks for the info!
  • Iron_Feline