10 Things You Need to Know to Lose Weight

Options
12346»

Replies

• Wishusdonna
    Wishusdonna Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I saw the Horizon programme and thought it was pretty good.

The points made in the list are being taken as generalisms though, and really there is no one size fits all solution to weight loss. Also they are phrased without explanation, so you can't tell whether it would apply to you or not.

The plate size thing is psychological. We have started buying bigger dinner plates and have a tendency to help ourselves to larger portions if our serving spoons or plates are bigger, or if we see more food in front of us. This theory was also featured on a programme called Secret Eaters last week.

And the skipping meals thing... I've read studies on the Weight Watchers site that show if you continue to watch what you eat and there is no difference in your calorific intake, skipping meals is not a problem. However, I know I can't do that as I get ratty. The Horizon programme and a similar programme earlier this year with Dr Alice Roberts looked at this theory and she was asked to not eat for 24 hours after breakfast, at which she was given a free choice from a range of different breakfast items. At breakfast the next day, she was given free choice from a range of different breakfast items, and this demonstrated that after starving herself, she went for bigger portions of the same and fattier, more sugary foods as well on top. This was apparently typical of the study results they were looking at, that show we have a tendency to overcompensate if we think we have missed out, and programmes like Supersize vs Superskinny frequently show people skipping their breakfast 'meal' and overcompensating with sugary or fatty mid-morning 'snacks', which they psychologically aren't counting.

And so, I have scientifically proven, that I watch way too much TV. And yet, I still am bigger than I ought to be, wonder why??? (Don't worry, working on it!)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    This thread has so much e-peen stroking.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Because you don't agree doesn't mean it is wrong, if it worked for the person that is posting the information it isn't wrong... what works for one person doesn't work for others but it doesn't mean they are wrong.. we are all looking for what works for us and personally I appreciate any information that others have to give... doesn't mean I agree with everything posted but I don't feel the need to criticize....
    But the claim is that the strategies are scientifically proven..................................when they aren't. If that's what the person states worked for them, then that should be the statement. At that point, it's a opinion and not a claim of absolutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    To all you so called "experts" ... if losing weight is such a "science" then why is losing weight so hard for so many people...how many different conflicting information has there been through the years.... you have your opinion and that is fine, I respect that, but you are not necessarily "right"... next year there will be new theories and new facts and new opinions... the bottom line we all have the right to believe what we want and post what we want.... I've read the word "stupid" too many times to respect you "experts".... here's a saying for you to follow, "if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all" and that is "correct" advice
    My experience on why people have a hard time losing weight is because of lack of consistency and denial. Yes there are some who suffer from hormonal maladies and physical disabilities, but the general public who does have a hard time usually fail somewhere in the week or day and cause their own demise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Really?

1. Doesn't make a difference. I don't eat breakfast. I hate eating in the morning and it DOESN'T keep me full like people say, it makes me hungrier throughout the day. I've been losing weight just fine.
    2. I can pile up a 10" plate or have a 12" plate with a reasonable amount of food on it. If I'm measuring and counting, it's the same amount and I don't need the whole psychological "I'm eating a full plate" thing.
    3. Obviously.
    4. Wait, what? My metabolism was in the gutter while recovering. Some people have thyroid problems (like my mother who eats a very reasonable amount of food for her height and weight and still can't lose because she has an underactive thyroid and can't get the medication.) It plays a huge role in weight loss.
    5. Eating protein is good for you. This is pretty much a no-brainer.
    6. Soup tends to be full of sodium and really isn't that filling. *shrug*
    7. Fat doesn't make you fat. You need fat for healthy brain function. Low fat is a gimmick from a couple decades ago. And some people are lactose intolerant. The dairy I consume amounts to about one 4oz package of greek yogurt a month or so (I'm not lactose intolerant, I just don't like dairy.) I'm not going to eat something I don't like. Besides, I get more calcium from my soy or almond milk, which is really the only reason I would ever feel the need to consume dairy. Yeah, and have been losing weight just fine.
    8. You don't need to exercise to lose weight. You need to eat less than you burn. Exercise is essential for overall health, but not weight loss.
    9. :huh:
    10. Okay, I just can't anymore. Just. Can't. With. This. :laugh:

Well, I needed to know all of that to lose weight... Actually, all I needed to know was:

1. Eat at a deficit.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Really?

1. Doesn't make a difference. I don't eat breakfast. I hate eating in the morning and it DOESN'T keep me full like people say, it makes me hungrier throughout the day. I've been losing weight just fine.
    2. I can pile up a 10" plate or have a 12" plate with a reasonable amount of food on it. If I'm measuring and counting, it's the same amount and I don't need the whole psychological "I'm eating a full plate" thing.
    3. Obviously.
    4. Wait, what? My metabolism was in the gutter while recovering. Some people have thyroid problems (like my mother who eats a very reasonable amount of food for her height and weight and still can't lose because she has an underactive thyroid and can't get the medication.) It plays a huge role in weight loss.
    5. Eating protein is good for you. This is pretty much a no-brainer.
    6. Soup tends to be full of sodium and really isn't that filling. *shrug*
    7. Fat doesn't make you fat. You need fat for healthy brain function. Low fat is a gimmick from a couple decades ago. And some people are lactose intolerant. The dairy I consume amounts to about one 4oz package of greek yogurt a month or so (I'm not lactose intolerant, I just don't like dairy.) I'm not going to eat something I don't like. Besides, I get more calcium from my soy or almond milk, which is really the only reason I would ever feel the need to consume dairy. Yeah, and have been losing weight just fine.
    8. You don't need to exercise to lose weight. You need to eat less than you burn. Exercise is essential for overall health, but not weight loss.
    9. :huh:
    10. Okay, I just can't anymore. Just. Can't. With. This. :laugh:

Well, I needed to know all of that to lose weight... Actually, all I needed to know was:

1. Eat at a deficit.
    stop lying. you have to eat every 5 minutes or your body will go into starvation mode and magically gain 15000 calories of energy from nowhere stored into fat