How much do you spend on groceries?

Options
Eating better CAN be more expensive. All that fresh produce adds up. I think my wife and I spend about $500 a month, which seems like a lot. I've been doing more beans and cheap veggies like cabbage and buying less meat and cheese. Just curious how much everybody else is blowing at the supermarket.

Replies

• JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I usually spend $80-100/week for food only to feed Family of 3 (Me, Hubby and a 2 year old) Certain things we buy at Costco like snacks, ground turkey, etc in bulk but with all other non food essentials, so probably another $100/month there so probably about $500.00/month or so, give or take.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Family of 4-$125-150/wk
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I usually spend $50-$70 dollars per week, plus going out for a couple of meals. Which we should stop. That'd save a lot of money. So around $200-$300 per month, plus another $100 on eating out. California sucks.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We probably spend $300-400 a month for myself, boyfriend and 7 year old daughter. We do a lot of trips through the week and usually spend at least $40-50 each time. I just find good meats cost a lot.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Not all areas of the world pay the same for food so it's hard to compare.

There is one thing concerning food cost that I like to point out to people though.

Pound for pound, fresh food is cheaper than processed. For example...a pound of potatoes cost 50 to 100 times LESS than a pound of potato chips.

Just some food for thought. :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Break it down like this for a micro perspective rather than a macro one...

$500/4 weeks = $125 per week

$125/2 people = 62.50 per person, per week

Let's assume 3 meals per day...that's 21 meals per week per person...

62.50/21 = $2.98 per meal...that's pretty flippin' cheap.

My wife and I w/ 3 yr old and 8 month old spend about $200 per week...but that usually includes other incidentals like diapers...and booze for me...and wine...lots of wine...
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My wife and I w/ 3 yr old and 8 month old spend about $200 per week...but that usually includes other incidentals like diapers...and booze for me...and wine...lots of wine...

I don't bother separating out the non-food items from the grocery store. We can't buy booze at ours, so I don't count that. If I did... ugg, another $30-$40 probably.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I feed a family of 4 for about $60-$100 per week. Including treats and one take out meal per week. So, I'd say about $300 or so per month.

I shop 2-3 time per week at a few different stores in our neighborhood. I buy what is on sale and that's what we eat that week, with the exception of a few staple items that my kids wouldn't survive without (apples, oranges, bananas, fish, milk, cheese),
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Break it down like this for a micro perspective rather than a macro one...

$500/4 weeks = $125 per week

$125/2 people = 62.50 per person, per week

Let's assume 3 meals per day...that's 21 meals per week per person...

62.50/21 = $2.98 per meal...that's pretty flippin' cheap.

Oh, we're counting the wine and beer are we??? Well in that case add an extra $20 or so to my weekly food bill. Ok probably $30...
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For my daughter and I we spend about $375.00 every two weeks but it is all fresh and I mean fresh produce or dried products such as lentils and beans. I bake my own breads using the vitamix dry blade. Fruit is fresh. I could save a little more by separating my own eggs. People look at my diary and see chipotle on it. I actually make the brown rice, beans, guacamole etc but use that on the app to track macros. My proteins are primarily Chicken breast, Turkey breast, sirloin, salmon, tilapia, and sometimes scallops.
  • mishacarlson
    mishacarlson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We spend $200/week on average for me, hubby and 7 year son.
    and eat 5-6 dinners a week from our kitchen.
    We all bring our lunch from home during the week and eat out on the weekends.
    That is a mix of fresh and convenience foods. I tend to eat cleaner than hubby does.
    I eat dinner leftovers or salads for lunch.
    Hubby eats sandwiches, Chunky Soups and snack foods for lunch.
    Son also eats sandwiches, with fresh fruit and some sort of processed snack for lunch.
    2 gallons of milk/week
    1/2 gallon almond milk/week
    2 boxes cereal
    2 cases of pop/week (awful habit of DH, but better than the old beer habit :))
    5# chicken/week
    2# pork chops
    2# ground turkey breast or lean ground beef
    Produce varies

We are in the mid-west so mid-to-low cost of living. But still, we pay more in groceries than we do for our mortgage, taxes, insurance and more in gas than our 2 car payments. Totally backwards.
  • QuHeCTiC24
    QuHeCTiC24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ummm where does everyone live?

Over $200 per week just to feed me and my wife. I'm in Philadelphia.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    ummm where does everyone live?

Over $200 per week just to feed me and my wife. I'm in Philadelphia.

New Mexico...and we do 98% of our grocery shopping and other shopping at Costco...bulk warehouse prices. I never thought I'd be eating 3-5 Lbs of broccoli in a week...but I do now, so makes my Costco membership very worth it.
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I don't bother separating out the non-food items from the grocery store. We can't buy booze at ours, so I don't count that. If I did... ugg, another $30-$40 probably.

are you in the bible belt? that sucks lol.... we can buy booze at drive through shops, every gas station, every supermarket most pharmacy's in fact the liquor store is one of the rarest places for me to buy booze. although i dont drink that much so could really not care but still.... wow
  • brighteyes124
    brighteyes124 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We try and limit it to about $100 a week for my fiance and myself. That's not including we usually eat out at least once on the weekends, so that's another ~$50. But we don't spend a lot of money on other stuff, we don't go to the movies much or shopping. Food is our hobby lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Approximately $100 a week to feed a family of 3.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Last night for dinner for 6 people with enough left over for all of us to eat it for dinner tonight I spent 16.72.

So for 12 meals it come out to $1.39 per meal per person. :bigsmile:

Oh, and it was a huge salad (romaine, carrot, celery, and tomato), penne with a bolognese sauce and sourdough bread.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Now that I bought all the essentials like buying quinoa, almond meal, pb2, etc.
    It costs me around $20 - average/weekly.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    About $400 for the two of us. That also includes things like detergent and shampoo.

Ugh.

I do the bulk of it at Walmart but then get things like most meat and produce at the local grocer as the quality is about a billion times better.

We also almost never eat out and when we do it's cheap, so ALL of our meals come out of that $400.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Long Island, NY here...

For a family of 3 + one absentee young adult, it costs us under 100 $ weekly in produce, milk, bread etc. (@trader joe's)

We spend about 400 $ every 4 to 6 wks at costco for meats, fish, rice, pasta and other pantry staples.

We don't eat out much.