bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm Indian, this is a recipe for standard everyday daal:

1 cup of washed masoor daal
    5 cups of water
    3/4tsp turmeric powder
    3/4 tsp red chili powder
    salt to taste

Add everything to a pot & let it boil, then lower it to medium heat, & cook for 20 min. If its too thick you can add up to a cup of boiling water.
    Sautee onion in oil, brown a bit & then add ginger & cook on low for a few min. Pour on top of daal and add fresh sliced green chilis.

Daal is a very basic food - sweet potatoes, coconut milk etc do NOT go in it!

Pretty sure this is how it's made at my house..Im no cook, though. When my mom cooks it, she also adds whole peanuts. Usually eaten with rice, i have this with rotis or as a soup.

So very very Good!
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • brewstone
    brewstone Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I loooooooooove daal.

I have adapted the tarka daal and made what I lovingly call 'green daal' which is awesome with fish or chicken or curries. Huge source of iron thanks to the spinach and fragrant with coriander/cilantro, chilli and ginger.

250g/9oz chana dal (yellow split peas) or red lentils, rinsed until the water runs clear

1 litre/1¾ pints water

3 tbsp vegetable oil

1 tbsp cumin seeds

1 small onion, chopped

3-4 whole green chillies, pricked with a knife

2cm/¾in piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips

3 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole

3 tomatoes

¾ tsp ground turmeric

1 tsp garam masala

1½ tsp ground coriander

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 Bunch chopped fresh coriander/cilantro leaves

1 bunch fresh green spinach or frozen will do

Shredded green onions, chopped fresh green chilli and toasted coconut to garnish

Juice of 1/2 a lime.

Preparation method

1.Place the lentils and 900ml/1¾ pints of the water into a pan, stir well and bring to the boil. Skim off any froth that forms on the surface of the water with a spoon. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer, stirring regularly, for 35-40 minutes, or until the lentils are just tender, adding more water as necessary.

2.When the lentils have cooked through, remove the pan from the heat and use a whisk to break down the lentils. Set the mixture aside to thicken and cool.

3.Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and fry for 20-30 seconds, or until fragrant.

4.Add the onion, chillies and ginger and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown.

5.Blend the garlic and tomatoes to a purée in a food processor. Add the purée to the pan and stir well to combine.

6.Add the ground spices and 100ml/3½fl oz of water to the pan and stir well to combine. Season, to taste, with salt and simmer over a medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the oil from the sauce has risen to the surface of the sauce.

7. In a seperate pan wilt the spinach. Add this to a blender/food processor and blend with the fresh coriander/cilantro. Squeeze lime juice into it.

8.Add the cooked lentils to the sauce and stir well, adding more water as necessary to loosen the mixture. Stir through the 'green' mixture. Bring the mixture to the boil and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Garnish with chopped chilli, toasted coconut and green onions.

Serve with a big *kitten* chappati.
  • jazzyminx
    jazzyminx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • animalgurl000
    animalgurl000 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I was going to pick the ingredients up to put in the crockpot for tomorrow, but now I don't know if I need 2 spices (The basic recipe) or if I need to pick up 10 different ones! Hmmm..... Maybe I will put this off til the weekend.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    You only need the 2 spices - trust me, I'm Indian, grew up eating this every day. Daal is not complicated.