How do I not eat the junk if it's in the house?

Options

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Keep your own stash of healthy snacks, or just buy healthier things that everyone can snack on, or buy snacks he likes that you don't. For example, my husband is a huge fan of crisps, but I can take them or leave them, so I'm not really tempted when they're in the house.
  • paige_eloise
    paige_eloise Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Every time I crave, I look at my 'before' pictures. (I don't have any afters yet) but having an honest look at my size quenches my cravings pretty darn quick.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My hubby's always buying junk and ignoring it is not always easy.

If it fits into my calorie goal for the day then I'll have some - I often have chocolate or a piece of cake in the evening.

If you can't abstain completely, then exercise portion control - buy some food scales and weigh out the junk to see what portion size fits your goals for the day.

There's no need to deny yourself anything.
  • denisek80
    denisek80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Why not ask for a cupboard/space for you to buy your own healthy foods and ask your parents to hide the Junk so that you don't know where it is. If your parents love and support you and want you to be healthy too I'm sure you can work something out
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I would never let anyone tell me what to buy or what to eat. If they want it bad enough, they know where the shops are. I take care of my health because I plan on sticking around for a while.

I think it's important not to pathologise certain foods. Carbs will not kill you. Sugar will not strangle you - it's about learning moderation and working things into your daily calorie allowance. If you don't have the calories but still want to have a treat, that is motivation in itself to go for a walk, hit the gym or do a workout. If you rule things out and consider them 'bad' that sometimes has the opposite effect of making you crave them as you've self-imposed a ban.

Also, healthy doesn't have to mean boring! I find I've been so much more creative in meal planning and making snacks for myself since I've been paying close attention to the things I've been eating. In time your family will see you start to lose weight and get fitter, together with eating healthy meals and it may actually rub off on them. Instead of seeing the foods they buy as a negative at the moment, turn it into something positive by leading by example.

:)
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Think about how much excercise it takes to work it off and decide if it is worth it
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Jeez, I'm reading through this read again and seeing how many people are posting complaining about how their husbands are constantly buying junk food and not being supportive. My fiance and I don't yet live together but I can tell you one thing, he is so amazing and doesn't eat any junk when we are together. I called him once and he was eating a bowl of ice cream and he felt terrible for even admitting it and making me crave it.

Sorry you guys don't get the same support. That must suck.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    don't buy it and if someone youlive with buys it, tell them to hide it so you don't know about it
  • CW2OBX
    CW2OBX Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me my wife buys the junk. Every night she has to have chocolate chip cookies. It is not easy when the people around you do not support you on losing weight. I just go to the bedroom and read or get ready for the next day when she has her cookies.
  • SMS090
    SMS090 Posts: 10
    Options
    I 'used to' have the same problem, but what keeps me in line is Psylium Husk, I put 1-2 tablespoons in a glass of water and gulp it down (you need to drink it quite quick because it becomes very thick) and that fills me up because it thickens up (like pudding) in my stomach and makes me feel sooooooooo full!.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    He is the head of the house, he says buy it, I buy it.

:noway:
  • 4mi218
    4mi218 Posts: 1
    Options
    It's much harder when there's junk in the house, so get rid of it! Also, if you have a sweet tooth like me, you can get some fruit squash/juice and freeze it like lolly pops, that way you'll have something sweet but healthy if you feel like snacking!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If you have bought it for another member of the house it is not yours; do not eat it. It does not exist.

I had to do the same with peanut butter!
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I do the grocery shopping for the most part and I don't buy the junk, but my husband will stop at the store and get the treats he knows our daughter likes. I've told him that she doesn't need them either. She is 14 and has a cute little figure but I can see her starting to get a belly and I don't want her to go through what I have struggled with all my life! He tells me to have the will power to not eat it. I tell him you should have the same will power to stop smoking! He says that he wills top when he is ready and I say that's a cop out answer! I don't want to eat the crap, but whe it's there and I don't have anything else healthy prepared, or when it's SHARK week, I can't help myself! It's like an addiction, but he doesn't understand that. I asked him, "how would you like it if you decided to quit smoking and I kept cigaretts in the house and smoked in your face?" He doesn't think that you can be addicted to food like you can be addicted to smoking. He tells me that I'm trying to blame him for being over weight. I try to explain that I'm not blaming him, I'm asking him to be supportive of my efforts and not make it harder for me in my own home. It's a constant battle.

Someone made a good suggestion and advised me to have a designated cabinet for all the junk and then lable that cabinet with a toxic sign! And that way when I go into the pantry, I will only have my healthy choices! It's a great idea, but I haven't had the time to rearrange my cabinets to accomodate this.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You have to decide not to do it. It's up to you. No one can help you.
  • lindaw66
    Options
    I would never let anyone tell me what to buy or what to eat. If they want it bad enough, they know where the shops are. I take care of my health because I plan on sticking around for a while.

I think it's important not to pathologise certain foods. Carbs will not kill you. Sugar will not strangle you - it's about learning moderation and working things into your daily calorie allowance. If you don't have the calories but still want to have a treat, that is motivation in itself to go for a walk, hit the gym or do a workout. If you rule things out and consider them 'bad' that sometimes has the opposite effect of making you crave them as you've self-imposed a ban.

Also, healthy doesn't have to mean boring! I find I've been so much more creative in meal planning and making snacks for myself since I've been paying close attention to the things I've been eating. In time your family will see you start to lose weight and get fitter, together with eating healthy meals and it may actually rub off on them. Instead of seeing the foods they buy as a negative at the moment, turn it into something positive by leading by example.

:)
    Thank you for this :drinker:
  • lindaw66
    Options
    Here's a thought...log it before you eat it and when you see how many useless calories you are eating you MIGHT change your mind!

Another good suggestion, this is what I should do instead of just eating it because I think I want it!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Just.dont.eat.it.period.problem.solved.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    If you have bought it for another member of the house it is not yours; do not eat it. It does not exist.

I had to do the same with peanut butter!

I'm not down with the 'it does not exist' part, but I do think about things in terms of "Oh that's for my son/husband" when I buy them treats... the other thing I do is think to myself, do I want this more than "whatever your goal is" .. however, that being said... if you can fit it in your macro's for the day, then have a treat.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Stop buying junk.

Not the only person in my home....and I cannot enforce my way onto my husband. He is the head of the house, he says buy it, I buy it.

But I have such a difficult time walking past it...I am weak.

Does he tell you to eat it as well?

Maybe it would help if he were to tell you that it's his and not yours? I'm not familiar with this Man is the Boss of Me dynamic, but if you do as you're told in buying it, maybe you'd do as you were told in leaving it the heck alone?

Just an idea. Not a value judgement.

I always say that it might be in the house, but it's not yours. It belongs to the person it belongs to. Like their medication. Or toothbrush.