Buying Clothes Too Small

Options

Replies

• pghlulu
    pghlulu Posts: 42
    Options
    At that price, and only a size smaller (if that's attainable), I think you are OK.

I didn't ever do that because I felt like it put pressure on. But I also once had a closet full of clothes that were never going to fit just because of my body type, not even due to size, and they actually demotivated me. I finally threw them out!
  • Valerie_Malone
    Valerie_Malone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, I don't need to buy smaller sizes, because all my old clothes are smaller than what I wear now. I keep telling myself that I have to be able to fit into some of them by the summer, I can't afford to buy another waredrobe for summer because I got lazy.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your looking at a realistic body size, buying a size smaller isn't a bad idea at all. In fact, I recently bought a pair of shorts that are a bit small, but I know that when I do fit in them that I'll be where I want to be and it won't be going to far. I have them out on top of my dresser as a reminder that I want to fit in them by this summer!!! :) I think it helps with motivation as well, because I sure as hell don't like spending money and wasting it, even if it's a dollar!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Sure, for £9 go for it. I've bought a few items at clearance prices that were too small and ended up fitting into them eventually. If it's inexpensive and you really want it, and it's in a size that is realistic for you, go for it!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I frequently buy clothes that are no more than two sizes too small so I can wear them when I fit into them if they are on sale. I currently wear a 14 (tight) or 16 (loose) so I'll buy a 14 or 12 if they're under $10 or 15. I wouldn't go out and buy a 4, though because I don't know if and when I'd be able to wear it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If I see a really good deal on something a little smaller than what I am currently wearing, I'll buy it. I don't have the money to pay full price for everything as I go down in sizes. I usually hang up my favorite item on my wall so I see it every morning when i am trying to crawl back in bed instead of heading down to workout. Of course, I did end up with a good amount of new clothes that I had to pack away before even being able to wear them when I got pregnant. I have a lot of work to do for this fall!
  • Angelsrose12
    Angelsrose12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I say go for it based on what you said. One size is totally doable! And I love the idea of hanging it on the wall for motivation! I tend to go a size smaller when I am between clothes as well. Good luck!
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'd go for it! I bought 2 pairs of shorts when I started from Penney's (Primark) at 5 euro each - they were too friggin' cute and I wanted em. I bought one pair in just about my current size (barely fit) and one in the size smaller (TOO small). I take photos and weigh myself and measure myself to track my progress. I've lost pounds and inches but could NOT see a difference in the photos OR in the mirror. Today, I zipped up the TOO small shorts. It's like the measuring tape - objective because my eyes sometimes can't tell.
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I buy a pair of pants one size smaller than where I am and I work into them. Its worked for 6 pant sizes!
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    For that price I might. My only concern with buying something too small is that you can't be sure it will look good on you when you're that size.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! You said it doesn't cost that much and if it motivates you to stay focused all the better. I have definitely bought clothes too small and actually we are going to a wedding this weekend and I am wearing a cocktail dress I never thought would fit.
    Good luck!:happy:
  • Pinkkfrost
    Pinkkfrost Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I currently have 3 shirts that are one to two sizes too small. Like...I could get in them, but it's just not pretty. And they're brand new, but they were all on sale, so I had to have them. Normally, I would never advocate to do that because I watched my mom have multiple closets for multiple sizes for decades...But here on MFP, we're working toward a common goal of becoming better versions of ourselves, so WHY NOT have that beautiful, attainable reward waiting for us!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider if the material-- most fibers stretch, not shrink, with wear. Last fall I bought some new work pants because the ones I had were way too big. I decided to go with a size 2 because the size 0 was a little tight in the thighs and butt and I didn't expect to lose any more weight. Big mistake! A couple months later the pants felt too big. I hadn't lost any weight during this time period but I was doing a lot of barre which works the lower body and core. I also think the fibers of the material had relaxed a little so it was looser. When I wanted some spring pants I bought the size 0 and was really happy I did; after a couple wears they fit pretty well.
  • nycgirlie87
    Options
    ooo i love asos.

I say.. wait. Asos will always have good stuff when you reach your goal

Reward yourself when you hit your goal - don't buy clothes unless you really need it. that's what i'm doing! because who knows, maybe that dress will be too big one day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If it inspires one to get into them, the go for it. But DON'T try to fit into it if you can't. Things falling over or hanging out isn't that attractive.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • miniosiris
    Options
    I had 4 vintage dresses in my wardrobe that had fitted me some years ago but not for a while. I couldn't bare to give them to a charity shop so had them hung in my spare bedroom where I exercise as motivation. Last week all 4 dresses fitted me. Now I am motivated to keep the weight off and continue toning so they continue to fit me. Next goal which I am very close to is to get back into my wedding dress for a silver wedding anniversary photo shoot I want my husband to do later this month :wink:
  • chaoticxinsane
    Options
    Guilty as charged with corsets!

I have a 30" waist, which means for corsets, I'd look for a 26-28" depending on the style (down to a 24" waist training). I own a 22" XD It was 25 bucks for a steel boned underbust. I couldn't resist!

Surprisingly, the 22" actually fits me the best out of all of them, since it's JUST the right cut to suit my shape and takes my waist in beautifully, but very comfortably. You never know!

(It's the one on the far right in my picture. The grey one on the left is actually too large now and fully shuts in the back!)

As far as "normal" clothes, I'll occasionally get pants/skirts that are a bit of a squeeze only because my size is a big question mark (8s here, 12s there, still have a 14 that's snug... I hate women's sizing) if they're on clearance. Learned my lesson with seasonal clothes, though. NONE of my shorts fit!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna lose the weight anyway, why not? My only concern would be that even if you fit into it, it might not "fit" right due to whatever shape you end up being when you lose weight.
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Do it! I did that a few times and never really kept at the diet, but it looks like I'll be able to wear all my new clothes this summer!!
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the cut and/or material though! Sometimes you CAN fit into sizes smaller than your usual! If it is motivation then sure! It isn't an extravagant investment either so why not! But if it discourages you because you can't fit in then don't. There a plenty other lovely clothings out there that you'll fall in love with! Spend the money on healthy foods instead :)