UK vs North American Cultural Differences

Options

Replies

• Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yeh, the whole metric/imperial thing, I'm from the UK, 34 and could pretty easily cut off a 1oz lump of cheese but ask me to measure 100g of cheese and I have no idea.

Being looked at weirdly in the hotel in Houston when I asked for some milk to go with my tea, I didn't even attempt to ask for skimmed. I hate creamy milk!

I've also noticed that when Americans talk about food on here that there seems to be lots more substitutes ie. sugar subsitutes and various other things like that - don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing. Our food here seems more straight-forward - don't know if anyone else agrees?

Also, as someone else mentioned lots more Americans do the Insanity type workouts - not really suitable for living in a top floor flat (apartment) and jumping around like an elephant on the ceiling below!

American 'chocolate' - nuff said!!

But... I love typical American houses, you get so much more for your money, really spacious, outdoor space, simple designs etc.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I just picture all of you walking around in robes talking like Harry Potter.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I just picture all of you walking around in robes talking like Harry Potter.

only our son...he will be 11 on monday as is waiting for his hogwarts letter lol

martyx
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    UK > We have Chavs
    US > You have Hicks

Aus...we have bogans
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It's interesting here too (I'm currently in Spain) because it's not possible to get a lot of what's considered to be a 'health' food or 'diet' food and the food here is even more straightforward that it is in the UK compared to the US. Most people in Spain don't use artificial anything except maybe a little artificial sweetner in their coffee sometimes.

If I buy some of the foods I like from home like Marmite or Baked Beans, even Peanut Butter the cashiers look at me like I'm strange and ask me what I'm buying and what to do with it!
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    UK > We have Chavs
    US > You have Hicks

Aus...we have bogans

In Ireland they call em knackers, in Boston hoodratz lol.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've noticed there seems to be so much more sodium in food in the US unless that's because I don't eat processed food maybe it's the same here too
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Oh and I forgot, I also learned the hard way that "pants" in the UK were underwear. In the US, pants are jeans and trousers.

I'm in the UK, I call jeans and trousers "pants" too, underwear is underwear. I don't know if it's a regional thing?
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm a Yorkshire lass so we have many many bizarre sayings and phrases that people from 60 miles outside of here don't understand (seriously, my hubby is from Manchester and sometimes even after 6yrs he doesn't understand some things I say lol).

The funniest difference has to be FANNY :)
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I've noticed there seems to be so much more sodium in food in the US unless that's because I don't eat processed food maybe it's the same here too

I think that's more to do with people entering things wrong in the database. I'm constantly correcting the sodium content of things because people seem to think it should be entered in grams and not mg :flowerforyou:
  • witchy_wife
    Options
    Oh I am pretty sure someone from the US posted a photo of some squirty cheese in a can! Don't think I have ever seen that here.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    No, I think thong is funnier than fanny. As in one of my US friends was saying "Its so warm I'm going in to work in my thongs today":laugh: (Here a thing is what you would call a string, I think - really skimpy underwear - whereas she was referring to flip-flops)

Proms are getting bigger over here for post-GCSE (non-selective schools) and post-A-levels (selective schools - i.e. grammar schools).

Our houses and cars are smaller because we have less space to put them in! Our commutes to work take the same time for 1/4 distance for the same reason (although the same US firend thought it was because we all cycled on bikes with baskets on the front:happy: )
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Americans do not consume spotted d!ck.
    spotted-****.jpg
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Americans do not consume spotted d!ck.
    spotted-****.jpg

In fairness, I've yet to meet anyone in the UK that eats this!!! :sick:
  • witchy_wife
    Options
    Spotted **** is awesome!! I love it :)

I love how guys in the US wear "suspenders"........ you bunch of kinky devils :)
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    I went to a British prep school for 11 years so my first stab at the English language was British English. I moved to the US the summer after I turned 11 and started school. It was frustrating when classmates/teachers spoke to me or when I had to pay attention during lessons. The grammar, punctuation, pronunciation, spelling etc., frustrated me to no end! When I visit my parents now I sometimes cringe at my own grammar. My mom giving me the side eye doesn't help either.

Also, my mom had to fight the school to put me in a higher grade. Their argument was because of my age, I would get intimidated by the older kids if they placed me in 7th grade vs. 6. I was so bored in 6th grade, the teacher had to create separate lessons plans and assignments for me. Which of course along with having a 'funny' accent, made me stick out even more. Eventually they moved me up one grade.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I’m from the UK and find the recipe suggestions from US members perplexing.

In the UK I’m used to a recipe consisting of raw, fresh ingredients, whether you strive for a healthy diet or not.

Often a recipe submitted by a US member will contain ingredients where at least 50% are from a packet or a tin (can).

I watched the US Biggest Loser online and the coach was showing his team how to make a smoothie, I was so surprised that the base of the smoothie came out of a packet, why? What’s wrong with adding just fruit to yoghurt, milk or juice?

I hope I’m not being offensive but could this be the cause of US obesity, so, so many basic ingredients appear to be processed.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Zucchini is 'Courgette' to us in the UK!
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    UK > We have Chavs
    US > You have Hicks

Aus...we have bogans

In Ireland they call em knackers, in Boston hoodratz lol.
    Neds in Scotland
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    (I'm from the US).

One thing that I've always found weird is how we refer to the shortened version of the word "mathematics".

US: I need to go do my math. I solved this problem with math.
    UK: I need to go do my maths. I solved this problem with maths.

Always drives me nuts..even though both of them make sense....